Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Getting a new Macbook for college

Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
Blame Crablegs
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
Hey there OP-
First off, congrats on getting in and perusing a degree in Forestry. I'm a senior now about to graduate from UCD in Environmental Science and Management and Natural Resource Conservation. Here is my suggestion:
Go with the Pro. More space will be useful, and so will the CD drive. I imagine at some point you will probably be working with GIS and other modeling and data programs, and you'll likely want a computer that can handle putting windows on it too, while still truly being a Mac (that's what I did). I know a few people in my classes that have Airs. And while they are nice because of the weight, they find themselves still needing a little bit more. I take my computer to every single one of my classes to take notes and the weight really isn't a problem.
A few suggestions though as it seems from your posts you'll be using it in class like me:
get one of the plastic case things for it that kinda clip on... If that makes sense. That will save your computer from constantly placing it on desks and moving it around, especially on surfaces where other students seem to make a mess on with crumbs, tea, and other random shit.
Get a soft shell case (like Incase) for it as well for putting it in your backpack. That will protect if from the small bangs and when you are taking your bag on and off.
Get an external hard drive, no matter what computer you decided to get! I have seen computers die on campus, fall on the ground, etc. Even heard of one guy who got in a bike accident, the computer fell out of his backpack which was not in a case, it went rolling down the pavement and landed in a puddle. So it would suck balls to loose your crap like that. I back mine up every month or so but I really should do it more often. I do constantly back it up though when I'm writing 20 page research papers and stuff though.
regardless, get what you think will be best. I got my computer as a graduation present from high school to use in college, and I will get another in the spring when I graduate, kinda "This is the last shit we are paying for so make it count" deal from my parents.
I will be getting a 15" Pro with the 2.7GHz Processor (for map making and picture manipulation) 8 GB of memory for fastness, and the 750GB at 7200rpm hard drive for additional speed. In my eyes there's not much point to the retina display on such a large screen so I won't be getting that. I will however get the antiglare screen.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions! Good luck to you in College!
This is pretty helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
oh and don't forget, get the extended warranty, and make sure to use the education store so you get the student discount when ordering! And, often towards summer they do there college deals and throw in an ipod touch or something when you get a computer... might want to hold out for that if you want.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Mufassa is a name known to allMufassa is a name known to allMufassa is a name known to allMufassa is a name known to allMufassa is a name known to allMufassa is a name known to all
Name: Christian
Mufassa's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the pro and here is the best advice I can give....4 Gig of ram is great to buy through apple but you can buy 16 gigs of memory from crucial.com for 100.00. The higher ram is the best mod you can make to the pro....
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
As the title says, I am getting a Macbook for college. I start at MSU in August and I need help deciding between a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air. I prefer the Air due to its size and weight but have heard in the past to go for the Pro. I won't be doing anything too fancy with the computer, just basic Microsoft office functions, internet use, etc. Any suggestions or advice?
Heck yeah. looking forward to seeing you at State!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
Blame Crablegs
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
oh and don't forget, get the extended warranty, and make sure to use the education store so you get the student discount when ordering! And, often towards summer they do there college deals and throw in an ipod touch or something when you get a computer... might want to hold out for that if you want.
Will do, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufassa View Post
Go with the pro and here is the best advice I can give....4 Gig of ram is great to buy through apple but you can buy 16 gigs of memory from crucial.com for 100.00. The higher ram is the best mod you can make to the pro....
Thanks! Nice first post!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #26
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
Heck yeah. looking forward to seeing you at State!
Thanks! I'm ready to be there.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I love my macbook pro, but the new ones dont have CD drives if that is a deal breaker, if you need windows for any of your classes, you can set up dual boot or something similar and run either one.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
I Got a MAcbook pro when i went out for college, loved it, some asshole soaked it in mike's hard. I had the extended warranty so i got a new one! Get the Warranty!
Planned on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I love my macbook pro, but the new ones dont have CD drives if that is a deal breaker, if you need windows for any of your classes, you can set up dual boot or something similar and run either one.
I'll figure something out. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
If you need a CD, just get an external. Bring it out when you need to install stuff, then shove it back in the closet. I use mine maybe once a year tops.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
If you need a CD, just get an external. Bring it out when you need to install stuff, then shove it back in the closet. I use mine maybe once a year tops.
My dad said the same thing. Thanks for the advice.

I've been doing more research. My dad brought a HP Elitebook home from work the other day with Ubuntu on it. Not fond of the idea of having to learn how to program a computer and work with software more than I currently know how just to install something. I'm sure I could learn, I just don't want to. As of right now, I am trying to decide between a Windows 7 Elitebook and a Macbook Pro. Depends on where I can get the better deal when it comes time to buy.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #32
Blame Crablegs

Well, I'm typing this update from my new 13 inch MacBook Pro. Thanks to everyone in here for their advice and help. to y'all.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
If you MacBookPro just for Microsoft Office,Internet, and so on, Why not iPad4?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
If you MacBookPro just for Microsoft Office,Internet, and so on, Why not iPad4?
First thing would be preference of having an actual laptop. Second would be that I did some research and I will need to use it for GIS software and GPS software.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i x1000000 the pro. i have a 13” and love it. does everything i need and more. very very rarely does it give me fits. i get more fits and problems from the internet it self not working. also i have dropped it a few times off the bed,and off my lap in the bathroom no problems have come up!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #36
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
i x1000000 the pro. i have a 13” and love it. does everything i need and more. very very rarely does it give me fits. i get more fits and problems from the internet it self not working. also i have dropped it a few times off the bed,and off my lap in the bathroom no problems have come up!
Why did you take your computer to the bathroom?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
Hakuna Matata, bitches!
EVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura aboutEVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trent
EVErsionDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i wouldn't ask if i were you.
congrats on the macbook, i have a 15'' and i love it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
Blame Crablegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i wouldn't ask if i were you.
congrats on the macbook, i have a 15'' and i love it.
This guy beat you to it and thanks VVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVErsionDesigns View Post
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I take it and get on here (or FB, or you tube, or other forum) instead of a magazine or news paper. lol. some times you can push it, you got to sit down and relax and just let it come out and some times that takes some time.