Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Makerbot 3D Scanner

Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Makerbot 3D Scanner

Makerbot is coming out with a 3D scanner that will allow you to scan in an object which can then be printed on a 3d printer without requiring the user to design it in a cad program. Cost will be around $2000-$3000

http://mashable.com/2013/03/08/makerbot-digitizer/
Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I've used handheld 3d scanners for reverse engineering and measurement, and honestly most suck for anything more than a couple components. They get very confused on arcs and most times put in splines instead of lines or arcs. Splines are a no go when you are making laser, cnc, or dimensioned patterns. It takes more time to redo the splines than dimensioning by hand in most cases. This one is for small parts so I'm sure it would be more accurate, but it wouldn't work for anything I've scanned. For the industrial parts I dealt with we now use a CMM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I've used handheld 3d scanners for reverse engineering and measurement, and honestly most suck for anything more than a couple components. They get very confused on arcs and most times put in splines instead of lines or arcs. Splines are a no go when you are making laser, cnc, or dimensioned patterns. It takes more time to redo the splines than dimensioning by hand in most cases. This one is for small parts so I'm sure it would be more accurate, but it wouldn't work for anything I've scanned. For the industrial parts I dealt with we now use a CMM.
These are more intended as hobbyist tools. The replicator and the scanner would run about $5K total.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense. Spendy little contraption but I'm sure it's nice.