Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

What kind of TV lasts the longest?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company
Name: Andrew
ikillterrorists's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of TV lasts the longest?

I'm looking for a 60" and up TV for my parents for Christmas, to replace the giant Mitsubishi projection TV they have had for the last 20+ years. I know I will not find a TV that is made nowadays that will outlast that, but does anything come close?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
This ought to be good. My older Brother has a Panasonic plasma that's almost ten years old, still looks great. I've got a two year old Samsung LED that has took a shit on me, prolly will wait till after the holidays to check on repairing it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
we have two panasonic plasmas that we have had for probably 8 years old now with zero problems and have gone through a couple moves up and down the east coast.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I have had 5 Sony's now. I was able to donate the last 3 to charity and all were still working in great shape with no problems. I currently have a 5YO 40in that has a great picture with no problems and a 3yo 52in with no problems.

I have had Sony's for over 30years now and none have given me any problems at all.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Hmm yeah the Panasonics do have the highest reviews on Amazon.

How about Mitsubishi projections? I'm thinking about a 73"...and since my parents' Mitsubishi has lasted this long (even after my brother threw a baseball at the screen when we were kids), maybe I'll stick with the brand?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
..one thing i've come to know is that not all "models" made by a given manufacturer are built w/ the same quality/components/etc - i.e. "brand x" may make a really nice 32" model, but not as nice 42" model, ..etc... so going by brand alone may not be a good indicator of "performance/quality/etc"... variables: panel, video processor, backlight source/design, etc.

i like to check out the findings here when looking at tvs and the latest pros/cons and "whats" and "whys"
http://hdguru.com/
Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 27" Sony CRT that lasted 12 years , replaced by a 52" Sony XBR9 that's been great for 3 and I have a 40" Sony HX701 that is awesome as well
Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Sort of related: Make sure the TV isn't too large for the distance people will be sitting from it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ecommendations

A lot of people make the mistake of getting a TV too large for the room.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Panasonic Plasma. Half-brightness rating of 100,000 hours for the new models.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
Sony!!!

I have a 16 yr old sony projection that stays on 24/7. I'm just waiting for the thing to die but the damn thing just won't.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
This ought to be good. My older Brother has a Panasonic plasma that's almost ten years old, still looks great. I've got a two year old Samsung LED that has took a shit on me, prolly will wait till after the holidays to check on repairing it.
I feel your pain. I am done with Samsung. My Samsung DVD player crapped out 2 weeks past warranty, and was only used 5 or 6 times.

My Dad's 5 year old Samsung was repaired twice before he gave up, and my 3 year old Samsung LED's power supply crapped a month past warranty, and now the screen is going out .

I am curious what others have to say. I have been considering Vizio, as a few of my friends have them and they are holding up well.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 Samsung TV's, an older LCD and newer plasma.

The LCD had to have the capacitors replaced (under warranty) and the plasma had to have the whole panel replaced (again, under warranty). I will never buy another Samsung product again...

Panasonic is the brand to buy, IMO.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
OffRdn916 is on a distinguished road
OffRdn916's Tacoma Gallery
Have had my Plasma 42" Panasonic for years now. Not a single burn in or problem to report.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 32" Sony bravia for about 10 years now with zero issues.
I also have a 3 year old 46" Samsung tv and I love it!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
My family has always gone with Sony when it comes to tv's. We've never had one fail. I recently gave my brother an old 46" Sony lcd that i bought when I was 18. I replaced it with a 55" Sony HX929. If I would've waited a few more months, I could have bought their new HX950 . O well, i'm happy with my tv. Looks almost too life-like sometimes! haha

My friend recently purchased one of those Samsung's with all the motion control crap, it took a shit on him after a month. The motion and voice controls were unresponsive and the display got stuck pixels. It would also freez and turn on by itself in the middle of the night . He took it back and got a 55" HX850. He's been happy ever since.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I've had great luck with Sony...my 52 inch XBR4 from 2006 still looks and works like new.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I've generally always been partial to Samsung, however I've had mixed results lately. Have a 32" LCD that I've had for 5 years and it's been flawless. On the other hand the 40" Samsung I have started acting up after only 2 years. Now it sporadically gives me issues, but has been okay as of late. Have a 22" LG at the place at the beach that has been fine, although it doesn't get used all that much.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #18

Interesting that so many people have issues with Samsung. I have always heard that Samsung makes the best HD TV's...until you take it home with you for a few years I suppose...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
You're literally just paying for the name when it comes to Samsung. With Sony, your paying for the name AND quality. I would go with a Vizio over Samsung.

They make nice phones, though. My Galaxy S3 is the shit! haha
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
Brand loyalty to Sony over the years has paid off...no issues, great picture sharpness,color over other brands. My latest Sony Bravia takes three people to move it. If not Sony, Hitachi[sp?] is a good choice...I.M.H.O.