1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

long time Iphone user going to Android

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jetta.the.hut, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut [OP] B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    the wife had the latest Atrix but had nothing but problems, so she bought an S3 and loves it. My daughters still using a 1st gen Atrix though with no issues except wanting something newer.

2. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff

I have heard of others having issues, maybe I got lucky :notsure: Either way i'll be upgrading to the newest motorola in 2 months.

Just as a side note, I recommend buying your phone from Best Buy. Their protection plan is awesome. If you don't regualry damage/ drop/ misplace the phone then getting it anywhere is fine. But if you're like me and you beat the shit out of them, drop them in mud, water, etc... it is so worth it. They don't ask any questions. You bring the broken phone, they give you a replacement of same model if they have it in stock, you can get another similar "tier" phone or they will order the same one if they don't have it in stock. And, if you want something newer you can choose to just pay the difference in price between the two phones non-discounted price.

I've gone through 3 atrix's, not because of the phone crapping out, but dropping it in mud/ breaking it when doing site visits, I flipped my boat and my dry bag wasn't sealed all the way and swamped one, dropped a dumbbell on one of them in my pocket at the gym, and other such abuse. No questions asked, 2 they had in stock and handed me a brand new one, the last one they had to order and they gave me a loaner until it came in.

3. Sep 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    i work for AT&T so i have to get them from a corp. store to retain my discount, sucks but worth the 40%

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    ok guys just an update to let every know that there is life away from apple, I have found myself more and more suprised by Jelly Bean and Android,
    no jailbreaking the phone to get apps,
    everything i had before and some i paid for were free on google play store.
    The battery in the NOTE II is frigging nothing short of amazing, 2-3 days on 1 charge with talk and internet surfing and leaving wifi on all the time.
    The S pen is awesome
    It actually works and speed through pages faster than the iphone 5.

All in all for what i use it for and the fact my Ipad Mini got Ios7 and i dont like any of the new changes im happy with my decsion to switch.

thanks for all the help guys

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    porchop

porchop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD PRO S/C
    i had originally bought an atrix hd back in December and the thing crapped out on me after 3 days... I currently have an iphone 5 but REALLY want a GS4

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have the Note 2 and I love it. I haven't had any problem with it. My wife is going from the iPhone 4 to a Note 3 (which is out in a couple of days).

7. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    What do you do for AT&T? My wife is a customer service rep for AT&T out here.

8. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I had the original Atrix as well. I liked the phone. I would still be using it if it had LTE speed. I have the lapdoc as well though it's of no use to me anymore. It was nice for flights. I had a fullly charged phone at the end of the flight even though I used it the whole flight.

The Note 2 (might be on all the Galaxy phones) has a blocking mode feature to turn off the ringers, alarms, timers, and LED/sound notifications at a set time. The nice thing about it is you can add exceptions (so if you wife called during the blocked time, she could still get through).

9. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    What's the issue with the itunes songs? If they're not copy protected (m4a), you can just drag them to the Android phone and they'll play fine.

10. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    Welcome to the dark side.. We have cookies... and Icecream sandwich, Jellybean, Gingerbread... Honestly my mom has an iphone, and shes ok with it but only really likes it because of facetime with my brother in the military.. But i love my Casio 4G LTE (Gz'One 811) Its super fast, i get at least 12-16 hours of play/standby/music out of it.

For the people that are like oooo we have the cloud, Itunes, Siri, blah blah blah.. I have Google music, which i have connected to my Itunes on my computer.. So all my Itunes are on my phone over the Google Cloud...

We have a siri like app called Jennie... she does the same crap.. and works just as good.. or bad.. however you want to put it...

We also have more apps for free than Itunes.. and were not bound to Apple products and apps.. Plus most android devices for 2007 and up all use the same power plug.. Instead of having to buy a different one now the 5 is out...

Oh and i can upgrade my internal memory to over 64GB if i want...

my phone is waterproof, shock proof, Screen is Gorilla glass, .. hell i drove an ambulance over my phone and it doesnt have a scratch one.. all without a extra case costing $50-$200..

Oh and its free from verizon right now..lol...

11. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I have a note 2, best phone I've ever owned. I have an iPhone5, and now with iOS7 its even more of a toy than it was before.

Apple has lost its edge, end of story.

12. Sep 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    God Bless her! they take all the heat, Im a Service Tech. in core I&M, Legacy Bellsouth.

13. Sep 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    This = WIN!

14. Sep 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Truth. My wife gets yelled at by jerks every day. Some people think the only way to get action is to scream and yell. Some people are still mad even if she gives them what they're asking for.

15. Sep 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I just did the opposite. Went from the original HTC Incredible to an iPhone 5. Rooted my Incredible but never used it for anything else other than some rooted wifi tethering (which totally sucked on the verizon 3g network). Most of the ROMs people put out are garbage, full of quirks, and finally go to shit after a couple months of usage for some reason. I could never find one I could stick with. I got tired of flashing new ROMs on it. I flashed MIUI onto it and really liked the iPhone-esque feel.

I finally found out I just needed a phone to use as, well, a phone. I didn't want to have the urge to root it, and would never feel the need to jailbreak an iPhone, so I went with what my girlfriend (Apple fan) has. Not knocking on Android, as my Incredible served me well for 3-4 years.

The one thing that I don't think I will get used to is how counter-intuitive the settings menu is laid out for the iPhone...just when you think an option will be in one category, it is in a whole different one. I also thought the lack of a dedicated back button would drive me nuts but I have quickly gotten used to it. Only other thing I hate is no access to the battery. My iPod classic battery calibration just took a shit on me, and I'd hate to have to send my iPhone in after warranty expires to replace the battery.

16. Sep 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    ive used every iphone iteration since the start. when it reached iphone 5, i decided i wanted to try something different. i went to the gs3 and couldnt be more happy. the phone is awesome. ive had it now for about a year and want to upgrade to the gs4 but dont want to pay full price lol. i just bought my wife the 5s, since thats what she wanted. the phone looks awesome, no doubt about it.

17. Sep 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    And the company does nothing to protect us, it's our fault until proven otherwise.

18. Sep 24, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I went from iPhone 4 to the note 2. It's a great phone but the size got old real quick.even for me who watches a lot of Netflix at work.i gave it away after 5 months and went back to the iPhone. They are coming out with the galaxy mega,it's almost and inch bigger

19. Sep 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    jetta.the.hut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    Stay away from the mega, I've read it's a budget phone In a big case, and the Note 1 was a better phone than the Mega

20. Sep 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I too thought I would get away from iPhones so I bought the note 2 when it first came out. I enjoyed it for about 6 months till the S4 came out but the size of the note 2 got old quick. The S4 was a good phone but even though it had a 13mp camera on it it still didn't take as good of pics as the iPhone 5. It has a bunch of features that the iPhone doesn't have but I never really used them. Now I am back to an iPhone 5 and couldn't be any happier. The only downfall with the iPhone is you can't talk and browse the web with verizon.

Products Discussed in

To Top