1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windows 8 Pro; is it worth it to upgrade from 7 Home Premium?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by iamsuperbleeder, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

iamsuperbleeder [OP] Licensed Lunatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner Taco - SOLD -
    TRD E-locker rear axle swap, Cherrybomb Extreme muffler, custom made CAI, 2.5" spacer lift up front and AAL's in the rear, Sport model seat swap, Pioneer X940BT, Kicker shallow 10" and 12" behind the back seat
    Anyone running it on a PC they use daily? How does it fair for compatibility and general glitches and what-not? Would it be worth it to upgrade from 7 Home Premium or would it just be a waste of money? Is there anything better about it compared to 7 in terms of the actual OS and using it in the standard Explorer mode? It's not like I'll be using a touch screen with it or anything, so the whole Metro interface would be useless to me.

I've been running a Windows 7 install for a little over 4 years now on my custom built PC. It's been running pretty much flawlessly without glitches for quite some time now, but recently some programs are causing things to "wig out" every once in a while so I was thinking about doing a fresh format and Windows install, and just thought I'd see if anyone had any real world experience and thoughts about 8 :)

2. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    I just bought a couple of all in ones for the business..had 8 loaded on it...if you're not into the social media thing with everything at your fingertips stick to the 7.

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin Wheeeeee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16’ GX460 with some junk bolted on
    The general consensus is that, unless you can pick it up for a very low price, its not really worth it. Since Metro doesn't appeal to you either, its probably really not worth it. Some people say they got a performance boost, some say there's absolutely no difference. I picked up my Win8 copy on Amazon when it first came out, for around $25. Still haven't installed it. I'd say just do a fresh install of Win7 and be done with it.

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    thelivestone

thelivestone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax
    stock for now
    windows 8 is crap. I didnt find it very user friendly.

5. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    I have Windows 8 and I'm gonna lie I actually do like it a lot. It takes some getting used to but after that I think its good software. The Metro screen is pretty cool especially because I have a touchscreen desktop.

Products Discussed in

To Top