Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

what Mbps you got and suggest?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
DBTaco is on a distinguished road
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
what Mbps you got and suggest?

Wondering what Mbps you have on your cable internet connection. Through our cable we have 15mbps, 30mbps, or 50mbps. Right now I have the 15mbps but didn't know if I should get more if I have a laptop, tablet, 2 smartphones, wireless printer, play Xbox live regularly.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
You probably don't need more bandwidth, you can have 100 computers using the same connection...

it is about latency and delay for any tasks you want to accomplish...at the same time

a) is your xbox latency OK to deal with ?

b) do you watch movies online without issue ?

if a and b are true, then you don't need more bandwidth
for more devices, unless each new device will also be streaming
video at the same time as the other devices, and it causes
increased latency or jerky movies...

give the US cable providers the LEAST money you can deal with...because in the USA
all of us are getting totally robbed blind by the cable and phone providers. Too much
money for small pipes. In EU and Asia, you get huge bandwidth for ultra cheap. US is
filled with robber-barons running the show....
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So do I need just a better wireless router?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I have 60down 40up on Cox communications. I use ALOT of up bandwidth. 60$ a month.

Are you having issues? What wireless router do you currently use?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
i have 15dl/2up and two laptops, an ipad, two phones, and a ps3 i play everyday and never have an issue, but i also have 15mbps

when i had 1mbps it was still good enough for what i did, except for netflix lol
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 15mbps right now through the cable company and I currently have the Cisco Linksys E1550. The internet connection will drop a lot right here lately and I did a speed test on it last night and download speed was 5.31 I thnk and upload was 1.51. So I put my laptop connected directly to modem and speed test was dowload 17 or 19mbps. So I think the router has crapped out
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I iwas thinking linksys ea3500 or ea4500 but lady at office depot said the Ea2500 would be enough. But with gaming I didn't know or doubted it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a reason you are using cisco routers? Is it because they lay flat?

Depending on how much you want to invest, Asus and netgear routers are a lot better than cisco in my opinion. The Asus RTN-56u is one of the best. It is 11n. If you are looking for something with 11AC, Asus is coming out in the next month or so with a model RTAC-56u or something similar.

A good website for reviews is the following

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...reless-reviews

Also if you live in a apt complex, I would download innsider 2.0 and check what channels everyone elses routers are on and then set your router on a different channel.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just I've had two cisco routers and the first one lasted about 5 years and this one but only has lasted about 2 years at the most. Just started playing xbox live, this is my 2nd year so I don't know if I have punished it wore out the low grade router. So if I have the 15mbps plan through cable company with a new router what is the most mbps I could see? Wired speed test was about 17-19mbps. My brother did a speed test on his wireless and he has the e4200 i think he said, and his speed was 30 something mbps. I asked him today what mbps plan they have and he said he had no idea. I was trying to compare.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
I think it depends more on the traffic/latency. Its not like the company streams a 15MBps connection the whole time, it will fluctuate. Most of the higher end devices are meant to allow a high amount of throughput but the router isn't always configured out of the box to be the best in each scenario.

Just taking a quick look at the e2500 and e4200 a big difference is the e2500 has no PA's, Besides divulging into the radio. A decision also is if you have any devices that can use 5GHz spectrum. It is fairly new so if you have any devices that can use the 5GHz radio then you might see better performance becuase there will be less over the air traffic although the e4200 seemed to not perform too well in that regards.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
I think it depends more on the traffic/latency. Its not like the company streams a 15MBps connection the whole time, it will fluctuate. Most of the higher end devices are meant to allow a high amount of throughput but the router isn't always configured out of the box to be the best in each scenario.

Just taking a quick look at the e2500 and e4200 a big difference is the e2500 has no PA's, Besides divulging into the radio. A decision also is if you have any devices that can use 5GHz spectrum. It is fairly new so if you have any devices that can use the 5GHz radio then you might see better performance becuase there will be less over the air traffic although the e4200 seemed to not perform too well in that regards.
Before I went to Office Depot I was debating between the EA3500 and EA4500. I just couldn't decide and if I would need either one since I only had 15MBps coming in
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
You might check and see if someone else is running a wifi router on the same channel with a wifi scanner. There are apps for smartphones that can show you the traffic. It might be a matter of just choosing a different channel on your router:
http://lifehacker.com/5538927/wifi-s...e+free-channel
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
gotta love school internet...

Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I went ahead and read your other thread, and you aren't looking at all the details at once. Your variables are:

internet speed down
internet speed up
router speed
network card in the device you are using
modem

From the sounds of it, you are/were using a wireless G on a single band wireless N, hooked to a a possible non-DOCSIS 3 modem, over a 15mbps cable line.

Your two restrictions would be the modem and the wireless card.

My advice:
-upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 modem. You need this no matter what
-upgrade network cards to wireless N. If possible, reduce wireless usage.

15mbps is typically OK unless you live in a high-population area with everyone smashing on the connection.

I'm lucky enough that I used to be on Verizon FiOS, and their routers were rent-to-own after a 1 year term. I've moved a lot, and I now own two such routers. They are really powerful, and I've been able to convert them to MOCA bridges - in other words, my Xbox in my living room connects to my router in my office via cable lines, which gives me a better, more reliable connection than wireless can provide.

Quote:
gotta love school internet...
All depends on their QoS settings. Many colleges crush anything that isn't email or basic web browsing.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
100 down 50 up from verizon, They also offer 1 200 or 250 down (cant remember which one) But you need a gigabit network adapter and they run fiber straight to a special modem if you get anything above 100.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
100 down 50 up from verizon, They also offer 1 200 or 250 down (cant remember which one) But you need a gigabit network adapter and they run fiber straight to a special modem if you get anything above 100.
The fios quantum is available where i live now. 300mb speeds
Love my fiber
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
give the US cable providers the LEAST money you can deal with...because in the USA all of us are getting totally robbed blind by the cable and phone providers. Too much money for small pipes. In EU and Asia, you get huge bandwidth for ultra cheap. US is filled with robber-barons running the show....
Hey...at least you're still doing better than Canada. Also, you have more than two options for service. In Canada, it's a friggin monopoly.

I'm currently with Telus, getting 25 down, 2.5 up. It's their top-tier package. *sigh*
Most "basic" interweb packages here still have 512k up speed

I used to torrent a lot while simultaneously play WoW on a 15 down/512k up connection and didn't have any issue with that...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
The fios quantum is available where i live now. 300mb speeds
Love my fiber
Yeah its fairly new here too. It actually didnt cost me anything to upgrade from 30 down to 100 down because I was doing a one bill and re-upping my contract. So im paying the same monthly