1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

long time Iphone user going to Android

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jetta.the.hut, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut [OP] B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    i want my junk to look like it has its own phone

2. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    cool thanks, i have a samsung all in one computer i just bought too and my son said you can link them some how. i'll have to look up that and the keyboard trick.

3. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series
    It does have that option just have to turn it on in the settings. just saying. :) Lights up everytime when you receive a notification or a msg.

4. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Ahhh ok... Well... still not enough to make it worth it. Really the big things for me are the small screen, no swype keyboard, no elm327 support, and no wireless charging.

I think the screen is the biggest deal breaker for me though. It would have been a lot harder decision if the new iphone would have had a bigger screen like the Android phones.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. Sep 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    I've had every iPhone models as well and galaxy a S1 and a S2. The iPhone works better for whatni need ( web, youtube, email) but I've pre order the note 3 for the larger screen. Ill be back as soon as apple decide they want to get their heads out of there ass and offer a bigger screen.

6. Sep 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    i saw the Note 3 was in stores last night, might want to check but it comes with a 745 buy it outright price tag, even though i get 40% off i cant swing that.

I looked at the Samsung Mega and its has horrible reviews online, they say its a budget phone that most people are trying sell to get back to the Galaxy platform and away from the Mega.

7. Sep 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    Fester

Fester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Louisiana
    NOT YET
    I am sorry if someone has already said this. But...

The 5c is the same phone as the 5 but with a color case.

The 5s does have some new features that the iphones have never had. Such as a finger print reader for screan lock. The lil square at the bottom will now be a biometric scanner.

8. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Im in the same boat. went from a iphone 4 to a GS4. the S4 is a lot bigger and I find it hard to do some things with one hand. It does take better pics and is easier to read kindle books on though.

As for the galaxy s2, that thing is a tank. My wife used it for about a year and now our 3 year old son plays games on it from time to time but its been dropped, stepped on, you name it, and it just keeps going. No case or anything.

9. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Use them both, like them both for very different reasons. A BIG point in favor of Android phones is that most of them can swap fresh batteries in and out on long trips. Can't do that with an iPhone. Also love the Cyanogen root mod for Android.

The iPhone's got some apps I use every day, where the Android offering of that same/similar app does not cut the mustard. Also if you're a big headphone listener, the sound quality of any Apple product absolutely blows the Android offerings out of the water.

Oh yeah: iPhone camera vastly superior to any Android offering. Moot point for me as I rarely shoot pics with my phone.

10. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    The Mega is just an entry level processor in a huge screen with no S-Pen support,

I got to see the Note-3 today and was impressed, we see very very little issues with the Note-2 and the 1.7ghz? quad core processor does everything better than anything I have seen,

The Note-3 steps up the the plate with an even faster quad core processor.

Just for battery life alone the Note 2 or 3 should impress.

The company I work for is getting the iPhone soon so I am very curious to see how they all stack up against one another.

11. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    WittyTaco

WittyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greyson
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner TRD Super White
    3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 2 JL 10's and Plasti Dip
    I used to have an android, an HTC Evo, and i loved it. Then sprint got the iPhone so i got the 4s and now the 5. Both times i wish I would have gotten another android. They are a lot more capable, even when jailbroken (which I do) the iPhone will never be as good as android. ;)
    Oh and the fact that apple calls dual flash "ahead of its time" just makes me angry. :mad:

12. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    I've always had great results with Samsung products, from cameras to tvs to cell phones. I had the Samsung blade for almost 4 years before I traded up to the HTC EVO. Even at that there was nothing wrong with the blade except that the whole world was smartphone and I still had a flip phone. The damn EVO crapped out after a year, and I upgraded to the Samsung S2, been the best phone to date. I will have had the phone 2 years this January.

I like apple, I use my ipad non stop everyday, my biggest gripe about the IPHone is the small screen. If you don't mind a small screen well iPhone is a great choice. I guess bottom line is just preference, both android and apple are exceptional products. Just my .02

13. Sep 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I went from an iPhone 4 to a GS3 and do not regret it. The GS3 has a great screen, and the swype keyboard is pretty awesome, external speaker is quite a bit louder. I just feel that it is not as organized and user friendly as the iPhone. iPhone is 10 times more intuitive, apps are better and more polished, and the OS flows a whole lot better than the S3. Battery life was also much better on the iPhone. As soon as Apple makes a phone with a bigger screen, I will be getting one, that is the only true deal killer for me currently. My 2 cents :homer:

14. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    Ok just picked it up and my SIMM is a nano so it wont work so no word on functionality just yet. The size difference is huge, Ram mount is going to be 50 dollars so that's on hold, first purchase is going to have to be a case for it.

