1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Today's Desktop Linux: Things You May Not Know..

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Az4x4, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    Been running Linux Mint 15 Mate for a couple of months now
    I miss Compiz; but, other than that, I'm very happy with it

Has anyone found a program that works with the Iphone?
    I just got one; and I've found a couple of programs, like Rythmbox, Banshee, etc., that will read my Iphone
    But, I haven't found anything yet that I've been able to synch/transfer songs and photos to it

2. Oct 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I believe you can use Compiz with Mate.

Also I used to use Amarok to sync my iPods.

3. Oct 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma TRD SR5 DC 4x4
    Deck Plate Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Amp, Sway-A-Way RaceRunner Nitrogen Shocks with Coilovers up Front, Deaver 8 Pack at the Rear with Bilsteins, All-Pro Rock Sliders, Cobra 29LTD CB, 800W Inverter, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, Garmin GPS..
    To set up Compiz with MATE in Mint 15, check this out:
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1298

I don't have an iPhone so I can't help in that regard. Glad you're enjoying Linux Mint 15!..

4. Oct 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Had LMDE on an older laptop here for a few weeks now.. thanks to you Az4x4... checking it out.. I like it so far... although I'm not using it for much more than VNC and remote x at this point, things work well.

5. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Deck Plate Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Amp, Sway-A-Way RaceRunner Nitrogen Shocks with Coilovers up Front, Deaver 8 Pack at the Rear with Bilsteins, All-Pro Rock Sliders, Cobra 29LTD CB, 800W Inverter, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, Garmin GPS..
    Awesome! Linux Mint Debian Edition is all I run these days. It keeps itself safely up to date and provides a rock solid, no viruses, no mal-ware, virtually problem free platform for whatever task you want to throw at it. Can't ask for more than that!

6. Jun 14, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Haven't been on here for a long time now. Life intrudes, and when things go south they can run a guy right off the rails. But things are better now. I moved away from the Phoenix area four years ago and now I'm living in the White Mountains, high on Arizona's Mogollon Rim. Lovin' it! Snowy winters and awesome mountain top summers. I'm riding my KLR250, working out of my '03 Tacoma 4x4, enjoying life with my high country sweetheart, and of course still using Linux - only now it's Linux Mint 18.2, the Mate' desktop edition!

Hope each of you have good things going for you, that life's treating you well, and that Tacoma's remain your favorite truck. Can't say enough good things about my '03 Double Cab 4x4. It's about as bullet proof as a truck it's age can be, and is the perfect go anywhere you can think of going vehicle for here on the mountain.

Can't say enough good things about Linux Mint 18.x either! Talk about a 'bullet proof' desktop operating system and Linux Mint is right there at the top of the list!

Enjoy!!..

Boerseun likes this.
  7. Jun 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Wow it's been 4 years already? I was actually thinking about this thread not long ago.

I'm still using plain old Debian. My desktop is on the same install from 7 years ago.

8. Jun 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    sealfab

sealfab Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    Unfortunately my job requires a lot of windows only software that either doesnt work in wine or is not worth the time to make work. So I dont use linux desktop as much as I would like to but I still use linux servers a lot, first distro was slackware sometime around 2001ish. Currently I have a nas/fileserver/general purpose box running debian 8 running gnome, an ethereum mining rig running ubuntu server, a raspberry pi running pi-hole, another pi running octoprint, and a couple of VPSs running ubuntu

9. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just recently I upgraded my computers to the new Linux Mint 18.2 Mate' desktop edition, a traditional point and click GUI environment featuring state-of-the-art default apps.

For those who have yet to experienced Linux Mint 18.2, it's available for download with the Mate', Cinnamon, KDE Plasma and XFCE desktops.

My favorite, the Mate' desktop edition, provides a clean, well laid out, uncluttered UI with a traditional single panel located at the bottom edge of the screen. From this panel the user can access the main menu, is able to launch applications and can work with opened windows.

Mint's default applications include the Pidgin Instant Messenger, Firefox web browser, Banshee music player, Thunderbird email client, GIMP image editor, gThumb image viewer, HexChat IRC client, Transmission torrent client, VLC Media Player, Totem video player, as well as the outstanding Microsoft Office compatible LibreOffice office suite.

Mint's superb Mate' desktop environment requires barely 500MB of RAM and runs well on both old and new computers. If you have a computer stuck on a shelf somewhere, something that hasn't worked well with Windows for some time, by simply installing Linux Mint in place of Windows you can turn what may have been a lost cause into a machine you can use and enjoy once again. If you run a newer machine, Mint provides a whole new perspective on what a PC user's experience can be!

The installations I did were upgrades from Linux Mint 18.x to Mint 18.2, and the process could not have been simpler or more straight forward. For a complete overview of what's required and how easy it is to do, click this THIS LINK!

However you go about experiencing Linux Mint, whether as a new installation on an older machine, an OS upgrade to a newer machine, or installing it in a dual-boot configuration alongside Windows so you have the best of both worlds available at your fingertips, once you've been hands on with Mint it's likely you'll never go back!..

Boerseun likes this.
  10. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Been there, done that while trying to run things in Wine. Then I installed Virtualbox in Mint, setup a minimal version of Windows 7 for whenever it was needed, and had the Windows stuff I worked with at my fingertips right on my Mint desktop. Worked for me, and it works for others as well..

The whole world runs Linux servers! Ya can't beat 'em!! Windows servers, not so much anymore..

11. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, why not?!! Running Debian you wouldn't have missed a lot that's new these past 7 years. Seems it's always a few years behind times, but if you keep security updates current you should be good to go another 7 years!..

12. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    sealfab

sealfab Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    A lot of it involves connecting to hardware over usb or usb to serial its just to much of a pia to troubleshoot when using a vm

13. Jul 15, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I use Debian's "unstable" branch (still very stable despite the name). It's probably slightly ahead of Mint, since Mint is based off of Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based off of Debian.

14. Jul 15, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Sistema1927

Sistema1927 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    The Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have tried a bunch of different Linux distros over the years, but have settled on Ubuntu for a couple of laptops. Recently started playing with a Raspberry Pi, headless, for an amateur radio application, running a modified version of Raspian.

15. Jun 16, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Back again, still driving my '03 DC 4x4 SR-5 Tacoma up here in Arizona's high country, and still love Linux on the desktop!

Check it out! https://distrotest.net/ gives everyone the opportunity to explore first hand, without downloading, installing or running anything, the 3 most important questions a potential Linux user can ask: 1) Which Linux distro is the best for my purposes; 2) Which graphical user interface (GUI) do I want; and 3) What configuration options are available to me.

https://distrotest.net/ makes available, completely online, 689 desktop versions based on 223 unique operating systems, with the end-user experience seamless and utterly simple. Try to avoid high traffic times when using this service for best overall results.

If there's a Linux distro or a desktop you're even mildly interested in exploring first hand, without having to do anything other than go online and check it out first hand, DistroTest may be right up your alley!..

16. Jun 19, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    Az4x4

Az4x4 [OP] Az4x4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    White Mountains, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Seems that using DistroTest to check out various distributions with a slow DSL connection is not a really smooth experience. IF you have a high speed cable connection you'll likely do much better than I do here in Arizona's high country with Frontier DSL service. DistroTest is pretty much worthless with the huge amount of traffic it handles if you're on a slow connection. Just a heads up for those like me stuck on a slow system..

17. Jun 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    It's using VNC to display a desktop. That can be a little slow over a LAN. Over a WAN, even with high speed cable, could be slower.

Products Discussed in

To Top