1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got a macbook pro... help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by THXEY, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i just got a macbook pro and i was wondering what are some of the handy useful key codes?

like the one to take pictures of the screen

or like negative colors

thanks!

2. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    Just got a mac book pro too yesterday. Im wonderin the same thing.

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    Jace

Jace Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport
    Welcome to the Mac Community!

Here is what you are looking for Keyboard Shortcuts.

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    Shift+command+3 - screen shot
    Shift+command+4 - selectable screen shot

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    sweet thats really helpful thanks!!!

6. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    vwguy60

vwguy60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, TC ucas, TRD CAI, powder coated OEM tube steps, powder coated TRD skid plate.
    Shift+command+4+spacebar - window selectable screen shot

Cmd+z - Undo (I use this alot!)

Cmd+q - Quit program

Cmd+esc - Frontrow

The typical Cmd+x (cut) or +c (copy) or +v (paste)

7. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    Dilsky

Dilsky There go my nipples again!

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    2.5" Fox Extendable Coilovers, LR UCAs, Agri-Cover Larado soft top, Pop'n Lock, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, 20" Incubus Offroad rims
    A little off topic, but i didn't want to start a new thread.....well because i am lazy tahts why.

My compustar just broke down and I was looking into getting a mac laptop since I will be going back to school this fall. Is there a huge difference between a regular macbook and the pro if I am not a heavy user?

8. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    Jace

Jace Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport
    Dilsky,

There is not hug difference at all, see this chart for details.

The main differences between the MacBook and the low end 13 inch
    MacBook Pro are the cosmetic differences, white vs. aluminum and black,
    a backlit keyboard and a different chipset allowing more expandability
    for RAM and a bump to the processor speed.

If you don't need those options, the MacBook is a solid performer.
    Go to a local store and check them out for yourself, best advice to give.:)

However, the backlit keyboard is a wonderful feature. Good luck and post
    back if you have questions.

Jace

9. Jul 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Also very helpful

Cmd+Option+esc Force quit

10. Jul 10, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Welcome to the Mac Family! :D

11. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    A couple of good app suggestions (a list co-workers have compiled for mac newbies here at work)...

Parallels - I installed Vista in a Bootcamp partition and Parallels allows me to run the same instance inside of OSX. The feature that made me convert from VMWare Fusion was the fact that it does cross-platform file association - I can double click on a .mpp file on my OSX desktop and it'll bring it up in Microsoft Project for Windows in Confluence mode (Windows is running in the background completely hidden - the application runs seamlessly next to all other OSX apps).

Toast - CD/DVD burning software.

Adium - Multi-protocol chat client. Adium just rocks.

BBEdit - HTML editor. I do a lot of PHP coding and this fit the bill perfectly.

Carbon Copy Cloner - SuperDuper (a competing product) is not yet available for Leopard, so I just downloaded this to clone my drive over to a 7200rpm drive I got my hands on. I admit I have not tried it yet, but it should copy my OSX install and my Bootcamp partition just fine (it does a bit-level copy).

Cisco VPN Client - I need to VPN into work, don't I? I can connect even faster than I can in Windows with a small helper application called Shimo.

Handbrake - 'Rip' a DVD into DivX.

VLC - Media player that plays all popular formats & codecs.

Firefox - Many suggested Camino, but information I found online suggested that Firefox's preferences were not 100% compatible with those of Camino. I was running Firefox on Windows - I copied the contents of my profile folder over and everything just worked - all of my bookmarks, extensions, saved passwords, etc.

Thunderbird - Another app I was running in Windows. I tried out Mail.app, which is built into OSX, but it is incompatible with my mail server's IMAP capabilities. I read suggestions that OSX 10.5.2 may fix this when it's released in the next few days. Just like Firefox, I copied the contents of my profile folder over and everything worked great.

iCal - Built in calendar app. My only complaint is that the notifications are a bit weak. I'd prefer a sticky Growl notification. (There is a script that does just that, but it is not currently available for Leopard)

Spanning Sync - This application syncs iCal with Google Calendars beautifully.

Expose - It's pretty; however, I don't think it's as efficient as the Windows Taskbar at switching apps. Regardless, it's an essential app if to do nothing else but show off.

Miro - Video downloading and viewing application. I use this to download Diggnation.

Little Snitch - Great app to control the firewall. Lets you know when an app is trying to contact the outside world and allows you to deny it access.

NetNewsWire - RSS reader so I can read blogs such as Lifehacker, Engadget, and Jalopnik.

Remote Desktop Connection - Microsoft app to remotely control Windows machines.

Pathfinder - I just found this one today and I'm very glad I did! It's a replacement for OSX's 'Finder' app (similar to Windows' Explorer). Finally, I can have folders listed at the top of folder trees, use the return key to open an app/folder instead of rename it, and have a keyboard shortcut to copy the curent path!

The Unarchiver - Unarchives RAR and all the other popular formats. Why can't this also be the Archiver?

USB Overdrive - When I first attached a USB mouse, I had a hard time clicking on any small text. This app lets you manually set the mouse speed and acceleration curve (I prefer 180dpi & 125% acceleration).

Fan Control - My machine was running very hot. This app kicked up the fan speed to keep my pants from melting.

Slingplayer - The slingbox is the best $100 you can spend if you travel on business and have a lot of season passes on your Tivo! Luckily, Sling Media makes this client for OSX, too.

Transmit - Incredible FTP client.

Last, but not least, Quicksilver. The most powerful 'launcher' for any operating system. I can perform most tasks (connecting to an ftp site, launching my browser and going to one of my bookmarks, etc) in only a few keystrokes.

12. Jul 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i just recently got a new macbook. i'm still getting use to it but so far i love it! i assume you have the huge track pad with no visible buttons? thats what i have and i love all the different stuff you can do on it. my only complaint is the media player. itunes/quicktime is the worst media player in computer history

13. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Dilsky

Dilsky There go my nipples again!

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    2.5" Fox Extendable Coilovers, LR UCAs, Agri-Cover Larado soft top, Pop'n Lock, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, 20" Incubus Offroad rims
    Well I sucked it up and went out and bought one. A nice little 13" for educational purposes ony of course :)

14. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    mess around, one finger on the pad is click, 2 finger click is a right click for window or scroll up and down. 3 left and right is back or foward on safari, 4 is like alt+tab. i recommend setting up spaces also because its like working on different windows. thats command + keypad. when you are in mulitple windows, press the button that looks like a rectangle with 3 smaller retarded rectangles inside of it. other than that, just mess with it for a couple of days and you will get the hang of it, i think its easier to use than a pc.. even though i use both.

15. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    06Bluez

06Bluez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Icon Coil-overs, TC UCA, with Bilstein 5150 and Icon 3 leaf pack. 17" Moto Metal 951 4.5" Backspacing wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Demello front bumper and Avid offroad sliders.
    I love my new Macbook!!

16. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    scribed for a later view.