Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Getting a new Macbook for college

Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a new Macbook for college

As the title says, I am getting a Macbook for college. I start at MSU in August and I need help deciding between a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air. I prefer the Air due to its size and weight but have heard in the past to go for the Pro. I won't be doing anything too fancy with the computer, just basic Microsoft office functions, internet use, etc. Any suggestions or advice?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Lenovo for half the money and do a couple mods with the rest.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
CDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
CDSurfPhotography's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone on college campuses seem to have Pro's
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
If you are a business major most of your ISDS classes won't let you use Mac's so you have to spend time in the computer lab
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Google chrome book
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Pro. Don't Air's not have cd slots or USB ports or something? Plus I'd be surprised if you didn't have to use your laptop a ton in college... You'll want the real deal.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Pro. Don't Air's not have cd slots or USB ports or something? Plus I'd be surprised if you didn't have to use your laptop a ton in college... You'll want the real deal.
They should have USB ports just no optical drive.

I wouldn't get a Mac at all but if you're married to that idea I'd probably get the Pro if its going to be your primary computer.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Fools Gold
MKEMICA has a spectacular aura aboutMKEMICA has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jim
MKEMICA's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Macbook Pro, the issue with an air is that everything is soldered in. You are unable to upgrade with time. I bought my Macbook when going to college four years ago, I have upgraded the ram, and hard drive already twice still running like a champ. Something you couldn't do with an Air.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm going to be a forestry major, so computer usage will mostly be for notes and data comparison/collection. I've become keen on apple as of late because of my iPhone and I want to avoid Windows 8. Last I heard, the newer model pf the Pro was not easily modified.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Conservative
Executive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Executive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEMICA View Post
Go with the Macbook Pro, the issue with an air is that everything is soldered in. You are unable to upgrade with time. I bought my Macbook when going to college four years ago, I have upgraded the ram, and hard drive already twice still running like a champ. Something you couldn't do with an Air.
This.

Buy the MacBook Pro, non-retina model. Get the low end, $1199 version. ($1099 with your student discount) You will be able to upgrade the RAM later on when it starts to seem sluggish. You will also be able to upgrade the included 500GB hard drive to a SSD drive (by then the prices will have come down a lot) these two things will greatly extend the life of your machine. You can also buy Parallels, a very well executed program that allows you to install Windows running inside your Mac OS (or Chrome, Ubuntu, or pretty much anything else). I'd go this route and install Windows 7 so you can stay away from the ridiculous Windows 8.

Good luck in school!

Chris
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, stay away from Windows 8. I just paid a pretty penny for a Lenovo X1 and Windows 8 totally kills it for me. Gonna "downgrade" to Windows 7 whenever I get the chance
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^There are various ways to get the classic interface back:

e.g. http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive View Post
This.

Buy the MacBook Pro, non-retina model. Get the low end, $1199 version. ($1099 with your student discount) You will be able to upgrade the RAM later on when it starts to seem sluggish. You will also be able to upgrade the included 500GB hard drive to a SSD drive (by then the prices will have come down a lot) these two things will greatly extend the life of your machine. You can also buy Parallels, a very well executed program that allows you to install Windows running inside your Mac OS (or Chrome, Ubuntu, or pretty much anything else). I'd go this route and install Windows 7 so you can stay away from the ridiculous Windows 8.

Good luck in school!

Chris
Did a little research into this and none of that seems too difficult. I'll look into this more when I get closer to buying. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
If you are a business major most of your ISDS classes won't let you use Mac's so you have to spend time in the computer lab
huh?

whats a ISDS?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^There are various ways to get the classic interface back:

e.g. http://www.classicshell.net/
Holy shit. Thank you for this!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
The air is not much smaller than the pro, and the pro is cheaper and has more options. Thats why i went with the pro.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
i have a macbook pro. solid computer. i run it 24/7 and rarely does it give me fits.

as far as getting a pc because the school software and programs you use arent mac friendly, look to see if your school gives students access to it from home. i can access all the many windows only, engineering programs i need to from home through a very neat system our school has put together. although the windows interface on my Mac OS is werid at first, it seams to be a fairly seamless operation.
As a forestry major, I'm not going to rely too heavily on certain software or programs outside of notes, papers, or research. There might be certain programs or software (softwares?) for mapping and GPS applications, but I am not sure of what these might be.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there OP-
First off, congrats on getting in and perusing a degree in Forestry. I'm a senior now about to graduate from UCD in Environmental Science and Management and Natural Resource Conservation. Here is my suggestion:
Go with the Pro. More space will be useful, and so will the CD drive. I imagine at some point you will probably be working with GIS and other modeling and data programs, and you'll likely want a computer that can handle putting windows on it too, while still truly being a Mac (that's what I did). I know a few people in my classes that have Airs. And while they are nice because of the weight, they find themselves still needing a little bit more. I take my computer to every single one of my classes to take notes and the weight really isn't a problem.
A few suggestions though as it seems from your posts you'll be using it in class like me:
get one of the plastic case things for it that kinda clip on... If that makes sense. That will save your computer from constantly placing it on desks and moving it around, especially on surfaces where other students seem to make a mess on with crumbs, tea, and other random shit.
Get a soft shell case (like Incase) for it as well for putting it in your backpack. That will protect if from the small bangs and when you are taking your bag on and off.
Get an external hard drive, no matter what computer you decided to get! I have seen computers die on campus, fall on the ground, etc. Even heard of one guy who got in a bike accident, the computer fell out of his backpack which was not in a case, it went rolling down the pavement and landed in a puddle. So it would suck balls to loose your crap like that. I back mine up every month or so but I really should do it more often. I do constantly back it up though when I'm writing 20 page research papers and stuff though.
regardless, get what you think will be best. I got my computer as a graduation present from high school to use in college, and I will get another in the spring when I graduate, kinda "This is the last shit we are paying for so make it count" deal from my parents.
I will be getting a 15" Pro with the 2.7GHz Processor (for map making and picture manipulation) 8 GB of memory for fastness, and the 750GB at 7200rpm hard drive for additional speed. In my eyes there's not much point to the retina display on such a large screen so I won't be getting that. I will however get the antiglare screen.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions! Good luck to you in College!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw your post above. Likely (in fact I can almost guarantee it) you will be using ArcGIS to work with GPS and field data. Took 4 units on learning that thing, and I still feel like I barely scratched the surface. But it takes a lot of memory and processing power to run that program efficiently