Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

SOOO MANY 1xAAA FLASHLIGHTS.......ugh

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
SOOO MANY 1xAAA FLASHLIGHTS.......ugh

So I'm looking to replace my 2 lumen Maglite solitaire and originally I was just going to buy the new LED version but I did a little searching around on the web and I found that there are TONS of 1xAAA edc light available and almost all of them are better then the mag. Any opinions on what you have for your everyday carry light????? Right now I'm looking at the Tank007 E09. I'm not going to be running the light on a 10440 Li-ion battery so that is not needed to be factored in. I pretty much want a really really bright light that has the option to run on a lesser power mode to conserve battery if needed. Oh and I will also be carrying it next to my leatherman wave in the nylon belt sheath, so anything keychain related is not a factor. Any help out there????

Not using one of these

Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
I EDC an Arc AAA (http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml) and it's served me well, only has one output level though.

I've also used some Inovas which are built well, and have a high and low option. I can't remember if mine is a AA or AAA model. (http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-XS.asp)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan toy View Post
I EDC an Arc AAA (http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml) and it's served me well, only has one output level though.

I've also used some Inovas which are built well, and have a high and low option. I can't remember if mine is a AA or AAA model. (http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-XS.asp)
I like that the Arc is regulated that's definitely a MUST, the tail clicker on the Inovas is cool too!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, I may have to get one of these now...http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-ld01.html

The lanyard configuration allows it to stand up on it's end like a candle, 72 Lumen output from a AAA, three power levels...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I have the earlier version of this
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Fenix LD01 mang

trust me ...very bright 3 levels on 1xAAA

and should you find a 10440 lying around, the LD01 will have no problems with it,
it will be a whole lot brighter (and hotter)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
STRIKER TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
Fenix LD01 mang

and should you find a 10440 lying around, the LD01 will have no problems with it,
Whats the deal with this light, I've been reading a lot and it keeps coming up as the best but it doesn't have the brightest lumens rating, whats with that? And when you say no problem handling the 10440, is that with out modification? And hotter to the point that you cant us it or it burns your hand!?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryanreynolds View Post
Whats the deal with this light, I've been reading a lot and it keeps coming up as the best but it doesn't have the brightest lumens rating, whats with that? And when you say no problem handling the 10440, is that with out modification? And hotter to the point that you cant us it or it burns your hand!?

with a 10440 it'll get hot enough to tell you not to grab the bright end,
but also crazy bright. there won't be much need to keep it on max anyway...
ya see, it doesn't have huge heatsinking...so it'll warm up on a 10440, but
no one I know of is cabable of killing an LD01 by leaving it on high...you can
still hold the light OK...but for reals....after 5 minutes put it on medium....

why Fenix recommended ? pretty bombproof...it if futzes up all you need
to do is Q-tip the contacts a bit. all twisties eventually need the contact
rings cleaned a tad. Fenix is available in a lot of locations. they have
serial number lookup so you can know what bin your LED is

I have 3 of these and they all work great. It is just one of a few excellent AAA lights
and being 3 level, and able to handle a 4.2 volt with no mods
(really, just insert the 10440 and no fireworks) makes it the 'standard
reply' to what is a good AAA EDC

I like it because:

a) on is mid level, twist is low, twist is high, twist back to med, repeat.
simple.

b) easy to turn on with one hand (threads and o ring and the knurling are perfect for this)

c) takes a 10440 IMR for pupil popping lumens

d) standard AAA still runs this plenty bright

e) small like all AAA twisties

if you don't want Fenix the next best thing is a DQG III
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1053
specify magnetic tail (optional) or glow in the dark (default)
seriously...I got one of these DQG's and immediately ordered 2 more for gifts

FenixLD01 on high with Duracell Alkaline

FenixLD01 on high with IMR 10440 at 4.07 volts

Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
cmoulton13 is on a distinguished road

Army: Armor Officer
cmoulton13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fenix LD01 mang

That is a big nono where I am from... producing those kind of light levels will end up getting you 25-life. Do you have any idea what something with that kind of power could do to someone's pupils?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulton13 View Post
That is a big nono where I am from... producing those kind of light levels will end up getting you 25-life. Do you have any idea what something with that kind of power could do to someone's pupils?
1000 miles
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
cmoulton13 is on a distinguished road

Army: Armor Officer
cmoulton13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1000 miles
challenge accepted
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this thread so sorry for the revive. I just got my LED Solitaire in the mail today and I am pretty impressed. I guess anything is impressive over my old 2 lumen solitaire though. I am just partial to Maglite and their commitment of being a USA based company, I just love how all there stuff is made here.

It throws light pretty far (you can light up tree tops but its not super bright or anything) and has 37 lumens. Having EDC the old solitaire in my pocket for a little less than a year I know what to expect. Sadly the lens is plastic so it is gonna get scratched up by my keys like the old one, and the body also gets nicked up. For $15 bucks though (plus shipping), its a solid little light. I know that all those other ones are more powerful and probably cooler, even have a glass lens, but I like this little thing. I do want one of those but I bought this one cause well, its a mag.