1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yay! New Laptop!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SManZ, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jun 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I finally got a new laptop today! :-D I'm so stoked! I did a little bit of research but this is my first ever laptop and all the new features are a little foreign to me but I'll get the hang of it. I'm on TW so there's 50% of my computing needs right there!It replaces my 7 year old desktop and 5 year old hand-me-down PCs.

The fan on the older one ran full speed as soon as it was turned on so it sounded like a hairdryer all the time. Both are slow as hell and full of bugs. The older one was blazing fast when I got it so I dunno what happened.

I was getting frustrated with them daily. Keyboard has been bam-fisted all to hell. The cases of both have been slapped around too. It was just time...Its this one

:)
    [​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...1218205766312&skuId=9988697&st=a665&cp=1&lp=1

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    Toshiba is a great laptop, you will enjoy it. I had one for about 5 years and loved it. About a year ago, I moved to MacBook Pro and I'm in love again. Both are really good machines.
    Good Luck!

3. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:03 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    So far its going great! Going to do some looking into and see if I can get Windows 7 to look and act more like XP.

Lol the guy at Best Buy was trying to sell me this optimization service. Told me the computer would be 25% faster if I did it lol. He showed me how quick it started up because the model he had was optimized. I am almost positive it was asleep and he just woke it up :p

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I hope your Toshiba holds up well. Mine was shit. :eek:

5. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:12 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lol I hope so too! You're up early...or late depending!

What went south with yours?

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Well, it was like 3 years ago, so hopefully the quality has improved since then. :p

It was just really slow from the start and the screen started developing imaginary pink lines that run across it. :eek:

It also got very hot, quick!

It also didn't run without being plugged into a power source after a year and a half, and that was after two batteries. Batteries are not cheap. :eek:

7. Jun 23, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i picked up a new toshiba 11.6" laptop acouple weeks ago. so far is a great little computer. i'm running windows 7 64bit on it. i've even managed to get my 3d cad software installed and running, decided to bump up the RAM to help with that.

8. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    the one thing i hate about buying a new computer is all the crap software that they install.

9. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I'm with you there. All the bloatware
    wipe the drive & lay down a fresh OS & load what you want. :)

Congrats to the OP on the new system. Trying to keep legacy equip running is a headache so it looks like you are set for a while!

10. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Right click on the desktop and click Personalize

On there, click Windows Classic on Basic and High Contrast Themes

That's if you want the classic theme, which I always choose.

11. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Bad thing about buying a home computer is that the OS disc that comes with the computer has all of the crap built in the install. Would have to buy a whole new OS or pirate a copy.

12. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lol it doesn't come with an OS disk. Its a $30 add-on at Best Buy :p

I did remove most of the crap, but there isn't much populating the programs list. Just one software installer program from Best Buy and some other minor thing was all I had to do to clean it up.

I installed Office XP, and I'll install Adobe Acrobat, and I'll be pretty much set!

jrdbrn thanks for the tip! I'll try that out when I get home tonight!

13. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top