Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Looking to get two monitors

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to get two monitors

I used to do really good with computer research and all that jazz, but it's gotten away from me... stuff moves too fast.

I haven't bought a monitor since... '06?? So I don't know what a proper budget is. I see single monitors from $130 to nearly a grand
I'm looking to get a pair of monitors for home use.
Mainly for working (I'm a software guy, so I do Visual Studio, SQL, other code monkey chores). Screen real estate is a beautiful thing. If I could afford it, I'd have 3 monitors of slightly smaller size than if I got two, but I'm thinking the cost would be more than I want.
I still game a bit
I have a 52" plasma in the living room, so I really don't need them to double as as a TV.
I'm thinking the 24" - 27" is the sweet spot?

Anyone got some help?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 2 of these right now:
Samsung 22" 1080p LED TV

I bought TVs over actual computer monitors because it was cheaper than monitors that had the same capabilities, plus I use my second monitor for my PS3 and other gaming. I think they cost about $230 each when I bought them. They both do 1920x1080 resolution.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
TheSloth has a spectacular aura aboutTheSloth has a spectacular aura about
Name: David
TheSloth's Tacoma Gallery
I use two 32" lcd tvs to look at blueprints all day long with no problems.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I got 2 cheaper 20" Acers. Would have liked a little bigger but at 200 for the both it was a pretty good deal. They're low end but I've had no issues.

I could never go back to having a single monitor after having duals for years both at home and work.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I found a USB 3.0 dock for about $150. It allows you to add 2 more monitors on your system. Good for Windows 7. Text and low to moderate graphics are excellent. I wouldn't use it for CAD or Extreme games but plenty fast enough for most power users and average gamers.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Len...n/2717714.aspx
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
You really need to figure out how much you can spend for dual monitors and work from there. Currently I run 4 LG IPS236 monitors sitting on Planar dual monitor stands and can't believe how much they are so useful to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
for monitors, 27" is a major price point change, ...getting above 27" and things get expensive quick... for LCD tvs, 32" is a major point, above 32" things get expensive (though much less so than even a few yrs ago).. most of the monitors are going to LED backlighting, ...basically two ways of doing this: 1) "edge-lit", and 2) true "backlit"... IMO, the latter is better than the former,... the edge-lit displays are the most prominent probably because it's cheaper to manuf and makes for very thin-profile and lightweight displays... however, most edge-lit displays i've seen "bleed" light around the interface where the LCD screen meets the bezel..

i still think some of the old CCFL (cold cathode flourescent backlight) LCDs give better colors, event though they supposedly use more power... however my setup is currently this:
1) primary monitor: 32" LG LCD tv (CCFL-backlit)
2) secondary monitor: 27" ASUS LCD monitor (LED backlit, edge-lit)...

the "picture" on the LG looks better, and being a "tv", it has much better sounding speakers than the tiny speakers on the ASUS... IDK, i'm a fan of using LCD tvs as monitors for those reasons, as long as 1920x1080 pixels is what you're after... plus this ASUS monitor came w/ two clusters of dead pixels, but i was too lazy to send it back, and they are located on the peripehery of the LCD display so not too annoying...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Based on reviews I'm currently leaning towards the Del U2412m, but they also released the S series... which has no ratings
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
If OP is still in the market. I would check tigerdirect.com for good prices. This is where I buy all my computer items. They seem to have the best deals. Fry's is another place I check. I picked up last christmas, a 24" widescreen for my son for $130.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Nuggety

I already ended up getting a pair of Dell U2412m from B&H
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I bet you're loving those.
I just got my first IPS panel monitor (Asus PA248Q) and I can't believe the contrast I was missing with my previous monitors. The color and contrast is beautiful. And having USB 3 ports on the side is a bonus.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Nuggety

Ha, I watched some Netflix and said, "Well, damn."

Products Discussed in this Thread