Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Tv problem!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Tv problem!

So I was watching some hockey this afternoon, went for a run with the dog, came back and the tv wouldnt turn on. I get a flashing red light on the power indicator. The tv is a Panasonic 42" plasma about 8 yrs old. I read to in plug the power cable and try again. No luck. Any idea if the tv is toaster salvageable?

If not ill getaway tv at samsclub, I just don't really want to.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
8 yrs is pretty old for a plasma. Get a new LED.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah my dad gave me the tv and was in town last week. No shit he went on and on about how good that tv was. A repair would be about $200 1/3 the cost of a new one.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Then it can break again in 6 months. I don't think tv's are worth fixing. LED will last much longer and way better picture.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Don't you mean LCD ?
Not at all. I mean LED. Do they now have those up in BC yet?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Not at all. I mean LED. Do they now have those up in BC yet?
I thought the LED units were limited to smaller sizes but I haven't shopped for a tv in 3 years
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
No I have a 55" LED and wouldn't trade it for any other TV that I've seen
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I thought the LED units were limited to smaller sizes but I haven't shopped for a tv in 3 years

Just messing with ya. They have them all the way up to 70" or something crazy.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Also plasmas don't last to long in CO due to our altitude.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The display itself is still an LCD. The difference is the backlighting.
Traditional LCD screens are backlighted with a CCFL.
LED screens are backlighted with LED. Much truer whites and blacker blacks... but seriously, nothing beats the contrast and picture of Plasma.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
When I researched my tv purchase I also read that plasma is better for fast moving images like sports due to the native 600hz screen rate
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Still not fast enough for hockey... but it does a decent job at Rugby.

Personally, I'm still flying a 53" 4:3 rear-projection (DLP) Sony that my boss gave me 10 years ago when he upgraded to plasma.
Works like a champ... I'm really surprised it hasn't taken a shit, considering it's on any time my wife is not in bed.
I've had it for 10 years, he probably had it for at least 5.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #15

Speaking of Rugby... trying to figure it out.

Are there any rules?
Someone gets tackled, and everyone tries to wrestle the ball away.
The ball hits the ground, someone picks it up and runs with it.

It appears to me that the ball is dead when forward motion stops (except for when it is passed it has to go lateral of backwards).
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Still not fast enough for hockey... but it does a decent job at Rugby.

Personally, I'm still flying a 56" 4:3 rear-projection (DLP) Sony that my boss gave me 10 years ago when he upgraded to plasma.
Works like a champ... I'm really surprised it hasn't taken a shit, considering it's on any time my wife is not in bed.
I've had it for 10 years, he probably had it for at least 5.
Yeah , hockey is hard to replicated smoothly , I think the stark contrast between the white ice and the players really highlights any ghosting or blur
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I get a flashing red light on the power indicator.

Usually this means bad power supply. It's fixable but at the cost you could put toward a new tv.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
I had a startup problem with an older Samsung LCD and it was caused by faulty capacitors on the power supply. I was gonna try to fix it myself, but I called Samsung and even though the TV was well out of warranty they sent a tech out to fix it.

Article describing the problem.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/2...at-screen-tvs/

Could be an easy fix if you know how to solder.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #19

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again for the replies. Im gonna call Panasonic and some repair shops today and try to see what the damage will be.

As far as the altitude issue goes, I read that the newer plasmas are fine in CO and im at 5k'' so not too high. Im not too familar with the LED tv's but how are they with motion blur in sports? I watch hockey the most and Ive seen older LCD tv's that were pretty blurry, they could have been 720p though.

Best Buy has a 51" plasma 1080P 600hz for $600 I think this weekend. I might be actually using the truck for a purpose other than dog transporter today.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
It's the break in period with the plasmas at altitude. Most people who have them then move to Colorado end up buying a new tv. Just the way it goes, I would say go with an LED that's what I will be replacing my TVs with. I would go plasma if I did not live in Denver.