1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What iPad To Buy?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SCRunner12, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 [OP] Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    I'm currently looking into an iPad or tablet in general for our family and daughter. My daughter is turning 4 and it would be really nice to have tablet for her to use on trips, in the car and general use around the house (cooking, working on the car, ect.). I'm having a hard time deciding between the Mini and standard iPad. I like the size of the mini's because she can handle it better, easier to move around and cheaper price, but I also like the larger screen for movies, shows and general typing.

Any of you have young kids and iPads that have any suggestions?

2. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    VonElling

VonElling Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    I've got the full sized iPad right now and have been eyeballing the mini. The full sized is too big to be convenient when carrying it around for working on the truck or in the car in my opinion. You can find cheap mini (non-retina) used for 180-200. I'd pick that up for now and consider a full sized if it leaves you wanting.

3. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm the opposite. I have a standard w/ retina and have no reason or desire to go to a Mini. To me, it's just a large cell phone. I would rather have a significant screen size difference.

4. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Really comes down to what's acceptable to you/others for screen size. I have a full size iPad, and would not give up any screen size, but then again, my eyes don't like the mini and portrait orientation when reading anything. And for movies/video, I wouldn't do the mini.

Now, my wife has the Mini and would not do the full size....

Very hard decision to nail down. Keep in mind if you want to do any typing, as the mini has a smaller virtual keyboard. There are also lots of options for keyboards and cases depending on your use.

BTW, do not underestimate the memory required, especially if you are going to download videos. iPads have no ability to upgrade memory, so once you buy it, that's it. 32Gb is enough for some music and a couple of videos, I would think if you are going to use it for kids entertainment, I would want at least 64Gb.

5. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    My son who's 6 has a the iPad mini with retina display also and he loves it. I actually like the smaller size too. We bought it with the Otter Box on it for protection and it's held up great, cause you know they are going to drop it at some time. It's a perfect size for him. The 4G LTE is nice too so he can get a new game or watch the disney app on it when we're not near any wifi.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Not to make it more complicated, since it seems that there is a little bit more support for the mini, but I have the full size and would not trade it for the mini. I have an iphone if I want something small, and when I want to actually work on it or I (or the kids) want to watch a movie, the bigger screen is much nicer to have.

All personal preference.

7. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Agree on the maximum memory. Mine is not big enough and there is no way to upgrade or add USB or SD card like some of the other tablets.

8. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    VonElling

VonElling Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill AFB Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    I would honestly wait a bit. The next gen iPad will be coming out soon.

Google iPad Pro

9. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    OP, just looking back over your starting post. Ummmm, I would not expect a single iPad to be a general use family device. Maybe y'awl are "different", but I have yet to see an i* device that wasn't someone's and someone's only :eek::eek::eek:

It may very well start that way, but quickly turns into "mine", and if someone else wants access, you end up buying more of 'em.

Good luck though!

10. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    True ^^^

Also, to complicate things even more, I will not buy an iPad again. I would rather do the Microsoft Surface. I am trying to find a use for the iPad, rather than just internet (TW) and e-mails, and can not get anything useful app-wise. The Surface comes with Microsoft Office which is what I use for 90% of my work files. I have tried all the iPad spreadsheets and nothing is really compatible with Microsoft.
    This might not matter if the tablet is just for your child to play with, but if you are thinking of using it as an extension of your computer, consider this.

11. Sep 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    SCRunner12

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    Thank you guys for the help! I've been racking my brain and looking into all of the details and trying to get my hands on both. Unfortunately the mini only goes up to 32gb, so that is something to think about. We have a Kindle Fire which is ok, but very limited and no memory (8gb). I think the Mini will be the best for now since it will be best for my daughter and easy for transportation. If I feel I need a full size, I will just get a cheap 1st or 2nd gen that I can mess around with. It will be just an extra device to have around and I don't need it for more than casual use.

Haha, well we only have one laptop at my house now and we all share it. It's a pain at times, but I think having an iPad around will solve some of the issues. We'll see though... :D

12. Sep 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    If you do buy used, or aftermarket, I would recommend getting at least one with the Retina display (makes a difference that I can see) and, as stated earlier, as much memory as you can throw $$$ at. Don't forget the cutoff between the old charge/sync ports and the newer Lightning ports. You don't want to invest in chargers/sync devices more than once if you can.

13. Sep 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    SCRunner12

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
  14. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    It's only 16 gb. Also, make sure between the wifi and 3g. Wifi is free while 3g might have a monthly contract that will cost you a lot over time if you dont need it. It seems like this one on Craigs list has an At&T contract.

15. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Samsung FTW :)

Retina display is a must on iPads. I have every flavor of iPad at work and I always end up reaching for the Mini with Retina. Feels the best in the my hands and the display is nice. Not too heavy like the 10 inch version is.

16. Sep 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I've had a couple of the full size iPads over the years but this time I thought I would try a mini with retina and I am so glad I did. The size is perfect for being able to take it any where with you. Also you are able to get more memory than 32gb in the mini. My mini retina is 64gb that I am typing this on.

17. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have an iPad Mini Wifi, which I only bought for the sole purpose of Kindle app, but I do browse with it sometimes if I have it, wifi, and no laptop since the screen is larger than my Galaxy S4.

It's the perfect size for what I want, the fullsize iPad is too fucking unwieldy. To me it was the first idea, and the Mini was the first idea made better (the iPad S if you will).

For not a lot more money than a regular Kindle reader I got internet, music, etc,. Best for me, and the battery lasts for a month between charges.

Products Discussed in

To Top