1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ipod Nano damage

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rpoint16, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    I bought a 4th generation Ipod Nano 9 months ago from APPLE & had it personalized. Very cool, nice features, loved it. It stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I called up apple for the one-year warranty. They said that it was past the 6 month date so I would have to pay a $32.00 shipping fee, or I could purchase the 2 year ext warranty for $39.95, that would cover free shipping for 2 years. I did the two-year, no big deal.

They emailed me back with the results saying the Nano was intentionally damaged not covered by warranty I called them & spoke to 3 different people, service & techs, for a total of 90 minutes.

First of all, the people I talked to were ALL very professional & ALL spoke English!

They said the reason it died was that the headphone jack had been damaged. There is a white indicator inside the jack so if something was inserted that was too long or not correct type, the indicator would break. In ours, there was a big hole in the indicator & it was corrosive.

I only used the Nano maybe once a week. I double-checked ALL of my headphones & adapters I used, and they were all the same type & length (3.5mm RCA male) as my apple headphones. All spot-on. My wife & I are the only ones that used it, & we take care of our stuff. I swear on a stack, there is no way the damage came from us. One of the techs mentioned that maybe there was an object or something on the end of a jack that was inadvertently inserted. If that was the case, it would still be lodged in the Nano. I asked them for specific tolerences, they did not know.

I have different options to purchased a “refurbished replacement” one at a discount price. Just not sure. If I screwed up & dropped it, got it wet, or knowing how it was damaged, no big deal. They are awesome! I know APPLE makes a good product, even though iTunes sucks!

I am dumfounded, perplexed & quite vexed at this time.

tid235382_124147296220090504_143554_2d9b6841b455e68d1cfef0547002ca6328d3c193.jpg

2. May 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Man, Dennis.....I dont know what to say, other than to call and talk to a manager, or someone in charge.....

3. May 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Seems like a design flaw to me. Why would they put something at the bottom of the jack that you can poke a hole through?? Why not make it strong so that, if someone accidentally puts something in there that's too long, it will stop it from damaging the iPod.

4. May 9, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    im going through the exact same thing with my 4th gen nano. i originally sent them a broken ipod nano which they replaced under warranty. they sent a new one and that one only worked for a week. so i sent it back and they are not replacing due to the same problem:mad:

5. May 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    [eric]

[eric] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD OFF Road
    i have been using ipods for a long time. great products, no real complaints, but i did have to replace my ipod about every 1.5 years. i use my ipods hard in conditions most people are not in. the device performs better then i ever expected.

however, i decided to try another brand just to see how it compares. I ended up with a zune. right away it felt cheaper and i was having doubts.
    the zune ended up winning me over and i strongly feel it is made of better parts. the battery overall last longer and is really noticable in the extreme cold. the battery also wears better after some use compared to ipod. ipods hard drives start to struggle a bit above 10,000 ft over sea level and gets worse the higher up you go. it makes loud clicking and grinding noises and the overall device slows down a lot. i have experienced this on all my hard drive based ipods. many electronics are not designed for that altitude so i was not surprised, but after prolong exposure to elevation the symptons starting happening at all altitudes. the zune does not show this at all. my first zune fell out of my pocket around the end of december. i was building a half-pipe out of snow in the front yard and the zune was buried somewhere in it. it was about 9 feet high of packed snow. i found it 4 months later in the yard soaking wet. when it dried, i plugged it in and it still worked.

6. May 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    Russ

Russ Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab 4x4
    I had some problems with my 2nd Gen Ipod, but Apple Fixed it and it has worked ever since, no problems. Now I have 2 Ipods (a shuffle for runing and working out) and i have put both of them in the Washer & Dryer on accident, and am proud to say they boths still work.

eric, I am impressed with your Zunes durability but next time instead of waiting for it to dry... throw it in the dryer and really test it ;) (just kidding of course)

Products Discussed in

To Top