Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

New Desktop...No wireless capability...now what?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Question New Desktop...No wireless capability...now what?

I stink at todays tech stuff but here's my question.....all the PC's / laptops in the house are Wi-Fi capable except the new desktop I hooked up for my son tonight. So what do I need to get this thing running on the web? Some kind of router from the cable service provider?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Certified Mall Crawling Instructor
SwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Name: Steven
SwanksTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you have WIFI, i believe that means you must have a router, am i correct?
If you do, you just need to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the back of the desktop and you should be good to go!

Hope this helps with the little bit of info i know!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
USB WiFi adapter.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
If you already have a WIFI internet in the house, all you need for the desktop is a wifi adapter. This is what our lab uses for our portable desktops and it has worked pretty well:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN8...b+wifi+adapter

Another option is getting a wireless card for the desktop, but I think the usb wifi adapter is best for you b/c its easy to use and you can use it on other computers if you need to
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanksTaco View Post
If you have WIFI, i believe that means you must have a router, am i correct?
If you do, you just need to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the back of the desktop and you should be good to go!

Hope this helps with the little bit of info i know!

Problem is, the router is 2 stories away from this PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
USB WiFi adapter.
I guess this is sold at Best Buy or Walmart Rich?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I guess this is sold at Best Buy or Walmart Rich?
I'd go with Best Buy, ya...
Belkin is decent. I've had issues with Linksys routers, though I haven't used their WiFi adapters in about 5 years.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Problem is, the router is 2 stories away from this PC.
I highly recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-...dp/B000QYGNKQ/

This thing has crazy range, blows my other ones away.
They have wireless-N ones too. But this one is $19.99.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
I highly recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-...dp/B000QYGNKQ/

This thing has crazy range, blows my other ones away.
They have wireless-N ones too. But this one is $19.99.
Thumbs up for the Alfa
I have one where I couldn't get a signal from our router before, now I have 5 bars and even pick up the neighbors.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the all the info guys!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Warputer.. given your range you said (2 floors)... you are going to want something with a external antenna, not the built-in ones like the usb-stick type. The Alfa would be the best choice in my opinion.. comes with a usb cable.. and you can extend it to place it up where you get the best reception. Its antenna is detachable too.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...if the new computer is going to be located on a desk near the router (many routers have several ethernet ports to support both "wired" and wireless), you could probably just hook it up to the router with ethernet cable....
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...if the new computer is going to be located on a desk near the router (many routers have several ethernet ports to support both "wired" and wireless), you could probably just hook it up to the router with ethernet cable....
Already covered... it's 2 floors away.

Products Discussed in this Thread