Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Home Audio Video Hardware BS Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
My LG doesnt have the best black levels. It doesnt bother me that much. I would like to go with one of the higher end Samsungs. I really need a thin bezel to fit the 55" as you can see from the pix. I just didnt want to spend $3K+ at the time for a better display. Been drooling over the pioneer LCD in the magnolia room for a while. Man that thing has siiick blacks. but the price tag is crazy. I think like $6K maybe 8. Thats a little too rich for my blood.
Mine is a 52" Sony XBR9 , not the best by today's standards but I like it
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
My LG doesnt have the best black levels. It doesnt bother me that much. I would like to go with one of the higher end Samsungs. I really need a thin bezel to fit the 55" as you can see from the pix. I just didnt want to spend $3K+ at the time for a better display. Been drooling over the pioneer LCD in the magnolia room for a while. Man that thing has siiick blacks. but the price tag is crazy. I think like $6K maybe 8. Thats a little too rich for my blood.
My Sammy is only 1.5" thick. It amazes me how thin the set is. Also, for best black levels, it is all about Plasma. LCD is good for bright rooms though. My plasma suffers during the day as too much ambient light gets in from too many windows.

Keep an eye out for end of year deals where they are getting rid of older stock. My set was around $3k, but got a deal for $1,900.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Mine is a 52" Sony XBR9 , not the best by today's standards but I like it
No no, the XBR kicks ass, IMO.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Honestly I would just leave the cable box through the receiver. Cable is a not really a good signal, so it won't do any better through the Oppo, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. The other thing, you will have to have the Oppo on if watching TV in order to use it's video processor.

I have my cable box running through both the receiver (want to listen to certain movies/sports) and directly to the TV for everyday use.
Yeah, I do all my audio through my receiver. I don't think the speakers in my TV have ever output any sound.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
My Sammy is only 1.5" thick. It amazes me how thin the set is. Also, for best black levels, it is all about Plasma. LCD is good for bright rooms though. My plasma suffers during the day as too much ambient light gets in from too many windows.

Keep an eye out for end of year deals where they are getting rid of older stock. My set was around $3k, but got a deal for $1,900.
The newer High end LCDs with True local dimming are getting way better. they rival Plasmas, but you pay for them. My problem is the thin bezel. I can find a couple year old higher end model but it wont have the thin bezel and I would have to run a smaller set.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Crappy grainy cell phone pic of my TV room upstairs.

I am using an Epson 8350 1080p LCD projector
Elite Screens 100" motorized screen
Onkyo 7.2 receiver
Samsung bluray
Comcast cable
All wall and ceiling speakers are from monoprice
12" Polk sub
Logitech remote
Computer hooked up to receiver to play downloaded content as well

The monoprice speakers actually sound pretty nice. I am deaf in one ear so my days of being an audiophile are over but they do the job.

The Onkyo receiver is a middle of the road unit that just lacked the THX certification which I didn't think was a big deal.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post

Onkyo 7.2 receiver
Samsung bluray
Comcast cable
12" Polk sub
Logitech remote

The monoprice speakers actually sound pretty nice. I am deaf in one ear so my days of being an audiophile are over but they do the job.

The Onkyo receiver is a middle of the road unit that just lacked the THX certification which I didn't think was a big deal.
Very nice! I wish I had another room I could set up as a dedicated theater room.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #28

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post

Onkyo 7.2 receiver
Samsung bluray
Comcast cable
12" Polk sub
Logitech remote

Dig the theatre room.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #29
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
I design Theater and Automation systems if anyone has any questions ever.

My current project im doing right now is over $350,000 in gear alone. Some of this stuff if i broke it, i'd have to sell my truck. All Control4 as the backbone, Lutron blinds, Anthem power amps for multiroom audio, Paradigm Signature speakers in every room. Theater room is a JVC X95 with an Anamorphic Black Diamond Zero Edge screen, he has a lot of ambient light so i went with this screen. Theater sound is Anthem Statement Power Amps, Anthem AVM50 Processor and the famous Oppo Bluray with XBMC off a 20 TB Synology NAS for Media. This house is going to be nuts when its done. If you want i'll post some pics. Its been 2 yrs since i won the Project.

I find now i am only doing these scale of clients. High maintenance customers, and you are usually kept on afterwards to handle practically everything for them. But i'm good at it, they pay... I jump.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ is there no insurance offered in that trade ? Don't understand the whole " I'd have to sell my truck " statement .
Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #31
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
^^^ is there no insurance offered in that trade ? Don't understand the whole " I'd have to sell my truck " statement .
ya of course insurance. sorry I was just trying to be funny because the stuff is so highend. I don't think any one single piece in the house is as much as my 06 would be worth.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I sometimes have aspirations of getting into building a great setup, but thankfully I've gotten to a point of "good enough for me". Thank God, because I'm already modding the truck, fiddling with car audio, upgrading computers, tools, outdoor gear... sigh...

