1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home CCTV Monitoring Help...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Richard Cranium, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium [OP] The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    My co-worker and his boys are raising some bucket bucket calves and heifers. They had the heifers AI'd and they're due sometime in the end of March. He's wanting to set up some sort of webcam monitoring so he had keep an eye on the pens from work.

Cams would be set up in the outbuilding with the pens, approx 75yrds from their house. They're not super tech savvy but have some computers capable of streaming the feeds I think.

Anybody have any experience setting up a home surveillance cam system? Thinking a wired camera would work best, but I don't know enough about the cameras or streaming software to decide which route to pursue.

Doesn't have to have a DVR, but if it can be done for $200-300 then so be it.

2. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I have the older model of this...

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Chann...igh-Resolution-Cameras.product.100028117.html

I love it. Android/Iphone app so you can monitor from your phone or you can log in through IE and monitor that way. You can set up email alerts on motion and everything. Its capable of sound and PTZ if you chose.

I love it. Super easy to set up. 60 days DVR recording.

There are BNC to CAT 5 adaptors that will also let you run a camera upwards of 300 ft or so with little distortion. I've ran one 500 ft, but you start to lose voltage over cat5 that far and the pic is pretty fuzzy. But higher gauge cable would fix the power issue.

I highly recommend it.

EDIT:

Plus if you buy from costco you get 3yr warranty.

3. Feb 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Second that ^^^^^ Set one up at my folks house, and it works great. We got it from Harbor Frieght.

4. Feb 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium [OP] The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    Tell me if I'm understanding this right...the DVR could be plugged in and stored in some sort of container or cabinet in the shed to protect it from elements with the cameras plugged in within their given cord range, then the CAT5 could be run to the house and connected to the network for remote web monitoring?

5. Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I believe so. We have the reciever in the kitchen, with a small monitor. The cables arent very long though. IIRC, they are about 50'.

6. Feb 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    I have a DVR and 16 cameras at my home, no wireless, it's all wired using RG6 siamese cable for video and power, Siamese cable houses the power wires with the video signal wire all in one cable, comes 500 or 1000 foot rolls, I use compression connectors not twist on.

Cat 5 wire for my system is only used for any camera that has pan tilt zoom or PTZ capability. Also cat 5 for my DVR as its connected to my home network.

I use an app called supercam pro for android and iPhone and iPad, I can check my cameras and take pics of anything from anywhere in the world as long as I have a good wi if connection.

If night time or infra red is what your after, then buy good cameras, I'm using Sony cameras, they run 200 each but are amazing at night. My DVR is holding 2 terabytes of recording space.

I also took the video source and split it so that I don't have a monitor, I use any of our 6 HDTVs to monitor the video. When watching TV I can switch the input on the remote to video and there is my video, live. Switch input back to cable and I'm watch TV again, seamless.

Products Discussed in

To Top