1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Puter Savy folks help needed...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lowcountrytj, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj [OP] Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    I need a newer/faster Desktop or maybe Laptop...
    I have not been keeping up with the times as far as computers go. I have an old Dell...it has a 345 Intell Celeron D proc. 200 Gig Hard drive.
    Its got several years on it and is slow as Haiti's.
    I plan on using it strictly for pic storage and what not.Kids will probably use it for games.
    The new computer needs to be capable of a hell of a lot faster downloads....web,pics,video. The wifey does some work for someone and links in at night to do billing on their computer.
    I have midgrade internet with comcast now and may upgrade(if need be).
    I want something fast and that doesnt come with alot of B.S. loaded on it that slows it down.Ive been trying to free up this dinosaur but to no avail....I hope this helps.I hope you guys/gals dont mind taking time to give me some input.....Phillip:cool:

2. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    zomg

zomg Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    TRD CAI, Ultra-Gauge, All Weather Floor Mats, Rear Spring TSB, Avid Offroad Sliders, Spidertrax, Dynomax Superturbo, Bolt-on Grille
    Most PC manufacturers are rougly the same. Dell, HP, ASUS, Sony, Apple are all good. You will pay extra for Sony & Apple for a little extra style, but mostly just the name.

You basically want to get the best internals for your money. Look for Intel Core i5 or i7, 4+ GB of RAM, a 7200 rpm HDD or SSD, & a discrete video card (Nvidia or ATI).

I personally recommend ASUS laptops & newegg.com will probably give you the best price & customer service.

3. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...you might try to improve performance of what you have... i use a s/w utility called "revo uninstaller pro", it comes w/ a junk files cleaner, and some other things that can help get rid of bloat, and it can uninstall things that are really stubborn to get off there... also try defragging the hd, and moving the windows paging file to a different HDD or at least a different HDD partition (assuming this would apply to your setup)...

...as for new stuff, i must admit i'm not really "up" on the latest, ...but there are some vendors out there who will build a machine to your liking (you pick from certain components, and the OS and s/w you want) - some are sold as "kits" that you'll have to assemble yourself, but some will assemble it all for you... best bet is to install the OS (assuming windows?) yourself, that way you have the original installation media (so you could reinstall again if things go really wrong later), and you get to install a barebones OS w/out all the "bloatware" promo s/w and crap that alot of the "big box" vendors like dell, gateway, etc pre-install...

4. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    lowcountrytj

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info guys....I think Im gonna hang on to thid Dell and maybe do some upgrades but keep it handy for the kids and downloading pics and whatnot.
    I am def doing my homework on the new one but I need to decide on desktop or lapper. There are several that I have looked at so far. I really do appreciate yall taking time to help me out.....Phillip

5. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Check out ultrabooks by various manufacturers, very high quality setups. I recommend HP first followed by Dell.

6. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    maybe i'm old skrool, but if it's going to be situated in the home, i'd go w/ a desktop... i guess i feel the desktop's major advantages are the cooling capacity (which is diminished on laptops), which also probably factors into higher lifespans for the computer and components... also desktops afford you the ability to add components, and generally give you more flexibility on video and sound connections... if you want to setup mulitiple digital monitors i'd go w/ a desktop and a decent vid card..

7. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    lowcountrytj

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chadder and Wiley....That is pretty much where I am hung at right now. Thanks for your thoughts guys.
    Do yall use external drives for storage?....I might could do a nice laptop with external drive. Use the external for the wifes work stuff and keep from bogging the laptop down with BS.
    Hell,the newer computers come with a big enough drive in em with enough space you could store 3 libraries in 3 different languages:rolleyes:
    Anyways ,still on the hunt 10/4

8. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    you could always augment your storage w/ a external drive... quite frankly, if money wasn't an object, and depending on the latest "reliability" ratings, ...i'd consider getting something w/ an SSD for a master drive = for running the OS (doesn't need to be huge capacity), ...and then go w/ a HDD for a secondary drive (with more capacity)... this would take advantage of the fact that SSDs are relatively inexpensive in low/moderate capacities and "should" give a bit of performance edge w/ the OS and any apps requiring a lot of disk I/O, ...and the HDDs bring high capacity for low cost... best of both worlds...

Products Discussed in

To Top