Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Wifi + rain = IRRITATED USER!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Wifi + rain = IRRITATED USER!

is there any way to keep my wifi signal from my computer at a level to where I'm NOT feeling I'm on dial up? It drops NASTY and I mean NASTY (raining right now but it sounds like it's just drizzling NOT pouring rain). I have my browser set to Google as my homepage on start up, but even THAT has problems loading.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
is there any way to keep my wifi signal from my computer at a level to where I'm NOT feeling I'm on dial up? It drops NASTY and I mean NASTY (raining right now but it sounds like it's just drizzling NOT pouring rain). I have my browser set to Google as my homepage on start up, but even THAT has problems loading.
Is the wifi in your house or are you borrowing it off a neighbor? Who's your provider? If it's in your house you would have a problem with your provider.

(This will not speed up your internet, but it may feel like it) You can try Googles DNS servers, but that would just speed up DNS lookups. I prefer them over service provider DNS servers.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Is the wifi in your house or are you borrowing it off a neighbor? Who's your provider? If it's in your house you would have a problem with your provider.

(This will not speed up your internet, but it may feel like it) You can try Googles DNS servers, but that would just speed up DNS lookups. I prefer them over service provider DNS servers.
my house. I think it's Charter. dam, just sucks cause at time I need to do money related things online and when I try to do things, every now and then the signal drops and I'm stuck waiting for something to load/transfer ... or just stuck and I have to do things all over again and then have to verify that nothing was messed up in the process while I had issues. thanks though, other than talking to the provider, nothing else I can do huh?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Is it your wifi or your internet? Try to wire a laptop or something into your router through ethernet and see if it does the same thing. If it does, it's your internet.
edit: if its your wifi, try changing the channel on the router. Sometimes you get signal interference on certain channels.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Can you use Ethernet direct to your Computer? More reliable then WiFi...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Is it your wifi or your internet? Try to wire a laptop or something into your router through ethernet and see if it does the same thing. If it does, it's your internet.
I think it's more to do with the router. I used to have one of my old comps wired via ethernet to the router and when it rained I would still have problems with my connection dropping here and there. I broke the mb of my laptop a year ago don't really have much to test on (all the comps in the house have been password only .. lil nephew reasons)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Best solution...borrow your friend computer...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

is the router yours or the cable companies? If yours, look for a firmware update. There may have been a bug and its been fixed since you bought it. If its the cable companies, call and tell them you need a new one cause it keeps dropping. It also could be a modem issue.
I have FiOS and the router is an all in one type that verizon provides, so if anything goes wrong, they send a new one, but companies are all different.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!

Also another suggestion. You mention when it rains is the only time it happens? Is there a possibility there may be a bad connection outside your house somewhere and when it rains the water gets into the wiring and causes problems?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
1) hardwire to the router via ethernet

problem the same or different ?

2) see 1

3) #1 problem with wi-fi at home is not rain, it is using a microwave
they are very dirty EFI sources and can kill wifi. but to be a nuke problem
would mean someone is only using it when it rains, hence, item 1 is the
first thing to prove/deny
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!

Quote:
I think it's more to do with the router. I used to have one of my old comps wired via ethernet to the router and when it rained I would still have problems with my connection dropping here and there. I broke the mb of my laptop a year ago don't really have much to test on (all the comps in the house have been password only .. lil nephew reasons)
^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
1) hardwire to the router via ethernet

problem the same or different ?

2) see 1

3) #1 problem with wi-fi at home is not rain, it is using a microwave
they are very dirty EFI sources and can kill wifi. but to be a nuke problem
would mean someone is only using it when it rains, hence, item 1 is the
first thing to prove/deny
Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
my house. I think it's Charter. dam, just sucks cause at time I need to do money related things online and when I try to do things, every now and then the signal drops and I'm stuck waiting for something to load/transfer ... or just stuck and I have to do things all over again and then have to verify that nothing was messed up in the process while I had issues. thanks though, other than talking to the provider, nothing else I can do huh?
Pretty much, Rain would not interrupt WiFi in your house. If you were borrowing it from a neighbor the story could be different. To rule out the devices in your house get a long ethernet cable and string it from your computer to your Wireless Router. If it still drops connection take the Wireless Router out of the equation and plug your computer directly into your Modem (This assumes they are separate devices). If you find your wireless router is the cause you can try updating the firmware (assuming you own it).
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
rain=moisture...

check all exposed and/or covered connections on the way into the house, more than likely you got some water playing with a connect or three...it could even be on the pole outside, something your provider would have to fix...

Call them, explain everytime it rains the signal goes wonkers, your paying for the service...

Good luck....
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
LRGRNR

Step 1:
Rule out everything on your end first. This includes Your computer, Wireless card, wireless modem, cable/dsl/satellite modem, wires inside the house. Anything outside the house is not your responsibility and you should not change any fittings or cables outside.

Step 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
Call them, explain everytime it rains the signal goes wonkers, your paying for the service...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
OK

I bet a shitty crimp on the cable, shorting core to shield when wet

anywhere outside from pole to house

you can fix all these yourself, except climbing a pole.

that will get you in trouble
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My guess is it's not your router since that would be inside, unaffected by rain. Unless, of course, you have water dripping on your router. As others have said, plug your computer into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router. That will elimnate the wifi altogether. If the problem is still there, it's not a wifi issue. Next, if there's a splitter (for tv) try disconnecting the cable from the wall and bringing it directly to the modem. That will eliminate the splitter and indicate that the problem is the feed from the cable company. You could also try connecting directly to the cable modem but there's some configuration you have to do to get it working (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3222616AAJy8D8).

The problem is probably outside though. Since it happens only when it rains, something is getting wet in the cable circuit. It would be best to just call the cable company and register a complaint. They'll usually fix it for free and they have tools to test the line's signal strength. I would not recommend trying to fix it yourself. A friend of mine works for Cox Cable and he has told me many stories about people changing out their splitters and cables with pretty gold-plated crap that made their problems worse.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
My guess is it's not your router since that would be inside, unaffected by rain. Unless, of course, you have water dripping on your router. As others have said, plug your computer into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router. That will elimnate the wifi altogether. If the problem is still there, it's not a wifi issue. Next, if there's a splitter (for tv) try disconnecting the cable from the wall and bringing it directly to the modem. That will eliminate the splitter and indicate that the problem is the feed from the cable company. You could also try connecting directly to the cable modem but there's some configuration you have to do to get it working (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3222616AAJy8D8).

The problem is probably outside though. Since it happens only when it rains, something is getting wet in the cable circuit. It would be best to just call the cable company and register a complaint. They'll usually fix it for free and they have tools to test the line's signal strength. I would not recommend trying to fix it yourself. A friend of mine works for Cox Cable and he has told me many stories about people changing out their splitters and cables with pretty gold-plated crap that made their problems worse.
^^ TH!S!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
A friend of mine works for Cox Cable and he has told me many stories about people changing out their splitters and cables with pretty gold-plated crap that made their problems worse.
The same people who buy Monster cables and $30 gold plated patch cables cause the sales guy said they'll make a big diff.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
Your problem is outside. Tell the tech your Internet doesn't work when it rains, he will be looking for water damage.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
The same people who buy Monster cables and $30 gold plated patch cables cause the sales guy said they'll make a big diff.
Exactly. He'll tell them it's their splitter and they swear up and down it's better until he puts the Cox splitter on and it fixes the problem.