1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mac users

Discussion in 'Technology' started by nd, May 20, 2009.

1. May 20, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......

OH!! I did not know that!

I havent touched a Mac in years.... I got spooked out by macs somewhere along the way. Maybe I am missing out... :(

I will have to make it a point to check one out next time I see um...

2. May 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    You are definately missing out. Get to a Best Buy or Apple Store and take a look.

3. May 20, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    x2.

I love using iTunes for music, but I can't stand the way it handles other media. I am an old WMP advocate, but now I only use iTunes.

Glad to see someone else found that the grass is greener on the other side.

4. May 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    the computers i'm talking about are old IBM's and a Dell. of course this is with XP, i dont know how well Vista works out of the box

thats what i thought, but you can right click. in fact, the touch pad on the mac is way better than anything i've used on a pc

yup

5. May 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    the new macs have a touch pad that is kind of like the blackberry storm. its one large pad with no button, but the bottom 1/4 of the pad will "click" with pressure, just like the storm. if you press teh bottom left part of the pad down (where the right click button would be) it will function as a right click. plus, you can set it up so when you put 2 fingers on the pad it will right click. plus you can use the pad to zoom, or rotate pictures or scroll back through applications. its really slick. i thought it was gonna be a problem until i actually used it. now i love it

yeah, i miss wmp. i wish someone would adapt 10 or 11 for the mac. i NEED it!

6. May 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    techgeekwill

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    If it's that important to you, install VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop and run a Windows 7/XP virtual machine. In "Unity Mode" you can basically use WMP as a regular app.

For all those bitching about the mouse, you can always use a generic 2 button mouse. As far as "Maximizing" the window, well, thats another story.

7. May 20, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I am with you nd, I bought my wife a new macbook over christmas and it is the greatest computer ever. The battery life is incredible as well.

And your right when you take it out of the box it works. There was also not one piece of advertising on it for aol, msn, and all that crap that is on a pc.

The only problem we have found is sometimes it is a little tricky to install printers and what not. Most of those products are built for windows so the MAC software can be a little buggy.

If you are doing lots of graphics work and photos and what not, the mac is far superior IMO>

8. May 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    :woot: Another Mac buyer :cheers: ..... Going from a PC to a Mac is like trading in your Fiat for a Tacoma! :yay:

9. May 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Flip for mac works with quicktime, which is totally separate from iTunes. Quite honestly I have had no problem with iTunes and movies, I rip dvds all the time and play them in iTunes.

But whatever your PC can do my Mac can do better!

10. May 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    techgeekwill

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    This is my only problem. It's a little difficult to find equipment to work with Mac sometimes, but i have noticed that it's getting a lot better.

The only other problem I have is no native NTFS Write support. However I use MacFuse and NTFS-3G and it works fine. If you have a large external HD or other partitions, it's a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world. I would never use FAT32 for anything critical or larger than 2GB. I dual boot Windows XP and OSX on a Dell D630, so I have some experience making it work on hardware it otherwise shouldn't.

11. May 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    This is my only problem. It's a little difficult to find equipment to work with Mac sometimes, but i have noticed that it's getting a lot better.

You know I have learned that when you get hardware that has an install disc, to scrap it and go straight to the hardware company website and install the mac version. It always seems to give you the latest drivers and software.

12. May 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    [​IMG]

i have a mac also :] just wish i got the one with a bigger harddrive

13. May 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    techgeekwill

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    This is rule #1 for any piece of HW. When I was a lowly tech, I used to love when people would bring me every single CD in they're collection for every piece of hardware they have every owned just so I can get a scanner installed. Most companies don't even send a Mac Driver anyway.

14. May 20, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    AzPrerunner05

AzPrerunner05 Desert Rat

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2005 V-6 SR5 PreRunner Debadged
    De Badged, Flowmaster 50 Muffler & Dual Out Exhaust. K & N High Flow Filter. SP Racing Slotted Rotors
    I have a mac book pro. 2nd version with intel and I use this so I know you should be able to.

It's not as much of a "workhorse" as media player, then again, I've yet to find a mac product that really is.
    They make a whole bunch of niche products still

15. May 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    I currently use Windows xp X64, i need to use the 64bit because I manage large scenes in 3dsmax, but believe me, its a pain in the ass to find drivers sometimes, for example i have this HP wide format printer, Hp wont develop a driver for xp x64, its part of the business relations, so you have to go and buy Vista x64, fucking sucks, they wont develop any more drivers for xp x64, even though its a much stable OS and without a lot of bugs XP has, bottom line Microsoft is a greedy company, they are just for the bucks.... Ive even heard that running xp or vista in mac thorugh bootcamp its better than on a pc... so go figure...

16. May 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    AzPrerunner05

AzPrerunner05 Desert Rat

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2005 V-6 SR5 PreRunner Debadged
    De Badged, Flowmaster 50 Muffler & Dual Out Exhaust. K & N High Flow Filter. SP Racing Slotted Rotors
    Yeah... didn't even think of bootcamp.

Your book should be powerful enough to mount boot camp and run without any problems. It's a windows emulator for mac so you should be able to run whatever version of windows media you like.

And for 64bit vista, I agree. It's horrible and so so so heavy. Not only that but I've noticed alot of Vista drivers are for the 32 bit.
    My Roland Sp555 won't run on the PC i've got.

Luckily I have a mac!
    :cool:

p.s. Mac's don't need a right click.
    It's called ctrl+click, same thing. That or the cool new macs right click when you put two fingers on the trackpad and then click. so so cool. so cool.

17. May 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    That whole right click crap is old and dumb now, first Apple came out with the mighty mouse with a right button, and the new generation of laptops have a hidden right click spot on them (you just need to active it in your system pref.)

Personally I hate right click on a trackpad, but love it on a mouse.

18. May 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You know what they say with windows, it is never the machine's fault, it is always the user's fault.

lol at right click on apple.

19. May 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    MACnificent!!

20. May 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    SuperWhiteDC09

SuperWhiteDC09 Active Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Double Cab SuperWhite SR5
    Extang Tonno III, Toyota Tow Package, Reese receiver lock, and hopefully lots more soon.
    Basic quicktime blows but if you spend the 30 dollars or whatever for quicktime pro and get the plug ins you require for your type of media it really is a slick program. Remember anything worthwhile takes a little work. Once you get used to it you will like it.

Products Discussed in

To Top