1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SSD = Wow!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PreRunnerSeth, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    So, I just wanted to share my experience with my new SSD. I have a Dell latitude D830 with a core 2 duo T7250 with 3gigs of ram. It came with a 160gb 5400rpm drive. This thing was obnoxiously slow. Especially on boot up. It took probably 3minutes. I had cleared out a lot of start up apps and such. I use it for work. Run a bit of electronics engineering apps like Aries, Orcad, LTSpice. Well I was finally sick of it being so slow. So I installed a SSD. I bought the Kingston SSDNow V+ series at 128gb rated 220mb/s read and 180mb/s write. P/N SNV220-S2/128GB. Windows XP pro installed flawlessly. The drive formatted in about 1min. After reinstalling all my apps I optimized my machine for SSD by following this guide. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43460
    After all said and done my machine now boots in 20seconds flat from power button press. Everything loads very fast. Over all I am very impressed and satisfied with the results. If you have the means I highly suggest this upgrade.

Anyone else running a SSD?

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya... solid state drives are freaking awesome.

i think the cost per GB is still pretty high for a mainstream drive, but if you can afford it, it kicks ass.

can i ask how much you paid for yours?

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Do you have the same image on your SSD as you did on your 5400RPM drive?

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    I paid $350. The older tech SSDs can be had for less money at 128gb but they are rated at half the speed.

Its not identical. I did a fresh install. So I'm sure over time it will slow down some. But, still pretty impressive

5. Sep 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Dude....my iMac with no mods boots up in like 15 seconds. This was frankly one of the big selling points with me as PC's just take freaking forever to boot up!

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thats cool. Just not a fan of Macs. Please don't turn this into a mac vs PC debate.

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Why would I do that?

8. Sep 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    My Mac starts up in 17 seconds flat. :cool: But SSD's are awesome!~

9. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Be careful Colton buddy.....this is a PC thread.....:D

Let us bow our heads.....

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    It's not a PC thread its a SSD thread. If you have experience to add where you added a SSD to your mac and saw an improvement I'd love to hear about it. but to jump into it and say "my mac is faster" is trying to turn it into a pc vs mac thread. Something i really dont care about. Macs and PCs have their place and each has virtues over the other depending on what you want to do with them.

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I stand corrected....SSD......let's discuss SSD. Sorry.

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    TruckinNetworkDoc

TruckinNetworkDoc Active Member

Member:
    San Ramon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica 09 Access Cab
    Undercover Tonneau cover
    One thing to note, if you or your company uses or requires Full Disk Encryption with or without Pre-Boot Authentication (FDE-PBA) then using one of these SSD's will severely slow it down on a magnitude of taking the drive down to about a 7.2K if lucky, or normally 5.4K. Just my experience with them recently, I really have no idea why it this happens either. I'm sure as they mature, this will improve.

13. Sep 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i'd consider getting one if they lasted longer- they don't quite have the longevity of HDDs yet

Products Discussed in

To Top