1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blackberries

Discussion in 'Technology' started by nd, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Apr 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges
    Verizon
    I will be the first one to say that there customer service is past horrible to me it just seem like everyone in customer service does not care about losing a customer and that is what i am trying to improve know i just took a postion in sales at the request of the district manager There network is pretty good and improving but they did put alot of time into the v-cast that will pay off sometime soon i hope so pretty much there biggest con is there customer service there pros the are a well established wireless company that has been consistant but as far as i know dont plan any major updates for a while other then the improving of v-cast as far as i know some time soon v-cast should be streaming with no download time it is supoose to be like having a tv in your phone no buffering but that is still being worked out .

att wireless
    a very good company that invest alot of money to try to be number one 3g is the shit as soon as it is complete and up and running like is should everyone will enjoy except the people with i-phones that is the biggest down fall to the i-phone but that just my 2 cents but pretty much 3g is the future dropped calles will be a thing of the past honestly if i had to choose i would probaly go with att the prices are alot better and coverage is getting better

2. Apr 4, 2008 at 8:42 AM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges

This is sooo very true i can't stand it either

3. Apr 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, the plan i'm looking at only has 450 minutes, but my work pays for me to carry a nextel phone. since they are paying for it i always use that phone when making calls but i usually have it turned off on weekends and after 6pm. I heard ATT was good and then got better after absorbing cingular. the only problem is that almost all of my friends have verizon, so whenever i do use my personal phone to talk to them i'll be using up minutes if i dont stick with verizon.

4. Apr 4, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the info. my problem with Verizon is the V-cast thing. who the hell uses that shit?!?! my sisters high school friends get ring tones off of it but thats it. to me it is the most pointless cellular feature ever. as far as prices go, the service plans cost the exact same down to the penny, at least where i live. the only difference is that ATT pretty much be giving me a phone and Verizon wants me to pay almost full price. way to treat a 5 year subscriber right? teh only reason i haven't taken ATT hook line and sinker is cause of my other friends all having Verizon. Text is unlimited to any provider so thats not a problem, but having to watch my minutes will suck. but i also have a work cell that i use alot when i have to make a call to anywhere. i hate trying to make all these stupid decisions... somebody do it for me

5. Apr 4, 2008 at 9:07 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I carried an AT&T phone (personal) and a Sprint Blackberry (work) for years. I finally got tired of it. I told my company that if they expect me to carry their phone then I have to be able to make personal calls on it - ALL THE TIME. They said, "yeah, you could have already been doing that - we don't care."

Turns out, my company gets a big flat-fee rate from Sprint on all PDA phones! :D

6. Apr 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    when i started my job i refused to give them my cell number. i told them the only way they would get a cell number from me is if they pay the bill. So i have a nice mil spec nextel phone that i love. no bells or whistles but solid as a rock. i still have my personal phone cause i can do more with it. but i have no restrictions on my work phone. i text and call on it all the time

7. Apr 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    So, why don't u just use that? :confused:

8. Apr 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have better US coverage with Verizon than I did with Cingular (wasn't joined with ATT then so I don't know how much better it is under ATT) or TMobile. Outside the US is pretty dismal with Verizon.

9. Apr 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    cause i need somthing to help with email and keeping things organized. I'm getting my real estate license in May so will need to have an easy way to do email and scheduling on the go. hence the blackberry. plus my work phone has no camera which i use alot. I will never let my work phone and personal phone "become one". i keep my GE life as far away from my personal life as possible. My work phone gets turned off when i'm not at work most of the time

10. Apr 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    ah - that makes sense...

11. May 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Ok so i changed my plan to Alltel the other day. i also got the new blackberry Curve (8330). i have no idea how to use this thing. its like trying to use a Mac for the first time after using a PC you're whole life. it is cool though. although it did take me 9 hours to figure out how to change ring tones. not kidding, it took me all day. its kind of counter intuitive after using a normal phone. somebody come give me a tutorial....

12. May 6, 2008 at 4:49 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
  13. May 7, 2008 at 6:18 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Good luck with all that man.

14. May 7, 2008 at 6:58 AM
    LL7

LL7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    You should have just gotten an iPhone. Then you could figure out the Mac thing at the same time. :) I looked at the blackberry offerings and hated them. I went with the iPhone. The big problem is the ATT data network. On WiFi it is great. On the edge network it blows. In a year or so when 3G is available in my area and on the iPhone it will be great.

15. May 7, 2008 at 7:00 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    the iphone doesn't currently support 3G. That is the main drawback keeping me from buying one.

16. May 7, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    there are alot of things keeping me from an iphone. there's no doubt that its cool as hell and is packed with ground breaking technology but its more of a toy than a tool. i have a friend with one and i love playing with it but i would never want to actually use it. he says the same thing, just a really pricey flashy toy

17. May 7, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    LL7

LL7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    It's way more than a toy. If web browsing as well as email is important to you the iPhone is really the only compelling choice. The upcoming availability of third party apps will further increase it's usefulness. The second version with 3G is rumored to be coming in June. If ATT has a 3G network in your area it will be almost a perfect solution. The iPhone will also get push email, like the blackberry, with the 2.0 software release. I predict that in a year many blackberry users will move to it.

18. May 7, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    death valley fan

death valley fan National Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD
    Be aware that with the Blackberry you have to get your email and internet account through them, which is anywhere from $50 to $75 a month. I was going with the pearl and then realized I could get a treo with windows and pay ATT $20 a month and have unlimited text, picture mail, email and internet. That is what sold me on the treo. This applies to all non-blackberry phones, as far as I know. I have the treo 750 and love it. Its like having a minature laptop in your pocket.

19. May 7, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    internet is not really that important. the blackberry works fine for most stuff. no youtube but i can check out most stuff. its not as pretty as the iphone but it works for me. so far no third party apps really work on it. i doubt many bb users will go over to it. most bb users are diehard and care more about functionality and reliability than the flashyness of the iphone.

I'm not sure what you mean about email and internet account through blackberry. i have to pay for a data plan but i use my gmail account for mail on the bb and alltel's 3G internet/data service. what do you mean you have to get all that through blackberry? i looked at the treo, its more attractive to me than the iphone but its microsoft based so that was enough to turn me off to it. i use a PC with windows but i still hate microsoft and dont want to be dependent on their technology

20. May 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I am writing this w my phone. Let's see if this works.... I think I'm figuring this thing out

Products Discussed in

To Top