1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

i still love mac more

Discussion in 'Technology' started by THXEY, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I disagree with the nothing works on a mac. I do everything on my mac that I did on my PC. And I mean EVERYTHING! But I do agree with you that macs are overpriced. But I like the fact that I can still get 1000$ for my 15 mac thats almost 2 years old.

I restored my HP tower 3 times before I just gave up and bought a mac. I literally have not had ANY problems other than my graphics card going out and Apple replaced it for free. And the only other issue I'm having, is my battery is almost dead and can barely hold a charge, but its been used everyday for almost 2 years without being plugged in all the time, so thats my fault.

Also, I LOVE the fact that I can run windows Vista, Windows 7, and Snow Leopard at the SAME time without any noticeable lag. I love parallels desktop. It's incredibly convenient. I could run Linux too, but I don't know the OS at all.

2. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Man, thats awesome! You're so lucky! Damn, I want one...haha

3. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    You do realize all you are doing with your public mac fellatio is destroying them in the long run. I say that because the only reason they are "so secure" is that they make up only 10% of personal computers out there. Hackers have no reason to target such a small group.

Plus one just got hacked in ten seconds, so the future of mac security is not looking good

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Agreed on them holding their value. However, i use 3d CAD programs daily along with other programs used in FEA. Macs don't do that for me. Everyone i know is regretting their mac purchase so....like germ below me says...
    They will be no better than a pc when it comes to security in the next 5-10 years.

Remember when they said that it was impossible to unlock an iphone? and remember how a 17 year old kid was the first one to do it? Just saying, no GUI is perfect...

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

10 seconds is a deceptive claim- This competition happens every year...and the guy who "Cracked the Mac" in 10 seconds....spent 2 MONTHS WRITING AND REFINING the program that he ran in the competition to hack it in "10 seconds".

Give me physical access to nearly ANY windows machine...and I can get into it. Give me internet access and I can get into it eventually.

Any machine that is attached to ANY wire or wireless access (including power cords) is insecure....Sharing data (like the internet is meant for) CREATES security openings.

I am more than happy to pay more for my Macs that don't have many security issues in the personal use. I LOVE the stuff I can do with the photo editing software. And they are efficient easy to use (once you learn the system)- and they do look pretty cool.

I'm no Mac Fanboy- I'm a electrical engineering/computer science major with some industry experience with IT/Network Admin. They aren't perfect for all applications- but they are quickly working their way into all facets of computing...and I'll not be buying any more windows based machines. A copy of Win7 might find it's way to Bootcamp on my Mac Mini tho...

6. Oct 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i've always been a PC user and hated macs because they were expensive and i hate the "image" that comes with one. i feel like i should be in a coffee shop working on a novel. but i eventually got tired of my PC always crashing and fucking up. so i switched to mac and i will never go back. i'm still ashamed to admit to being a mac guy but i love it. no issues whatsoever. i still prefer media player 10 or 11 to quicktime for videos but other than that it is way better

as far as price goes, they are relatively the same price as a pc, the thing is, you cant really buy a "bare bones" mac. but if you compare a built up pc to one of the higher end macs the price is pretty close.

7. Oct 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i keep hearing "overpriced"

a bare bones pc laptop is what around $500 depending on the brand? the thing is, mac has nothing to compete with that cause they dont sell any low end laptops. my mac came with the backlit keyboard, camera, 4 gigs of ram, a 250 gig hd, a kick ass as hell graphics card and a few other random perks and with the 3 year protection plan it came in at roughly $1600. if you go get a sony, with all that (including the 3 year extended warranty) it will be roughly the same price. the problem with mac is that if i didn't want the backlit keyboard, too bad, i have no choice but to pay for it.

8. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    They are offering refunds to users who have issues.

9. Oct 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,00,0,0000,000,00,0,0,000

Products Discussed in

To Top