1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

network help needed

Discussion in 'Technology' started by RCBS, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    RCBS

RCBS [OP] How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    anyone good at setting up networks?

i need help with my PS3 & router. i have done much research, but all of it has me a bit confused. do i want to put my PS3 in a DMZ or use port forwarding...or both? static IP needed for DMZ connection? i have all the information i need as far as port #'s IP addys, etc., i just think i may be plugging them in wrong. i'm running a linksys wrt54g2 router.

looking for some comprehensive help, i.e. step by step. if you are able to...please help as this is kiling me from the inside :(

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    you don't need to setup a dmz for your ps3, nor manually forward ports with the wrt54g2...it should work out of the box with that setup afaik. i'm basing my info on a quick google of "ps3 wrt54g2". also no need for static ips...just let the wrt54g2 assign it one automatically (via dhcp).

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    it will work with the "auto" setup...but not very well. the Playstation Network doesn't seem to like the configuration and does not work properly. i get booted off after a couple games and sometimes cannot login to their network at all. after reseaching...this seems to be a fairly common problem...not just with my particular router either...others have the same issues as well. most will cite the provider's firewall as being the culpret. from what i understand, putting the PS3 into DMZ lets it operate "outside" the firewall, while my PC is still protected. i don't mind the PS3 being outside the wall, as there is no damaging data stored on it. i'm sure i'm only missing some minor detail...but cannot figure out which.

i have tried to reset my router to "factory defaults" by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds and it appears to reboot. then i do the auto setup/config. on the PS3 and it will operate fine for a few minutes, then start acting up (booting, not being able to log in). i have the latest firmware on the router also. i figure i could go to a wired setup and get rid of the issues...but i hate giving up.

i have read & read & read...and most recommend a DMZ setup to correct. something about assigning a static IP to the Playstation?

i also made an attempt to use port forwarding, which was also recommended but failed...i'm sure i made an error setting it up, but don't know where.

this is just frustrating me to hell & back. i'm new to WiFi stuff...just got the router this past winter, and it's my first experience with a wireless network. there's just too many damn variables that have to be correct for everything to work as it should.

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    The easiest thing to do would be to manually set the IP on your PS3 to one that's outside of the range that your router will assign, but still a valid address for the subnet. Then put that IP for the PS3 in the DMZ.

5. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    That being said, I always prefer a wired connection for gaming, because wireless will always add latency (lag) to your connection.

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    how can i tell if it's outside the range...i remember seeing something about max DCHP users...i think 50. so something like ---.---.-.51? the assigning of different IP's may be my problem, as it will work sometimes until my PC or router is turned off, then when back on assigns a different IP to the PS3 causing connection issues...i think.

i've always tended to think this way also, but it's just not convenient. my PC is kindof far away from my PS3. plus i have it in my mind that i must conquer this problem. i have also read the contrary...that WiFi is actually faster than cables. i had it going good at one point last night...never had that kindof speed before...noticable at sign in time and very noticable on the game itself...i was kicking ass...for like 10 mins....then booted.

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Not exactly, there is a setting for what range of IP addresses the router will assign. On my router, I modified the range it assigns to start at *.*.*.120 and then manual assign IPs between 100-120 to my servers. You can manually assign IP addresses in the settings for your network card on your PC/PS3 or set static IPs on your router. I usually do both for redundancy.

8. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Then you'll just need to make whatever IP you assign to the PS3 the DMZ

9. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    firstly...thanks for trying to help!

ok...so when you refer to the network card...this would be in my internet connections page on windows XP? there are two connections listed...one, i know is my PC, is the other my router or PS3? do i assign a static there for my PC, or for the PS3? both? my routers default IP is 192.168.1.1...should my PC's be 192.168.1.2? then the playstation at 192.168.1.3? does the PC need to be higher than the starting IP?, or because it is plugged in to the router, will it start anyways? i wish i had all my info so i could run it down for you, but i'm at work at till 5.

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    How have you connected your PC to your router? USB or network cable?

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Okay, looking at your router model I see that USB is not an option. I'm going to take some screen shots of what you need to do. I'm gonna include all the steps, not as an insult to your intelligence, but just to make sure we don't miss anything.

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    in this realm i will admit that i am a supernoob lol screenshots would be MOST excellent and mucho appreciated!

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Open the Control Panel and select "Network Connections"

[​IMG]

Right Click "Local Area Connection" And Select "Status"

[​IMG]

Select the "Support" tab

[​IMG]
    (I've blacked out my IP address to keep the honest folks honest)

Look at the IP address for "Default Gateway". To configure your router, you'll need to enter that IP address into a web browser. A window will come up asking you for a username and password. For most Linksys routers the default username is blank and the password is "admin". Once you're in, we'll go from there.

14. Sep 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    well, i don't want to celebrate just yet...but i think i finally got this thing under control. :) PS3 is now in a DMZ. worked just fine last night whilst gaming, came back this am, signed into PSN, browser is working...dare i say it...i think it's fixed. time will tell though. i've thought i had it whooped a couple times now...only to find the contrary.

a very big thanks to drew for helping out a fellow TW member!

i do have one other technology question...how do i make a screenshot? :eek: this may help me in the future if i can show how my stuff is set up to the people gracious enough to help me.

15. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    Push the "Prnt Scrn" button, open a graphics program (e.g. Gimp) and the simply hit CTRL-V to paste, now edit away :)

16. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah Control + PrintScreen will copy the entire screen image to the clip board. Alt + Print Screen will copy only the crrent window to the clip board. Then it's just a mattter of pasting it in an image editing program.

Products Discussed in

To Top