Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

RAM question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
RAM question

just noticed this when I was searching my comp. (attached)

why this is? I upgraded to a 64 bit OS already, shouldn't it be reading the 4? what happened to the rest of the 1g?

System -
MB - Foxconn G33M02
RAM - 1(2g) ddr2 pc2 6400 stick, 2(1g) ddr2 pc2 6400 sticks
*NOTE: BOTH 1g sticks are next to each other, the 2g stick is by itself,
plz to refer to mb config.
Attached Thumbnails
RAM question-greazegrzegraeg.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand... it looks normal to me. Graphics card not used right?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

that's normal? what happens to the rest of that 1g? If I upgrade to all 2g RAM sticks, will it only leave out 75% or take out more? I plan on getting it up to 8g.

not sure what you mean by the graphics card? at the moment I only have my internet browser open.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a dedicated GPU your available ram will always be less.

The embedded graphics on your motherboard require physical RAM to operate as compared to a standalone GPU that will have it's own onboard ram.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
You use memory for graphics processing if you don't offload it to a discrete graphics card.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

read the link. makes sense now. another question (so I don't start a new thread),

As of now I have a nVidia GeForce 6200TC (BFG version)
http://www.xgcdb.com/cards/bfg/nvidi...32mb-pcie.html

I do a lot of design work (Adobe programs, some 3d modeling, but to an extent, very minimal video editing, but it is due to my video card). I am using a AOC (vga) 22" lcd monitor, want to upgrade my video card. Nothing fancy, but enough so that when I am rendering or waiting for an effect to settle in (Adobe), I don't have to come back in a couple years.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Are you planning on upgrading your whole system or just parts of it? Personally, I'd get something with somewhere between 512 and 1gb to start from there.

I've got a 300m series in my laptop with 1gb and I can run more stuff than I'd ever need, granted it also has a few other mods to it but you can pick up a decent card for under $100 for what you are using it for.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
07Taco .. was it on-board video that was using that ram? If so, now that you've got a dedicated video card, is it reporting the full 4 GB?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember to disable your onboard GPU if you have a dedicated GPU.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
Are you planning on upgrading your whole system or just parts of it? Personally, I'd get something with somewhere between 512 and 1gb to start from there.

I've got a 300m series in my laptop with 1gb and I can run more stuff than I'd ever need, granted it also has a few other mods to it but you can pick up a decent card for under $100 for what you are using it for.
just parts here and there. found me a nice SSD on CL but not sure how long that will last This rig will be mainly for design and a little video here and there (nothing large scale - at most 30 seconds). Searching for PCI Express x16 vc's - this got me confused

2G 64 - bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150659

512mb 128-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129091

besides the name brands, which would be better to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
07Taco .. was it on-board video that was using that ram? If so, now that you've got a dedicated video card, is it reporting the full 4 GB?
no, I have the vga connected to the nVidia vc. Not sure how to do the dedicated vc setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
Just remember to disable your onboard GPU if you have a dedicated GPU.
NEVER even tried doing this one. going to see if that helps. I mainly "assumed" that things would go by default or what have you.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I would expect. When you add a dedicated video card, the integrated ones should automatically disappear. This frees up their resources and avoids causing any conflicts or confusion.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is what I would expect. When you add a dedicated video card, the integrated ones should automatically disappear. This frees up their resources and avoids causing any conflicts or confusion.
That might depend on the bios. Almost any board I've used allows you to use both at the same time if desired, whether it be for hybrid CrossFire/SLI, or just for multi-monitor use, so the onboard GPU might not be disabled automatically.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #15

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
True.
I'm guessing in his case, it just silently shut itself off. Perhaps it is a bios setting where you have the choice of Auto/Enabled/Disabled
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #16

Quote:
True.
I'm guessing in his case, it just silently shut itself off. Perhaps it is a bios setting where you have the choice of Auto/Enabled/Disabled
going to have to see about getting my older brother to handle that part. I'm not too familiar with messing with the bios. I have seen YT vids, but ... this is my only rig right now (a little worried about not having a back up).

Products Discussed in this Thread