1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Favorite TV Brand

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tarheelfan_08, May 17, 2010.

?

Favorite TV

Poll closed Feb 11, 2013.
  1. Plasma

20 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. LED

44 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. LCD

50 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. May 19, 2010 at 3:47 AM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    two completely different video processors and glass qualities.
    Samsung has excellent QA where vizio well its adequate.

2. May 19, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    This post is full of myths and is just plain wrong....how is a plasma supposed to leak? They dont burn in. And I guarantee you they are worth the true blacks they produce.

3. May 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    LCD I would love LED however still out of my price range.

4. May 19, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    A guy at best buy told me that a plasma tv can burn a image on the screen when left on to long...but rarely. So I plan on going w/a LCD with the highest refresh rate and 1080p still decideing what brand right now I am leaning toward a samsung.

5. May 19, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Somewhat true, but it's easily corrected with most displays nowadays.

6. May 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    After looking today, I really really like the picture and design of an lg

7. May 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    Do yourself a favor and do a little research on the refresh rates. You may save yourself $500.
    When the refresh rate is increased artificts may be introduced giving the appearance of cartoonish graphics.

8. May 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    My folks just bought a 50+ inch Led LCD...its this thick l-------------l :eek:

Its an LG

9. May 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    correct...that's why they are labeled LED-LCD most places. i've been researching all this myself lately due to needing a new TV in the man cave.

10. May 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM
    acmair

acmair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    If you have the money, I'd get a 46" Samsung LED. Those TVs are by far the best in the market. Their image quality is second to none in my opinion

11. May 20, 2010 at 2:26 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I sold electronics a few years ago, so here's a few things I noticed. This was about 3 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

I wouldn't mess around with a plasma. About 70% of the ones we got in had issues with either altitude or colder temps. In higher altitudes a fair number of them would start to emit a really annoying hum after a few months. That was an altitude thing. The ones that had cold issues wouldn't display a good picture unless the room was above about 75. That can be an issue if you want to mount them next to a window where you have a cold spot in the room.

If your going over 32" then definitely get a 1080p tv. 32" or under and there isn't really any point. You can't actually see the difference anyway.

For the LCD's it varies a lot by brand.

Hitachi, and Kodak, very poor quality control in screen manufacture. They had a tendency to get pixel outages that were just below the warranty threshold for replacement.

Phillips/Magnavox, poor video quality. They had larger then normal lines between pixels making the picture look fuzzy. Also the background electronics for the screens were fairly bad. They had a tendency to stop recognizing video input when the source was fine.

Sony: Beautiful picture, very customizable. IE: Lots of settings and inputs, usually a few outputs too. The background electronics tended to be a little temperamental. Not really a big deal, but with all the options I wouldn't really recommend them for techno illiterate. Pricy.

Samsung: Very good picture, rock solid background electronics. No pixel outage issues. Not as many options as the sony, but more then enough for 95% of people. There is a generic version of these but the name escapes me at the moment. The generics quality control wasn't as good, and they had moderately annoying background electronics. Not unreliable, but fairly counter intuitive to use. They still used a syntax panel though.

LG: Extremely good picture quality. Not quite as reliable as samsung in terms of either background electronics or pixel outages, but close. Usually good pricing too.

Vizio: Very good picture quality, very slightly better then the samsung. A lot fewer input options, not a lot of options in the background electronics. Solid quality though. Very low pixel outages, no background electronic problems. The prices are usually amazing good too. Because of there simplicity, reliability, and cost, probably what I would recommend for someone who isn't particularly technologically inclined.

EDIT: Forgot one
    ViewSonic: Extremely good picture quality. Unreliable background electronics. They have a tendency to get "stuck pixels". IE: small blocks of color on the screen that won't go away when you turn the tv on/off. You can get rid of these by unplugging the tv though. Horrible audio, pops snaps and click loudly when there isn't any sound. They also have a tendency to turn on the closed captioning when your are turning the volume down.

LED's weren't on the market really at that point. To be honest, I haven't been all that impressed with them when I've seen them out shopping.

I hope that helps. :)

12. May 20, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    Sharp LCD/LED are great quality. The thing about Sharp is they are pretty much making parts for all the other top T.V. brands. While Sharp may not incorporate all of thier technology into one single T.V. the are quite comparable to most of the top brands. I have a 52" Sharp Aquos 120hz 1080p LCD and the picture is incredible comparable to LG. Though I will say that Samsung seems to have the superior picture

13. May 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar

Great post, you ave helped narrow my selections down to a Samsong, LG, VIZIO....now I plan to go to the store and compare! So you say with me getting a 32 inch do not get the 1080p get the 720p(not sure what it is exactly 720 may not be right). What hrtz 60 120 or 240??

14. May 20, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

They actually have high altitude plasma tvs now (9000 ft above sea level) and a plasma is much more durable than a LCD - LIQUID crystal display in cold temp. Liquid will freeze, gas won't. LCD displays are also prone to heat.

15. May 20, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:

LCD displays are thinner than plasma and may not leak but will break easily. Anything with a glass screen will "burn in" it happens to CRT screens also reason being the same picture is shown everyday all day. A normal tv watching person will never experience "burn in" because the image on the screen changes constantly.
    Here is a pic of my 32" LCD after my daughter pulled it down face forward from it's 2' stand :

Pictures849_f73e6264616b0a60208d0cdd5ca6457b5856bd92.jpg

16. May 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    ^^ I don't disagree. I'm just saying unless you have a fixed image (paused video game) on the screen all day, you won't experience burn in. The previous pic is when the tv was on, when off it looks good as if nothing happened. I came home relaxed on the couch turned on the tv and was like WTF ?

Pictures848_24789a503b3a40ec786421d36154d0bf67cc5fda.jpg

17. May 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    ^^ Forgot about that, I haven't played video games in years. I definitely wouldn't recommend a plasma display if you're going to play video games.

18. May 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I will be playing xbox

19. May 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    DestroyerFan

DestroyerFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 MagGray PreRunner SR5 Sport
    Samsung touch of color.

20. May 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    My panasonic Plasma that I have had for a long time has seen its share of video game usage. I get a shadow of the game after playing a game for 2 or 3 hours, however after watching tv for about 10 min the ghosting goes away.

Products Discussed in

To Top