1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gaming PC Build!!!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Forster46, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    Dizo

Dizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Aux Audio-input, 5100's @ 1.75", 2" Wheeler's AAL, LED Underhood Lighting, Anytime ABS-Off Switch,
    My experience with these has been good for web browsing, but horrible for gaming use. I tried several brands but nothing worked well for gaming.

If you run anything else on that circuit you just experience way too much packet-loss and it simply won't keep up with gaming. Also, if you have a TV or phone connection that runs through your ethernet and gets its power from the circuit you're going to try a powerline on then it won't even work well for internet browsing in my experience.

2. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Dizo

Dizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Aux Audio-input, 5100's @ 1.75", 2" Wheeler's AAL, LED Underhood Lighting, Anytime ABS-Off Switch,
    I've used this exact card without any issues playing SC2 and BF3, just make sure your router is up to the task and within range.

What games are you planning on using this machine for? Wireless internet isn't the complete devil for gaming, but some games are bit intensive on your network for wireless to be suitable. If you're unhappy with the wireless connection you get from this card a better card won't help much, so run to the store and grab a 100' length of Ethernet cable and run it through the hallways :devil:

3. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    Of course, I'd rather have ethernet cable in my walls, but that is a LOT of work. The powerline gadget is super easy to install and cheap, and works great for me - I often play BF3, zero issues. I have one unit plugged in (directly to the wall) near the cable modem, and have used the other one all over (garage, living room, dining room) and it has instantly fired right up. My casa has a mix of old knob & tube and newer romex, seems to work equally well on both. :woot: for that little thing.

4. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    linzy77

linzy77 Does not suffer fools lightly

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access V6 TRD Off Road
    Make sure the memory you bought was on this list.
    http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2501.pdf <- QVL for your board

The 3.0 vs 2.0 PCIe should be backwards compatible so you should be fine there.

As far as network cards I like ASUS and TrendNet with Dlink third. Stay away from the rest of them or anything you can buy at best buy/staples/office___ they are all shyte.

I would think that PSU is a little on the weak side if you ever wanted to add any other components or drives but the Corsairs makes quality stuff and is the only PSU I buy. Should be fine for now though.

Other than that way to go! Glad to see you decided to build one rather than refurb those others.

5. Aug 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    In my entire house, I have one phone jack in our kitchen, and one in our basement, where our modem and wireless router is located. So unless I want to get a 100' ethernet cord, (I would probably need longer actually) and want to run it across an office, living room, up some stairs, another living room, and into this room, I am kinda stuck with wireless :(

6. Aug 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    This is the ram I purchased http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls2kit4g3d1609ds1s00 :notsure:

And yeah I had a few people tell me that psu was weak and to get something bigger, and most people do. The only reason I bought this was because my wattage draw from this build (according to pcpartpicker) was only about 360w. And I chose this PSU because out of any low wattage psu, this is really the only one I have seen, and I have seen a TON of people using it, and read nothing but good reviews, so I figured for 19.99 after rebate, I can afford to just upgrade to a larger one later!

7. Aug 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Little mini update:

As I was sitting here shaking and waiting for all my parts to ship, I decided to order a few 120mm led fans, and a Lite-On CD/DVD Drive. I forgot both of these when I ordered everything else, and got these parts dirt cheap. So now I am waiting on about 4 shipments....

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
    Airdog

Airdog did your Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airdogs-2012-prerunner-access-cab-slow-build.264263/
    My gaming computer. Built by me!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375859997.223229.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375860011.784996.jpg

Water cooled i7 at 4.0ghz. Nvidia 4gb 670 Gtx running a 47 inch main screen and 3 23 inch touch screens. Running a SSD hard drive for the OS and another for my favorite games as well as a 1 terabyte storage drive.

I can probably help out if you have technical questions. Just pm me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    That is awesome... It looks like an actual cockpit!

10. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I've done that.

PC (and thus, the DSL modem) is downstairs.
    For quite a while, I was building PCs on the side, and did so in the spare bedroom. Of course, I needed network access for setup files and internet setup.
    Bought a roll of Cat-5, ran it up the wall behind my desk, across the living room ceiling zip-tied to the metal channel that contains the surround speaker wires, along the top of another wall, secured with those square adhesive zip-tie mounts, around the stub wall, up the corner of the stairwell, along the top edge of that wall, around the corner, over the bedroom door, into an air conditioning vent, and across the landing and out the AC vent in the spare bedroom.

Attached the RJ45 connectors and used that cable for 5 years.

11. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I would do that but I would look pretty terrible haha. I did it once with a 30' internet cord before I had a wireless adaptor for my xbox 360, but that was down in the basement. I may go with the plug in deals posted above, or just with a pci card and hope that the speed isn't too unbearable.

12. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    My newegg shipment went from california, to seattle at 8:00, then arizona at 8:19...... that's the wrong way!!!

13. Aug 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Case and power supply got here today :D

14. Aug 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    I should be getting my new vid card today, gtx560TI died while I was away.

:cheers: for building your own rig!

15. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    Dizo

Dizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Pretty sure most guys who build their own rigs have a wire running through their place at some point in their gaming life :p I've certainly had more than one place where the wire was just on the ground through half the house. All for that bit less ping!

Make sure you update us with build pics and a benchmark as soon as it's together!

16. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco

Oh I will be taking pictures of all the parts when they get here, then unboxed, and pics along the way. I will have to download some program to check the fps and whatnot, I have no idea about benchmarking really.

17. Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Ram just got here. Waiting on one shipment from Amazon and one from outletpc, then I'm ready to build!

18. Aug 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    :woot:

The build goes too fast. Enjoy it!

19. Aug 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    :woot: one day I'm gonna build a fast machine

20. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Dizo

Dizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Yeah, this brings up a good point for the OP:
    Make your cable routing pretty the first time round! You take a few hours to do a great build and you'll be running it for months and months, so you may as well take the time to make things proper inside the case. And then we can oooh and ahhhh at your pics :p

Products Discussed in

To Top