Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Windows 8.....Microsoft dropped the ball?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Question Windows 8.....Microsoft dropped the ball?

Just got a new laptop yesterday with the new Windows 8.......first thought, It sucks! Maybe my thoughts will change over time but I doubt it. Instead of a list of programs under the "Start" button, there is just a big page of tiles or app buttons like on smart phones.

Anyone else used it? thoughts?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, a fellow ADA guy. Who would have thought?

Check out this link to fix that issue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpb5cp-Mfw

I used the 1st method...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Windows has a hard time picking the ball up in the first place, of course they dropped the ball!

MAC FTW
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Nope you're our guinea pig on this one
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
I only installed it because windows was offering windows 8 pro for $39...

1st thing I did was use the 1st method in that video I posted above to get my normal start button back, lol....

Here is the link to the offer if anyone is interested...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w..._FPP_Null_Null
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Windows 8 is awesome for touchscreen devices. Mouse and keyboard..not so much.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
Hey, a fellow ADA guy. Who would have thought?

Check out this link to fix that issue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpb5cp-Mfw

I used the 1st method...
Awesome video....that dude sounds extreme!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I heard you can't even have two different app windows up at the same time, is that true?????????
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I have no need spending money on 8, at least no yet. So far none of the previews/reviews convinced me otherwise.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I heard you can't even have two different app windows up at the same time, is that true?????????
Not true. I am testing Windows Server 2012, essentially the same. It's not Crap like Vista is, it's just new. New layout should be kept on touchscreen devices in my opinion.

As demonstrated you can get the Desktop Experience back.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
You can do an 80/20 split if the app allows for it. You still get normal usage out of traditional apps.

Personally, I say their execution was a flub, but they did a great thing - they are reinventing themselves and tossing away a lot draconian rules. They are daring to dream a bit, and we need that. With Windows 7, we are still technically on the same user experience as we were 17 years ago.

Win 8 is fast and so far seems very stable, so I don't think you can dismiss it as a crap release. However, it's not very user friendly. My hope is that they do quick, incremental releases - Win 8.1, 8.2, etc. - for a nominal cost, improving on what they already have to market.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Well looks like im going to have to go back to 7. I've been having random issues with missing keystrokes and stuck keys. I bought a new keyboard and its still there. Plus, the FTDI comm drivers for our demo boards doesnt seem to be working.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Apple FTW
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'm still using windows xp!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
Is the patten holding true?

Absolutely agree about Windows 8 being SHIT and I am a Microsoft lover. I've been playing with Windows 8 Beta for the last 6 months using it on a PC and a HP Slate 500 and the only thing I can think is that this is complete garbage.....
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
I was using windows 8 yesterday and it was interesting, i do agree that the new layout with the apps would be a lot better on a touch screen, the laptop i was using was a shitty touch screen but it was still cool using.

one thing i noticed was that it was extremely difficult to find apps, it took like 10 minutes for the guy who was running the demo to find the travel app and the maps app. It also seemed like it was difficult to get to settings, atleast from the start menu or whatever its called.

overall i only played with it for like 10 minutes but i wasnt impressed. the new layout looks cool but i feel like it is way more difficult than it should be.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
i have it, and like it. starts up much faster, and is generally faster IMO. start thing doesnt bother me, takes some getting used to though.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
It also seemed like it was difficult to get to settings, atleast from the start menu or whatever its called.
Swipe in from the right (touch screen or gesture touchpad) to reveal the Charms Bar. It's right there. . .
(or if you are using only a mouse hover over the upper right or lower right corner)

This isn't rocket science people
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Swipe in from the right (touch screen or gesture touchpad) to reveal the Charms Bar. It's right there. . .
(or if you are using only a mouse hover over the upper right or lower right corner)

This isn't rocket science people
yeah we figured it out eventually, maybe its the fact the guy showing me stuff was using it really quickly even though he didnt know what he was doing. ill just have to play with it more