Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Gorilla Glass: To Use or Not Use a Screen Protector

View Poll Results: Still Use a Screen Protector with Your Gorilla Glass?
No. It takes a lot to scratch the glass so why bother. 10 32.26%
Yes, I still do just in case. 13 41.94%
Yes, I do because I heard it can still get damaged. 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Gorilla Glass: To Use or Not Use a Screen Protector

Do you still cover your Gorilla Glass with a screen protector?

LIst of phones and tablets with Gorilla Glass
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
k.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kirk
k.strong's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a screen protector on my note after I got some small scratches.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I leave it naked lol, the only scratches I have are very very small
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dba JustLikeGlass screen protector on my phone and iPad. It actually makes the screen smoother than not using anything, plus it supposedly gives the screen more impact protection.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Use one, it still scratches.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
I had one but dirt got under the side of it so I pealed it off and never put another one on. It seems my screen is more responsive without the protector or maybe its just me.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
The first thing I do to my phones after getting them. Gorilla Glass still isn't a match for a grain of sand, and I live in Florida.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Always nice to have one, I've worked in the cell phone industry for 5 years now and see so many phones come in with broken gorilla glass or deep scratches. Just get the cheap plastic clear ones they do just fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePoulson View Post
The first thing I do to my phones after getting them. Gorilla Glass still isn't a match for a grain of sand, and I live in Florida.
This.

It's the dust in your pocket that causes scratches. My Galaxy 3 with gorilla glass 2 has a few scratches. Luckily, they disappeared after putting on a screen protector. I swear by SGP Ultra Clear protector's.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't used a screen protector since my last pressure sensitive touch screen. I think screen protectors make the phone look like crap in no time as they usually are easy to scratch and scuff. I dropped my Droid Incredible face down on pavement from about 4 feet and the glass was totally fine. I've had my Rezound for a year and it has a faint hairline scratch.

Here's a decent video on Gorilla Glass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgKLwGnOZs?hl=en_US
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a razr maxx, with my hobbies and profession, my phone needs any additional protection it can get. It's had screen guards since day one and I put a fresh one on about once a month
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
I've dropped my GS3 many times since i got it. Had a protector on it for for a long time. A couple of days ago slid my hand into my jacket pocket and pushed it out of the case on my belt and it fell perfectly on its face and made a few very small cracks in the bottom right of the screen and it killed the display as well. I do believe if i had the screen protector on, it would have been OK. Cheaper to pay for a screen protector than pay a $100 deductible.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
hmm never heard of this product before. do they make one for iPad Minis?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Invisible shield on my past two phones and they are amazing, I had the full body protectors on both phones and I didn't have any problems with either.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
They make screen protectors for anything and everything.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
I like the zagg invisible shield hd.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Evo for 2-1/2 years, no protection at all. Screen has a some fine scratches, but nothing that is noticeable or distracting. Now the front camera lens...shesa notsogood. I don't baby the phone, but I understand its not indesructable also. My friends phones get jacked up because they put them in cases that don't fit in their pocket. Phones take a lot of abuse hanging on a belt clip IMO.

Edit: Buy the insurance and live life.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I just got an Otterbox defender for my Note II, and I carefully removed the screen protector piece.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePoulson View Post
They make screen protectors for anything and everything.
What the OP is asking about (Gorilla Glass) is used when the devise is manufactured, not a add on protector. Ive had good results from the first two versions with no protector at all, the third gen stuff is even way better. I use no case either, YMMV.