Anyway, I'm just rolling with a 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech Z5500, aging LG BD370 (hey, it was the first thing out that had Netflix without having to pay for Playstation), and a Logitech Harmony remote to make things easy. Nothing special, but it keeps me happy enough.

Also thought it would be fun to post up my ghetto fab theater from college. BenQ projector, no-name speakers that my roommate "bought out of a van in a parking lot", and an original xbox. The screen is just a bunch of 20' tall drywall sheets. Seating is a bunch of Goodwill couches (we eventually built stadium seating for the couches).
Only place in town where the screen was equal to the movie theater and we could serve any beverage you please!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #33

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I sometimes have aspirations of getting into building a great setup, but thankfully I've gotten to a point of "good enough for me". Thank God, because I'm already modding the truck, fiddling with car audio, upgrading computers, tools, outdoor gear... sigh...

Anyway, I'm just rolling with a 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech Z5500, aging LG BD370 (hey, it was the first thing out that had Netflix without having to pay for Playstation), and a Logitech Harmony remote to make things easy. Nothing special, but it keeps me happy enough.

Also thought it would be fun to post up my ghetto fab theater from college. BenQ projector, no-name speakers that my roommate "bought out of a van in a parking lot", and an original xbox. The screen is just a bunch of 20' tall drywall sheets. Seating is a bunch of Goodwill couches (we eventually built stadium seating for the couches).
Only place in town where the screen was equal to the movie theater and we could serve any beverage you please!

That is so awesome !
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Finally for the tv mounted .

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Okay guys, I'm renovating my living room next year and I'm trying to decide if I should do built in audio or not, I am thinking 4-6 in-ceiling speakers (vaulted speakers) I'm an electrician but I know nothing about home audio, I'd like good sound for movies and a am/fm radio receiver with a small wall display. So my question is what equipment do I need? Should I go with a built in system or a sound bar and a sub?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #36

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
vaulted ceiling tough to get proper movie sound. I would do sound bar with in-ceiling rears, or even better in wall rears.

or all in wall if possible would be best.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #37

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
Okay guys, I'm renovating my living room next year and I'm trying to decide if I should do built in audio or not, I am thinking 4-6 in-ceiling speakers (vaulted speakers) I'm an electrician but I know nothing about home audio, I'd like good sound for movies and a am/fm radio receiver with a small wall display. So my question is what equipment do I need? Should I go with a built in system or a sound bar and a sub?
If you are an audiophile that cares about the quality of the sound, I would not recommend in-wall speakers. If you don't really care too much, or have kids and want to protect the speakers, then in-wall is a good option.

For good movie sound, you should look into a 5.1 or 7.1 system. When selecting the speakers, get all the same series, for the best chance they will complement each other. Sound bars are not highly recommended.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are an audiophile that cares about the quality of the sound, I would not recommend in-wall speakers. If you don't really care too much, or have kids and want to protect the speakers, then in-wall is a good option.
Interesting , I have in walls for my rears and I'm fairly impressed with them

What is the downside to them ?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #39

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting , I have in walls for my rears and I'm fairly impressed with them

What is the downside to them ?
If one were to have in-walls, the rears are the only way to go. They probably don't sound bad at all.

The downside is their inability to develop a more full sound before it reaches your ears. Same with the front speakers, you don't want them against the wall/corner. If placed properly, you shouldn't be able to tell where the sound is coming from.

I don't have rear speakers, so your home theatre probably sounds better than mine as I don't have a true surround sound.

Keep in mind, I am very knit-picky with my sound. Most are not, and sometimes I feel what I think sounds better might be subjective or a placebo.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #40

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If one were to have in-walls, the rears are the only way to go. They probably don't sound bad at all.

The downside is their inability to develop a more full sound before it reaches your ears. Same with the front speakers, you don't want them against the wall/corner. If placed properly, you shouldn't be able to tell where the sound is coming from.

I don't have rear speakers, so your home theatre probably sounds better than mine as I don't have a true surround sound.

Keep in mind, I am very knit-picky with my sound. Most are not, and sometimes I feel what I think sounds better might be subjective or a placebo.
Gotcha

My fronts , center and sub are Klipsch , my rear in walls are Leviton / JBL , my receiver is a Sony ES2400

I'm pretty happy with my set up