Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Getting a new Macbook for college

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
Senior Member
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
Joined: Oct 2012, #88264
Location: WAY north Idaho
Gender: Male
Posts: 100
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
some context.....

I have had three apple laptops.... two of these are still in use....

the pro of the airs is thats it light.... but you will find that you realllllllly want that cd drive however you can get a rather cheap usb plug in for the air from appple....

also the nice thing about it is that you can add on as you please....

the nice part about the pro is all of the bells and whistles.... of course as you go on i would bet by the time your fours years in college is almsot up most things will be in the cloud anyways.....

currently have the pro.... just played around for the last two weeks on the air, still using my old school black backbook......

whatever you do.....
DO NOT get an HP
or a dell..... you would be lucky to make it through your four years with out having to replace it.... mine is going on seven years old still running.....

either way.... the apple protection plan is a MUST
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #42
Senior Member
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Khaos's Avatar
Name: Bryant
Joined: Feb 2008, #4570
Location: Tallahassee FL
Age: 23
Gender: Guy
Posts: 6,515
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Vaio > Apple


I was just browsing the Apple site, even with a college discount, a refurbished Pro is still stupid expensive and not that impressive stats for $1,500. I've had two Sony Vaio's that both run perfect, ones going on 7 years old and the other 3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #43
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
PreRunner03's Avatar
Name: Ethan
Joined: Apr 2011, #54916
Location: Sugar Land, Tx/Starkvegas, Ms
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,014
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthiker View Post
some context.....

I have had three apple laptops.... two of these are still in use....

the pro of the airs is thats it light.... but you will find that you realllllllly want that cd drive however you can get a rather cheap usb plug in for the air from appple....

also the nice thing about it is that you can add on as you please....

the nice part about the pro is all of the bells and whistles.... of course as you go on i would bet by the time your fours years in college is almsot up most things will be in the cloud anyways.....

currently have the pro.... just played around for the last two weeks on the air, still using my old school black backbook......

whatever you do.....
DO NOT get an HP
or a dell..... you would be lucky to make it through your four years with out having to replace it.... mine is going on seven years old still running.....

either way.... the apple protection plan is a MUST
Thanks for the advice. Actually picked up my Pro earlier this evening and have been trying to get used to everything. I made sure to get the extended warranty.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #44
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
PreRunner03's Avatar
Name: Ethan
Joined: Apr 2011, #54916
Location: Sugar Land, Tx/Starkvegas, Ms
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,014
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Vaio > Apple


I was just browsing the Apple site, even with a college discount, a refurbished Pro is still stupid expensive and not that impressive stats for $1,500. I've had two Sony Vaio's that both run perfect, ones going on 7 years old and the other 3.
I'm not a fan of the way Windows 7 is being phased out or of Windows 8. The Pro fits my needs and I've got a close friend and mentor who can help me get used to anything Apple. I like the layout of the iOS and the way everything runs quickly and cleanly. Thanks for your opinion and experience though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #45
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TnRedNeck721's Avatar
Name: Zach
Joined: Mar 2011, #52731
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,410
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
also something els. my brother was in law school, and they made everyone had anti virus. they where very sticked about it, so much that they set it up, and checked every PC every so often to make sure it still had it. they never did touch any MACís or even look at them like they did the PC.

my brother still has his 15Ē macbook pro, and loves it, itís the older version thats kinda thick.

neither me or him are running any anti virus software.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #46
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Chickenmunga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Apr 2008, #5877
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,765
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
also something els. my brother was in law school, and they made everyone had anti virus. they where very sticked about it, so much that they set it up, and checked every PC every so often to make sure it still had it. they never did touch any MACís or even look at them like they did the PC.

my brother still has his 15Ē macbook pro, and loves it, itís the older version thats kinda thick.

neither me or him are running any anti virus software.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...6/mac_viruses/
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ecurity-risks/
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying A New Macbook HELP! th3bigk0 Off-Topic Discussion 11 08-10-2011 10:57 AM
Joining the Military? Want to goto College? Already in college? solus Military 36 09-23-2010 08:57 PM
Selling my MacBook!! Rakso Buy / Sell / Trade - Other 52 06-11-2010 01:11 PM
got a macbook pro Gr8WhiteTaco Technology 25 07-29-2009 08:45 AM
got a macbook pro... help THXEY Technology 16 07-22-2009 06:25 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.