Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Looking for a New laptop

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a New laptop

So im watching my laptop slowly die...... and before it totally caves I want to upgrade and move to a new laptop, some suggestions would be great

my need:
SSD
i7 or the AMD equivalent
2gb of vid card
8gb memory
video editing capable
photo editing capable
video games(mainly SC2 and Diablo 3, but recently addicted to the new bioshock)
preferably light
NOT A MAC

++ but not needed
dual harddrives
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on your budget why not build a gaming laptop?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
who builds them other Alienware??

I personally cannot stand the alienware I had, I sold it very very quickly, Ive seen some pretty beast set-ups lately, but again they are HUGE, i understand the more powerful it is, the bigger they tend to be, christ the laptop i demoed a few weeks ago had dual graphic cards

Budget inst too big, but I do have to be reasonable, as i do fly a lot and it will take a decent amount of abuse, surprised my current laptop has traveled close to 50k in miles and still in one piece
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
ASUS G75 is what I'm running, everything runs like glass. This is my 4th ASUS G series laptop and won't own anything else, also it costs half of what an Alienware does with the same specs.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Hailing from the land of bucking broncos...
farmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: farmerjon
farmerjon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
So im watching my laptop slowly die...... and before it totally caves I want to upgrade and move to a new laptop, some suggestions would be great

my need:
SSD
i7 or the AMD equivalent
2gb of vid card
8gb memory
video editing capable
photo editing capable
video games(mainly SC2 and Diablo 3, but recently addicted to the new bioshock)
preferably light
NOT A MAC

++ but not needed
dual harddrives
Been a Dell guy, moving to Lenovo/Thinkpads soon.

Lenovo builds some pretty sick laptops, and the quality is nothing but suberb. I've worked in technology for a number of years now, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'd suggest getting something in the Lenovo Outlet, some good prices there.

Or consider the Lenovo Helix soon to be released. has an Intel i7 in it. Like a laptop, but detachable from the keyboard (which is also more processing power, another battery, and a keyboard/trackpad, of course.). My ultimate laptop.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
Apple is a good place to start but if u want or need windows have one built alienware are over rated.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxsub View Post
Apple is a good place to start but if u want or need windows have one built alienware are over rated.
i strongly dislike the full layout of a mac, the feel, the UI is meh and the accessibility to freedom lol
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxsub View Post
LOL he specified no MACS so there goes that idea, But id look into just getting a alienware if your not super into building a PC. But mac can do all the things you listed just FYI
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
their are online places where you select the parts you want in the computer. its building the computer but its plug and play. sort of speak.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
I like playing mountain with the super diesel especially when it's upgraded to the max. It's challenging but I can never get past the 1580 or so mark. Gets me every time damnit!
Wrong thread bud
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
ASUS G75 is what I'm running, everything runs like glass. This is my 4th ASUS G series laptop and won't own anything else, also it costs half of what an Alienware does with the same specs.
I'm still running an Asus G73.
8 gig o ram.
1 ssd and one 7400rpm 500 gig.
radeon 5870.

Still does everything I need it to do in BF3 and any other game I throw at it on medium settings. Will definately purchase another Asus G series when this one gets another year on it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I'm still running an Asus G73.
8 gig o ram.
1 ssd and one 7400rpm 500 gig.
radeon 5870.

Still does everything I need it to do in BF3 and any other game I throw at it on medium settings. Will definately purchase another Asus G series when this one gets another year on it.
Yeah my first was the G73, then when the G74 came out I got it, then he 75.. and I will probably buy the 76.. lol. These laptops are amazingly powered for a fair price.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
excalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud of

excalis's Tacoma Gallery
Look into buying one of the MSI barebones laptops, I got one with a GTX680m that is awesome.

Gentech is where I purchased mine, you can customize it there. I ordered mine without a hard drive, OS and added the better thermal paste for the GPU and CPU. Pretty nice build quality and supa fast.

http://www.gentechpc.com/system_dept.asp?dept_id=SD-016

You can also buy them at Amazon but you will need to buy the GPU/CPU, etc and install that yourself. Cheaper though
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Wrong thread bud
lol, I was on my phone when I posted. I guess I must have clicked the wrong thread!

My bad..

Good luck with the laptop hunt!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
excalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud of

excalis's Tacoma Gallery
Have you chosen a laptop yet? Just curious.