1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DirecTV questions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ABA180, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Jul 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I had Directv installed a few yrs ago. Prior to this, every room in my house was wired for cable with splitters and whatnot in the basement.

I have boxes on my living room and upstairs TVs. More recently, I went to incorporate the pre-existing jack in my spare room. Upon doing this I found the living room and spare room TV must be on the same channel. If you turn one to a different channel, the other one loses signal.

What to do..is there a solution without popping for the wireless setup or do I just live with it?

I am only using coax cable, no HDMI's.

2. Jul 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    crushh87

crushh87 Woo Pig

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner Silver
    4in MaxTrac Lift Spindles, 2in Pro Comp AAL, MB 352 16x8.5 Wheels, 285/75/r16 General Grabber AT2s, 2.7L I4
    Just call DirecTV, save yourself the time.

3. Jul 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    You probably need a different receiver for each TV. My guess is the signal is too weak to split it (probably by design). I have a buddy who works for Cox Cable. They can tell if another TV is hooked up to it because it degrades the signal. We had one particular channel that always came in fuzzy. Turns out the neighbor had tapped into the line in the garage below us. It's also possible the splitters are crap. I know with Cox, my buddy has replaced "brand new gold plated" splitters or cable with their own and the problems go away.

4. Jul 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    In the back of your Direct TV box....is there a wire and another smaller box? You connect your COAX to that smaller box?

If yes..... Check the connections to that little box. And wiggle it around a bit to see if you get signal.

We had issues with connections into that little box. Nothing was lose, but we wiggled it enough to get signal and just never touched the damn thing since. I'm not really sure what that box does......... but we've learned to not 'disturb' it. LOL it's been fine (that was a while ago).

5. Jul 13, 2014 at 4:31 AM
    charlie g

charlie g Guest

that box is the internet connection box.

6. Jul 13, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    If you have more than 2 splitters you will loose signal. If your going to have mutiple rooms with TVs you need a booster from which all the other coax cables come from. Another words, each coax cable that goes to a different room will all come from the same booster. It plugs into an outlet and has an input from the dish. Then it has multiple outputs for all your different rooms. Here is a pic.

AD3C1A24-9170-479B-92B9-8AC8A629265D_zps_33ed7b4a50f02beac88a535b457c51c0478302a3.jpg

The 8 male ends on the face are the outputs to TVs. The bottom left is the input from the dish. The bottom right is the power source. It's a coax that transitions to a wall plug.

7. Jul 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 [OP] It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    That might be the solution Moondeath. Where did you obtain the booster, how much? Looks simple enough to install.

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    The booster was just sitting in the basement when I bought the house. I put it up after getting direct tv. I'm sure you could find one on Amazon or at radioshack. Not sure what they go for.

Products Discussed in

To Top