1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cannot Link PC and Xbox

Discussion in 'Technology' started by asphaltpilot, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot [OP] CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I cannot connect my PC (XP) to the Xbox360. I don't have a problem finding the initial steps on the 360. The problem is on the PC side.

When setting up the Media Center Extender (Media Center 2005), it:
    - Successfully passed the Installing software message
    - Successfully passed the settings messages
    - Successfully past the 8 digit setup key which matches that on the 360.
    - Proceeds with "Connecting to Media Center Extender" screen

The next part is where it fails, the Enable Fireway Ports message, which states, "A firewall has been detected: McAfee Personal Firewall. Setup cannot configure the necessary firewall settings or a network cannot be found."

I have ensured that the proper UDT and TCP ports are open and the proper programs have full access, as listed here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/setup/firewall/mcafee.mspx

I cannot get the extender setup past this firewall message, even if I disable the firewall all together. My Windows Media Player version is 11.0.5 and if I go into Configure Sharing > Media Sharing, the Xbox360 already is listed with a green check (allow access).

My PC is hard-wired to my Netgear WGT624 router and the Xbox is fed wirelessly. I'm on XBL regularly and streaming videos from the marketplace for a few years now so there aren't any xbox connectivity problems with this network setup. My PC and the Xbox do have different IP addresses (the last digit). I can ping the PC address but not the xbox IP. I can ping the gateway that's listed on the Xbox network settings. I don't know if any of this is relevant or not.

What else can I do to get this working? Thanks.

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    I thought you had to mod your xbox to share content like that. I use a program called TVersity to stream media to my xbox360, but to navigate from xbox to PC im not sure.

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot [OP] CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Sharing the 360 and PC via Microsoft Media Center is a fairly common thing. It's just that it isn't working for me, regardless what I do.

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    check the settings of the router... some routers have the ability to allow wireless devices access to the internet but not the internal wired network. i'd run a cable to the router from the xbox and test again. i have had problems with earlier versions of windows talking to my xboxs but no problems with win7.

Products Discussed in

To Top