Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Need NAS or Cloud backup

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
J11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant future

J11Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Need NAS or Cloud backup

My company needs to start retaining all backed up data. We were using Carbonite, but I don't like the way they are set up for administrator access to data. Basically, HR is requesting that even overwritten files are kept backed up. Like I said, I've been using Carbonite for 2 years now, but they delete previous versions after so many. Any suggestions for software that would work with Amazon EC2 or E3 or other cloud services? I don't have much experience in this.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
JohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JohnWJ's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but I do not know but there is a website called TWIT ( this week in tech ) they will help you

http://towncommons.twit.tv/index.php
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I run a back up to a Synology DS1512+ with caviar drives in it at work. Has worked well and has a great UI with a bunch of capabilities, like usb 3.0 among other software things. Check it out if a NAS can work for you. I back it up to a small external HDD I take home with me every night.

~M
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
J11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant future

J11Tac's Tacoma Gallery
I remember Buffalo being good at one point, then kinda dropping off. They make a nice 12TB NAS for $1800. I'm wondering I should try that. I'd rather a local backup.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
^ yea I really like having my backup for our office local. Yea buffalo was and probably still is good. The Synology has been bulletproof so far, I have spent 6 months with it on 24/7 backing up every day and hosting all our office files for everyone to have access to on our local network. It has the ability to run multiple types of raid and tether to a secondary bay of drives for TONS of space... Solid construction as well. Plus it's pretty inexpensive.

Anyways best of luck with your decision OP! let us/me know what you end up with.

~M
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J11Tac View Post
My company needs to start retaining all backed up data. We were using Carbonite, but I don't like the way they are set up for administrator access to data. Basically, HR is requesting that even overwritten files are kept backed up. Like I said, I've been using Carbonite for 2 years now, but they delete previous versions after so many. Any suggestions for software that would work with Amazon EC2 or E3 or other cloud services? I don't have much experience in this.

Thanks
Disaster recovery is one of my specialties. What kind of data retention do you have and what kind of budget do you have to play with ?