Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Memory Slot problems

Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Memory Slot problems

I have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186125

When I got it from my older brother, it already had 2g of RAM (2x1g sticks) and it said on the specs I could go up to 8g of RAM max. I bought myself a 2g stick and I come to find that BOTH of the secondary RAM slots do not read the RAM sticks. Anyone know why this happens/how to fix this/etc.? Would be nice to have 4g of RAM right now.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Without looking at the specs what RAM is it supposed to take and what did you put in?

Okay, I found it DDR2 800. Some boards don't like a single stick in a channel when there are two sticks in another channel. Some boards like to run with matching sticks as well. Try pulling out the one gig sticks and just use the 2 gig stick.

I would have bought two 2 gig sticks and removed the one gig sticks or 4 2 gig sticks.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Without looking at the specs what RAM is it supposed to take and what did you put in?

Okay, I found it DDR2 800. Some boards don't like a single stick in a channel when there are two sticks in another channel. Some boards like to run with matching sticks as well. Try pulling out the one gig sticks and just use the 2 gig stick.

I would have bought two 2 gig sticks and removed the one gig sticks or 4 2 gig sticks.
did that. I first tried to put the 1g in the slot next to the 2g, but it didn't even read it. So then I put it next to the 1g one, and same thing happened. I made sure there wasn't anything in the slots too, kind of dusty inside the tower.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
they insert? dont show? what os and bit are you running?
i dont remember what the g's are but i know on win 7 it caps you on 32 and to get the rest u have to use 64.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did you try just the 2 gig stick by itself? Just trying to figure out if you got a bad stick.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Windows 7, 32bit is limited too 4 gigs of ram. 64 bit will allow you to have more.

Did you put the 2gb ram in the slot where the 1gb ram was? Did that work?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
they insert? dont show? what os and bit are you running?
i dont remember what the g's are but i know on win 7 it caps you on 32 and to get the rest u have to use 64.
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Did you try just the 2 gig stick by itself? Just trying to figure out if you got a bad stick.
The 2g should be reading. I have this program called CCLeaner, it tells me what kind of processor/RAM and video card I'm using. Found this out right now too. As of now, the RAM reads out to 3.0 (on the CCleaner program) and this is ONLY with ONE 2g and ONE 1g in the slot (seperate - hope I am not confusing). When I had TWO 1g RAM sticks in the slots next to each other, it would read out to 3.2g of RAM (this is when I had ALL 3 RAM sticks put into the slots - 1g (x2) and 2g (x1)... ... why is this?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

from a quick google 32 bit is capped at either 3gb ram or 4gb.

at work, limited research supplies.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
from a quick google 32 bit is capped at either 3gb ram or 4gb.

at work, limited research supplies.
from the searching, it came out to about 3.5g MAX LAME thanks guys. going to go outside and kick rocks for a bit.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Yeti Hunter

glad i could help, time to go up to 64!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
You will not have access to full 4 gigs on 32 bit OS. 3GB+ is correct.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
My pee parts itch

Use BIOS to check whether your RAM is showing up or not.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
How much RAM does WinXP see now? Are you using onboard video? That will probably be sharing some of your RAM. Although, I would think even if video was sharing up to 512MB, WinXp should still see the other 3.5GB.