Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

What Television should I get?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
What Television should I get?

So, I've been looking for a new primary TV for my house. I want something between 55" and 60" and has to be LED. I'm looking to spend around $2,000 bucks. I'd like built in Wi-fi and all the smart features.

I've been looking at the Samsung UN55ES8000

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

or the LG 55LA8600

Anyone have any experience with these TV's or know a better TV set? Your help would be appreciated... I've been looking at TVs for like 8 months and can't figure out which one is the best for my price range.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
My gf's dad has the 60" version of that Samsung you linked. My god it's beautiful. The only problem he's had with it is the motion/hand detection with the built in camera. The tv is in a room that even with all the lights on it's still pretty dim. Honestly, not a problem that I'd consider it being a turning point. I think Samsung's display looks better than any other tv on the market. Don't get me wrong, there are other brands I would consider buying for the right price. If I had the cash for a samsung though, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. There are electronics forums out there where people discuss and post their settings for different brand tv's that they think maximizes the display for different rooms.

FWIW, I've had a 37" Samsung 720p LCD tv for about 6 years now and it's traveled to 4 different houses. I have not had one issue with it at all and the picture still looks great.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
So, I've been looking for a new primary TV for my house. I want something between 55" and 60" and has to be LED. I'm looking to spend around $2,000 bucks. I'd like built in Wi-fi and all the smart features.

I've been looking at the Samsung UN55ES8000

or the LG 55LA8600

Anyone have any experience with these TV's or know a better TV set? Your help would be appreciated... I've been looking at TVs for like 8 months and can't figure out which one is the best for my price range.
If you have a Galaxy phone it will play nice with the Samsung TV.

I'd still choose Samsung over LG regardless.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard nothing but good things about both TVs which is why I'm stuck
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
I personally prefer Samsung. I haven't owned an LG TV before, but they are one of the 3 major LCD manufactures (along with Samsung and Sharp). I suppose it all comes down to features then.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
LG makes a fantastic TV. I have a 7 year old 46" LCD that's been flawless. My newest TV's are a Sharp Aquos 60" LED Smart TV, Toshiba 40" LED Smart TV, LG 32" LED, and a LG 24" LED, and of course my tried and true LG 46" LCD

I was told if you are going 60" and above that Sharp makes the best TV's. I kinda wish I'd bought the 80" version LOL. Don't go by the pics you see on them in the store. They're totally different at home. I professionally calibrated my TV's with a disc.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up the Samsung 55" F Series 8000 3D HDTV
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice.

I work in a 18 suite operating room where I mamage the equipment. The LG tv's are broken more often than not.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Samsung, hands down. Market leader for a reason. Their TVs are top notch. How do I know? I sell millions of dollars of inventory of them every month to the top retailers in the country. They get the best reviews, have the coolest new features, and they last.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
2004TacomaNavy is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircraft Maintenance Chief
Name: Brian
2004TacomaNavy's Tacoma Gallery
Samsung is superior in quality and picture. If your going to use it for movie watching and want an even better picture, have your new TV tuned after the break-in period.
You can google it to get more info on the process.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
I have Samsung 55" that I bought in '08. I still get compliments on the picture and the tv! I will not get rid of this LCD until I have too!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Let's see a picture of your setup fool!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
temp set up until I get it mounted

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Makes my 2009 model 8000 series look old...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit thats thin. I likey
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #16

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
That thing is niiiiiiice! Sweet buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
Makes my 2009 model 8000 series look old...
Hell, it makes my 37" LCD 720P Samsung that I paid around 700 for 6 years ago look like a joke.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it's an awesome TV, but it's pricey
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Nice tv . Picked up a 6500 a month ago and yours makes it look bulky . Lol . Still loving it though . Samsung ftw !