Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

CAD?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
CAD?

i've never used CAD (unless 3d homebuilder counts),and i'm looking for a program that i can build anything from a dune buggy to a LT truck.
i would like it to be as cheap as possible, and it needs to work on a MBP.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
google sketchup works pretty well for being free. but a mac wont run solidworks or catia, being 16 you can use a windows computer and contact solidworks and get a student edition for 150 bucks a year.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
google sketchup works pretty well for being free. but a mac wont run solidworks or catia, being 16 you can use a windows computer and contact solidworks and get a student edition for 150 bucks a year.
i'll have to checkout sketch up, that's sorta expensive for not needing it for school.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if you plan on doing it seriously i would recommend paying the money, solidworks is my new love for pass time, it's so simple to operate you could learn it very quickly.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
sketchup works decent, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #6

No problem man enjoy! It's addicting
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
do you happen to know how to get a full 3d tube/pipe? i sorta skipped through the tutorial
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks nick, hopefully i should have a design that looks sorta like this.
also gonna check out autodesk inventor fusion
Attached Thumbnails
CAD?-picture024me.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I went to school for CAD, namely AutoCAD and Revit Architecture, but also dabbled in Inventer a little as well. I like all 3 for what they do.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
heres my progress
side cut-out, and top view.
Attached Thumbnails
CAD?-screen-shot-2013-02-11-11.10.42-pm.png   CAD?-screen-shot-2013-02-11-11.16.08-pm.png  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I went to school for CAD, namely AutoCAD and Revit Architecture, but also dabbled in Inventer a little as well. I like all 3 for what they do.
cool, i think it'd be fun to design stuff on the computer.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I use sketch-up works great

Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
I use sketch-up works great

that's cool
how do you get the holes? add a circle to where you want the hole then delete the center?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I wanted to go to school for cad but I'm worried about getting a job after.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
that's cool
how do you get the holes? add a circle to where you want the hole then delete the center?
Pretty much and a combo of the push pull tool
Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
Pretty much and a combo of the push pull tool
ahhhh, it works, .26 dia hole with a 1.5 dia tube.
Attached Thumbnails
CAD?-screen-shot-2013-02-11-11.36.05-pm.png  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I wanted to go to school for cad but I'm worried about getting a job after.
Been out 4.5 months so far, only had 1 interview. Traveled 200+ miles each way for the interview, was offered job on spot, turned it down cause of such low pay I don't worry too much. My grandma always says "anytime something doesn't work out, something better will happen" I use that to push myself along with a lot of things. Plus I have a friend who went to college right after HS and got an accounting degree and has been out of school almost a year and still doesn't have a job.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
I am just about 2 years out of school (mech engineering technology) and at first I was a bit worried about finding a job but ended up landing the second job I went for an interview at. Have been using inventor and auto cad and now we are switching to solid works. I haven't used google sketch up but I have seen some pretty impressive stuff modeled with it. Not sure what you do about making drawings from it though?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Wish I would went to school for this I picked it up so quickly. I probably wouldn't as willing to get my hands dirty though