1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windows 8 sucks

Discussion in 'Technology' started by g8torbrock, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Apr 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    g8torbrock

g8torbrock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad package 4x4
    Bought a new dell touch screen a few weeks ago. After using xp for several years, Windows 8 was a kick in the balls. I was just starting to kinda get the hang of it when it done an auto update. Now it has locked me out saying my Microsoft account password is incorrect. I made a new password and still says invalid. Done some research and seems this is a common problem. Haven't seen any real fixes other than reinstalling Windows 8. So I now have a 3 week old laptop that is non functional. Way to go Microsoft. In order to chat with Microsoft you have to log into your account. Hello, thats the problem. Never had a Mac, but guess I should

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    hmm, not sure what happened there. I put Windows 8 on my desktop upstairs, updated it to 8.1 and don't have any problems at all. Actually runs pretty smoothly for a new OS. You do know that you could have skipped the whole Microsoft account setup and just stuck with a local account right? That seems to be the catch to most people as to why they don't like it. Microsoft keeps shoving their account setup down users throats. I get why they do it. It's just annoying.

3. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Oh geez. I didn't know that. My mom and dad just got a new laptop Sunday and I went to set it up Sunday night and I made them a Microsoft account b/c I thought it was mandatory since I didn't see where you had the option of not doing it. Hope theirs will be ok, I think I got to update theirs to 8.1 next time I'm over there. I did get him to write down his account info so maybe that will help him out.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
  5. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Not sure what proof you have here considering I support corporate equipment and user's. Would I use Windows 8 in a corporate? No. Not at the moment because most companies are just now upgrading to 7, but that doesn't mean it is a "loser" in any repair techs mind.
    I find it funny that just because people don't like the way it looks, it automatically makes it a bad OS. The underline OS works almost exactly the same compared to Windows 7. You just get a Metro screen, which can be changed to how you want it to look and can set it to where the desktop shows at start up, log in, or any other time you want.

Linux is awesome.......for servers. Red Hat is pretty powerful and works amazingly for corporate servers. Linux as a personal pc OS, not so great. It sucks having to do your research to see what drivers may work for which version of Linux, then compile them, compile the software you need, and still be limited to what everyone else is using. Sure you can get OpenOffice but for the average user, Linux is not the best choice.

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Not a bad thing if you already created the Microsoft account. I'm just not a big fan of logging in with an email address. When you log in, your emails automatically appear in the Mail app, so everybody else who may use it can see your emails. Although, if they decide to get a windows tablet or phone, it'll come in handy as it can sync it all together. Here is an article that helps show you how to setup 8-8.1 as a local account versus Microsoft account.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

I think the only downfall of doing this though is you are very limited to downloading apps from the store. I think majority, if not all, will require you to sign in resulting in creating a Microsoft account anyway. Not sure if you can set it up with a local account, then create the Microsoft account just for the store, but still log in with a local account. Haven't tried it yet.

7. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    MedicMutt

MedicMutt Purveyor of Useless Information

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    OME suspension, Whiteline bushings, Line-X'd Jason topper, GoRhino "Grille Guard", many more...
    Windows Phone 8 sucks, too... Kinda related :notsure:

8. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    g8torbrock

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Save them some trouble and go to account settings, user, and set as local account. Wont have to deal with the Microsoft account. Wont be able to access your computer from a remote computer, but if its for home use like me, who cares. Research this problem on google search. Very common

9. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Wouldn't know. I've only used a few androids and iphone. Never used or wanted a windows phone. Currently still using the S3 at the moment and not too thrilled with it. Battery life is crap and regret not holding it and getting the feel of it more before pulling the trigger on it. Feels pretty cheap.

10. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    g8torbrock

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Im so stupid. Got home from work and signed in to my Microsoft account. Bam . Computer up and running. Took my original password. Went to see how to switch to local account then hesitated. Update to 8.1 for free it said. Must log in as administrator. I am the only person on the computer but said ok, I'll log out then log back in to get the upgrade. Guess what? Locked out again. If I ever get back in, I will go to local account. Unbelievable

11. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    MedicMutt

MedicMutt Purveyor of Useless Information

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    OME suspension, Whiteline bushings, Line-X'd Jason topper, GoRhino "Grille Guard", many more...
    Used it for 13 months, phone died yesterday. Booted up the old iPhone, got it back on the system; happy as can be.

Avoid Windows phone at all costs.

12. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    Twalt87

Twalt87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    Fair warning, when updating from 8 to 8.1 alot of people suffer from user profile corruption and it make the comp run like its 10 years old. Fix is to delete the profile.
    Test is just make a 2nd one and if that one isnt slow, you know. Btw deleting user deletes everything in their user folder too.

Offset, all phones nowadays have a pretty shit battery lol. Most people dont get more then 24-48 hrs with moderate use. (as far as any ive seen)

13. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats

I was having problems with my S3 within the first two months of having it. Switched back to some cheap basic phone and was just as happy. Dropped it in a cup of drink on my way to work one day and killed it. Had to switch back to the S3. I should have kept my iphone instead of upgrading. I'm lucky to get half a day without having to charge it back up.

This very well may be true, but less than 8 hours of battery life is not normal. My wife's iphone 5 will last 2-3 days with no problem as my old iphone would as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    g8torbrock

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Didn't know I could skip the Microsoft account when setting up first use. Coming from XP, lol. After researching all night, i found out i could. Should have done it when it let me in this morning.Stupid stupid stupid. Now im locked out again.why do I have to be so optimistic

15. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    hah no worries. I did the same thing at first because I wasn't paying attention. I tried to hit back and realized it had already set it. I just wiped it and did it again. No harm done. Sure you can change it to a local account. It'll create another user profile so just move your files over and delete the profile you don't need.

16. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    V8Square

V8Square Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Show-Me-State
    Vehicle:
    2001Tacoma V6,4WD
    Yes it does. But, there is hope. Here is Microsofts number. They can help you. They did me. 800-642-7676

17. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    THIS ^^^^

not related to OPs problem, but if you want your start menue back and you want to have both the tablet style functionality, as well as the classic windows setup, classic shell is awesome. i downloaded it on my Samsung touchscreen laptop and have been really happy with windows 8 ever since.

18. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    g8torbrock

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Research shows it happens aftter a system update. Might justreinsttall Windows 8 and NOT use Microsoft account. My desktop password works jI'll check later when i an no longr commatossedust cant getg in ti mircsoft. H
    annb7g guess I shiould chat llator. Fingerd. Loosingncontrkol. From ambien. My beloved sleepaid pill that saves ne froom nuch needed sleep. Once you take , you better be able to get in the bed soon. Think I waited too long. Good night andbthanks

19. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    g8torbrock

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the number my man. Will give a call . Good night to all andbkeep it going. Ill check back in a fews ourster this sleeping pilllwears off.Ambien is some ggood $*tt. Couldnt do shift work without it and cantbdo anything willeunder its influece

20. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    That's cool you made some easy money. Still don't know why so many user's hate on 8 so much other than how it looks. Times are changing. With laptops and all in ones putting in touchscreens, it only makes sense to put 8 on them. 8 was built for touchscreens simple as that. Yeah Microsoft tends to flop every other one, but 8 seems to be less of a flop compared to others in the past. 7 is the modern XP that will be used in the corporate field for the next 10 years until it's no longer supports as well. 8 will become the new consumer version and whatever is after 8 will most likely be the next corporate version. I don't see a whole lot of companies going to 8 just yet. I have seen a handful, but not much.

Products Discussed in

To Top