Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

need new router help

Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
need new router help

My current setup I have a Cisco Linksys e1550 ($60) and I think its on its last leg already. I've probably had it somewhere between a year or two at the most. It is a wireless N. So I have a laptop which still has the wireless g adapter installed originally on the computer, 2 smartphones, a nook tablet, wireless printer, and I play Xbox live regularly. My brother also plays and he says that since we play Xbox live and do a lot of YouTube video streaming it really puts a toll on the routers. So I've been looking at the Cisco EA3500, EA4500, and EA6500(I think is probably way overkill for what devices I have) I found speedtest.net online last night and ran a test and mine was 5.35 download speed and 1.51 upload speed. I tried it later before I went to bed and it had gone down some. I asked him what his was and he said 36.35 download and 5.73 upload. I was like good gosh what is really going on. The modem I have is a Motorola surfboard b5101 or something like that off the top of my head if modem matters. Could someone please help me get a faster connection. When we download an update on Xbox I can start mine first and my brothers will pass my progress and finish before mine.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The router can contribute to your speeds but I think it's going to be your service provider. Ask them how many mpbs you are paying for, also I would suggest steering away from Motorola anything, they are usually garbage. I bought a new Buffalo router for $40, has B/G/N connections and works flawlessly. I was skeptical at first because they aren't really a big brand but after a few reviews I figured it was worth the $40 to try.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Did you try turning the router off and back on and then running the speed test? I had an older router that would begin to slow down after a few minutes when I was streaming video wirelessly on a laptop. If the results improve dramatically then it could be time to replace the router.

Your cable modem is also an older model that doesn't support the newer cable DOCSIS 3 standard, which can explain your slower speed. If your speed test result comes back at about the same speed after power cycling the router, then you should consider upgrading the modem first.

Also, log into the router and check to see if there are any funky QoS settings on it that are giving higher priority to certain devices.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Like Large said it depends on what you are getting from the provider. It will vary throughout the day but the majority of the problem is the provider. With that many devices you also might want to bump up how much data is coming in. It can affect the strength and sometimes knock it out if too many devices are pulling from it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I should also mention I have around 12 devices run from my router and have 0 issues.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Check your speed before and after the router. This will tell you if your router is bottlenecking your connection speeds.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I should also mention I have around 12 devices run from my router and have 0 issues.
We have around 18-20 devices connected to ours and we had to bump the data coming into the house twice because devices were kicking each other off.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I like my Craftsman really well. I've had it for probably 40 years, used to us it a lot but not so much any more.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR007 View Post
We have around 18-20 devices connected to ours and we had to bump the data coming into the house twice because devices were kicking each other off.
Usually there is fine print on a router that says the max devices you can use on it. There is also fine print with your ISP, they cap your data (usually) at 100 GB. I will personally probably never use 100 GB per month but kinda frustrating knowing there is a cap at all.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
JayC06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayC06's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely check your speed right off tje modem first. I'm a cable tech that's the first thing I do when a Cust has slow speeds and you should have a doc 3 modem it does make a big difference
Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Check your speed before and after the router. This will tell you if your router is bottlenecking your connection speeds.
^^this. if you suspect the router is the issue, connect a PC straight from the modem, then speed test again. i'd be willing to get that the speed issues are from your ISP and not the router.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
I did call the cable company the day I noticed the problem and they said it was probably the router because he was sending information through the cable and he was seeing and receiving back. Through the modem.

What is a good modem that I could buy that has the doc3 or do I need to call cable provider and ask what the MB are that I have.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
I had issues with my router before because I have so many devices connected through it and I stream music and movies from a media server that is hooked up directly to the router. I wasn't getting the speeds that were advertised so I made an upgrade. I went with the Netgear N900 and I couldn't be happier. It was the best at the time I purchased it for the money so there could be more out there by now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+...&skuId=3219043
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I did call the cable company the day I noticed the problem and they said it was probably the router because he was sending information through the cable and he was seeing and receiving back. Through the modem.

What is a good modem that I could buy that has the doc3 or do I need to call cable provider and ask what the MB are that I have.
If they provide the modem they should replace it if it's faulty.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
No they don't provide the modem. I had to buy this last Motorola that I have about 1-2 years ago. About the same time I had to purchase my current router
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
I'm at home now and plugged the laptop in to the modem wired and ran the test and I got download 19.53 and upload is 1.61
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
I'm chatting with the cable comp. and they said I have the 15MBps plan and they said I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem which we already figured that out.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
E-Dub
lysias55 is on a distinguished road

Name: Evan
lysias55's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to lysias55
need new router help-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363886290.550383.jpg

I have the Linksys E4200, simple interface and they have an iPhone app that allows you quick access to all of the settings. It's a dual band router. I recommend it bc your Xbox can run on the 5Ghz band while all of your other devices run on the 2.3Ghz band. It'll give you your best speeds. Find a good used one or check amazon.