1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Friday computer deals?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Front sight, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Nov 26, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    Front sight

Front sight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Hey guys,
    Sorry it's kind of last minute but I'm looking to get a laptop. I'll be using it for school and web browsing. I can live with out touch screen. My price range is $750 tops. I've seen lots of laptops on sale but I'm not savvy enough to know which is the "best deal" for that price range. I've checked Walmart, Best buy, Costco, and Lenovo and now I'm even more confused. Thanks for the help :).

2. Nov 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    We have always had good luck with dell laptops. You can get a pretty good dell for about $500.00 I don't know about the box stores cause I have always bought from dell.

3. Nov 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Processor: Avoid the lowest end stuff. Anything with a celeron or sempron name on it is going to be a bottneck no matter what you're doing. Any Pentium, Core series (i3, i5, i7) or AMD A-series are pretty good bets for what you'd be doing.

Memory: Do not go with less than 4 GB. 6 or 8 will give you some headroom if you tend to run a lot at once.

Disk: Depends on what you need to store. If you're not storing an absurd amount of music, movies, etc., I would look for a solid state drive. They are dramatically faster, have no moving parts, and produce less heat. They get expensive in large sizes, though, so if you're storing a lot on the laptop itself they are probably not a great option.

Screen is totally your preference. I prefer 14-15" screens and think 17" laptops defeat the purpose of having a laptop--but to each their own.

Brand matters a little more for a laptop than a desktop IMO. Lenovos are extremely solid machines...we buy them by the hundreds for work and I almost never have a hardware issue with them. Can't say the same about others we have had. Look at their ThinkPad line--they are built better than the average consumer laptop. In case you didn't know, Lenovo is the company that bought out IBM's PC division and IBM's ThinkPad was always the gold standard for a tough Windows-based laptop.

Our worst laptops are probably HPs. The older ones we had were pretty solid, but the newer ones have had lots of quirks, the least convenient of which being board failures. We haven't bought Dell laptops in years. The old ones were generally reliable (D600s/D610s) but I have no experience with the newer ones.

I even bought a Lenovo ThinkPad for home. It's a fairly low end one (E545), but I got it for a great price and put a 250 GB Samsung SSD and 8 GB of RAM into it and it does anything I need it to do.

4. Nov 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    No luck with Dell. Lenovo for the win

5. Nov 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    HP Envy is a fantastic choice. Check Costco pricing.

6. Nov 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    Personally my favorite laptop used has been a toshiba. I never had any issues with it until it got dropped during a windows update. Which i installed linux on and its still kicking.

Hp ive always had issues with.

Dell i use for work, seems to do ok but slows down quite a bit.

7. Nov 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    Front sight

Front sight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    js312... Thanks for the advice but my budget hates you... I checked out the Lenovo site and sure enough found something I liked. :)
    I went with the Yoga Pro 2 13.3 with the I7, 8gig, and the 256ssd. A little more then I wanted to spend but, it seems like a nice laptop that won't be useless in one year. Thanks again :cheers:

8. Nov 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Something that high end will definitely be more future proof. Should be lightning quick too. Enjoy it!

Products Discussed in

To Top