Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Technology

Notices

Cannot Link PC and Xbox

Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Cannot Link PC and Xbox

I cannot connect my PC (XP) to the Xbox360. I don't have a problem finding the initial steps on the 360. The problem is on the PC side.

When setting up the Media Center Extender (Media Center 2005), it:
- Successfully passed the Installing software message
- Successfully passed the settings messages
- Successfully past the 8 digit setup key which matches that on the 360.
- Proceeds with "Connecting to Media Center Extender" screen

The next part is where it fails, the Enable Fireway Ports message, which states, "A firewall has been detected: McAfee Personal Firewall. Setup cannot configure the necessary firewall settings or a network cannot be found."

I have ensured that the proper UDT and TCP ports are open and the proper programs have full access, as listed here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/setup/firewall/mcafee.mspx

I cannot get the extender setup past this firewall message, even if I disable the firewall all together. My Windows Media Player version is 11.0.5 and if I go into Configure Sharing > Media Sharing, the Xbox360 already is listed with a green check (allow access).

My PC is hard-wired to my Netgear WGT624 router and the Xbox is fed wirelessly. I'm on XBL regularly and streaming videos from the marketplace for a few years now so there aren't any xbox connectivity problems with this network setup. My PC and the Xbox do have different IP addresses (the last digit). I can ping the PC address but not the xbox IP. I can ping the gateway that's listed on the Xbox network settings. I don't know if any of this is relevant or not.

What else can I do to get this working? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
My
Jones'R is on a distinguished road
Jones'R's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you had to mod your xbox to share content like that. I use a program called TVersity to stream media to my xbox360, but to navigate from xbox to PC im not sure.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones'R View Post
I thought you had to mod your xbox to share content like that. I use a program called TVersity to stream media to my xbox360, but to navigate from xbox to PC im not sure.
Sharing the 360 and PC via Microsoft Media Center is a fairly common thing. It's just that it isn't working for me, regardless what I do.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
check the settings of the router... some routers have the ability to allow wireless devices access to the internet but not the internal wired network. i'd run a cable to the router from the xbox and test again. i have had problems with earlier versions of windows talking to my xboxs but no problems with win7.