Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Illegal to unlock your phone

Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Illegal to unlock your phone

It's now illegal to unlock your phone to use one a different carrier's network unless you have the carrier's permission:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/now...ry?id=18319518

Here's a petition. It's already got over 17,000 signatures.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...legal/1g9KhZG7
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully someone finds a way to litigate under anti-trust laws etc etc...

What a load of shit. It's beyond me anyway but more power to those who'd do it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Im sure that this wont last long. On the plus side you can still buy an unlocked phone outright and take it to any carrier. I think its stupid that you are paying for the phone (through a carrier) and cant do what you want with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
Im sure that this wont last long. On the plus side you can still buy an unlocked phone outright and take it to any carrier. I think its stupid that you are paying for the phone (through a carrier) and cant do what you want with it.
The difference is you are getting the device at a discount price through a carrier versus buying it direct
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The difference is you are getting the device at a discount price through a carrier versus buying it direct
But we're also locked into that carrier for 1-2 years depending on the carrier. They're getting their money, just not upfront.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
I know the difference, but you are still paying for the device... The carrier doesn't own it, you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
But we're also locked into that carrier for 1-2 years depending on the carrier. They're getting their money, just not upfront.
Agreed
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
So what if you sell your phone and someone else unlocks it?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's 3 years standard up here
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
"Land of the free" my ass...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
We're already getting raped by cell phone carriers, what's one more thing lol. Although, I agree this is stupid.

FWIW, they're really not going refuse to unlock it for you. My neighbor just had AT&T unlock one of their phones. Especially if you're doing it to switch to another carrier earlier since they'd still be getting a contract termination fee out of you. I'm strongly considering just getting a Virgin Mobile 4G phone for 35 bucks a month once my Verizon Wireless contract is up. Getting old paying 110 a month for my one phone for 2-3gb of data I use, only a handful of phone calls, and less than 1500 texts.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
It's 3 years standard up here
If your phone isn't subsidized, why is there a contract?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Some carriers like T-Mobile are getting away from subsidized phones altogether. They will only sell them at full price. The trade-off is they're going to offer lower prices. The other carriers are waiting to see how it goes.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what you mean , my phone is subsidized

I paid $249 for an Iphone 5
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You buy the phone, and you pay for the service plan monthly, why can't I take whats mine and fuck with it however I want to?

That's like saying, here buy this computer with Internet Explorer, you can do anything you want with it, except you can't delete IE and put a different web browser on there.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If you are in an open contract, as I am, I can buy a new phone for the msrp with out getting a new contract.

Not sure how this works form someone being a new customer to the carrier though. Maybe you pay the msrp and you have an open contract from the start.

But the law does not apply to these phones.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Internet Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
You buy the phone, and you pay for the service plan monthly, why can't I take whats mine and fuck with it however I want to?

That's like saying, here buy this computer with Internet Explorer, you can do anything you want with it, except you can't delete IE and put a different web browser on there.
don't give them ideas
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
don't give them ideas
Apple already got the hint and made it illegal to make a Hackintosh.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are in an open contract, as I am, I can buy a new phone for the msrp with out getting a new contract.

Not sure how this works form someone being a new customer to the carrier though. Maybe you pay the msrp and you have an open contract from the start.

Yea I believe you have the option to pay MSRP right off the bat and never be in a contract.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Not sure what you mean , my phone is subsidized

I paid $249 for an Iphone 5
I guess I was confused by your comment. You made the rebuttal point that we get them at a discount price therefore it's okay for them to limit your ability to unlock it. But after the contract period, the cost of the phone has been redeemed and we're not under contract. After that contract period there is no termination fee (which is based on the value of the phone). The phone is ours but we can't modify it to use it on another carrier.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:

As a new customer, on AT&T, you have to buy a phone, even if you plan on bringing your own. T-Mobile is moving away from subsidized phones so I'm not sure how it will work on theirs.