Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Recommendations on finding silence?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Recommendations on finding silence?

As part of the development team at my work, we spread our work areas into other departments so we can get perspective from that area.

Currently, I work in a cubicle in the purchasing department.
Unfortunately, the purchasing department has piped music into the ceiling, and the speaker is 10 feet from my head. The guy that manages the music sets it to one of two radio stations - top 40 or country. I get to hear about 10 songs repeated 5 times a day, with a few random songs I hate thrown in for 'variety'.

As a programmer, I'm typically thinking really hard. I'm the type that needs it quiet, otherwise I'm distracted.

Can anyone recommend earplugs or noise-canceling headphones that will block 60db of radio CRAP???
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Wire cutters! lol
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
You could put some sound deadening materials over the speakers. Personally, I'd complain to HR and say that the music is affecting your work.

I also work in a cube farm but we are not allowed to have music that isn't going into head phones, for obvious reasons.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Mike, i suppose the first question is: is it acceptable to have your hearing completely disabled? my wife works with several talented programmers and relays to me their need for silence/seclusion. personally, i have found good old-fashioned rubber ear plugs (the graduating-size type) found readily available at home-center stores, can be very effective. i sever the cord, if necessary, and find they work well
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations on finding silence?-400.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Home Depot/ lowes and get noise canceling headphones
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I decided to work from home the rest of the day
Also, we are moving offices around soon - going to be back in my old office with a door and no speakers