I'll report back as soon as I can get a SIMM card.heres a picture to compare it to my i5 in an otterbox.
    Why does this forum always invert my pictures when I upload them directly,grrrrrr!

image.jpg

15. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    I went from the iphone 3gs to the first note. I at first didn't have any issues but when the os upgrades starrted coming out I had issues. A friend at work did the upgrades and had some majore issues. I plan on going back to the iphone with the 5s this weekend. Would I do the c model.....no.
    Honestly there were some annoying quirks to me with note. I feel the iphone apps are more stable. Plus all the songs I have in itunes not to mention the movies it jist makes more sense for me to go back.
    What can I say? I wanted to tey something different, I did, and not my cup of tea. Good luck op.

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Currently have the S3 and I really like it. It is very capable and has a great camera. My next move may be to the Note 3 or I may wait until I get a look at what Motorola has on the horizon.

My wife is a huge Apple fan but I just do not like the ecosystem of the iPhones. I just find there is so much more I can do with Android, not to mention that iTunes drives me nuts.

17. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    undecided

undecided Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4X4
    CAI, CB radio, Double Din Stereo, Aero Exhaust, Softopper, BHLM, KODE Push Button Start, Bruteforce Fab Rear bumper, Weathertechs
    Have you thought about a windows phone? I think the app availability need some work since its a newish platform compared to the rest out there but I am liking it so far.

18. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    My daughter wants the new Nokia so well see, it's the one with the 41mp camera

19. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    For you android users - download and learn the app "Llama"

I am surprised these phones have not partnered up with them and come preinstalled. It is a location software that learns where you are based upon cell towers (work, home, car, etc.) You then tell the app to do certain things when you are in a certain place at a certain time.

For example, I have it set up to turn off wifi and bluetooth at work (only turn on Bluetooth when in my car), turn off mobile data and GPS when at home and only receive data by wifi. It automatically goes into "quiet" mode when at work and when I go to bed between 10 PM - 5 AM.

In all honesty, this app made my battery on my GS3 go from 1 day to over three days on a single charge. No more searching for wifi or Bluetooth (huge battery killers).

20. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff

The Motorola's come with a similar app built in called smart actions. Does the same thing. I have pretty much the same "smart actions" as you, and a few others. I have it go into airplane mode from 12am - 6am since we don't get reception at our house, it turns bluetooth on while driving, off when at work or home, automatically turns wifi on at home with mobile data off, automatically forwards calls to my home phone when i'm at my house, etc..

It has also dramatically increased my Atrix HD's battery life. I'll be upgrading to the new Motorola in a few months.

I had iPhones from when the first came out for a while (as a matter of fact i'm still using my iPhone $30/ month unlimited data plan thats grandfathered in for me...:cool:). I liked them, but the iTunes universe always frustrated me. Other little things like when you got a new computer, unless you used third party apps you couldn't transfer non-itunes music off your phone onto the new computer(iirc you could mount the 1st iphone and maybe 3g/s as a usb drive and pull everything off, but not with the newer ones).

I've now had the original Atrix and currently the Atrix HD. They are super durable, run on par with the iPhones I had, and I like the customization options. And Apples "revolutionary fingerprint reader", my original Atrix had that like 3 years ago. Apple just seems to be hyping/ marketing it more than Motorola did.

I also like that I can pair them with my ELM27 bluetooth OBD II reader. I use it to run "torque", which is basically a scangauge/ utlragage app for the phone. iPhone has something similar, but with no where near the options of "torque". I can datalog, clear codes, realtime monitoring of any PID that the ECU is reading, etc..

I think the iPhone has a better antenna than my Atrix HD though. The Mrs. has an iPhone 4 (personal) and a 5 (work), and they both get reception where mine does not. My atrix gets no reception at our house, her iphones get spotty "1 bar" of reception.

In the end it's personal preference, it's like the windows vs mac debate. I prefer the Android OS, takes maybe another 30 minutes at most to learn compared to iOS. If you've used windows folder based system, you can use Android. I like the larger screen, swype, that my android with google maps has had turn by turn navigation for years before iPhone (for free), etc..

Products Discussed in

To Top