1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Direct tv HD DVR

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TacoDawgfan, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Who has one? I'm getting fed up with mine! I just wanted to see if others are having the same issue as me? The thing runs like an old outdated computer. Try to change the channel and it has to sit and think about it for 2 minutes. And If I'm entering a 3 digit channel it only reads the first one and goes or tries to go to that channel. :mad: Me and my wife both fight with this crap from time to time.

I guess I need to call them which is a pita in itself but wanted to see if it's just my receivers or if others have the same issue? Also wanting to know because if it's a common issue I might change service.

A little venting on this. I'm sitting here watching the Braves game and at a pivotal moment in the game a message pops up saying the receiver needs to change the channel to record whatever. I pick up the remote to say don't record, stay on the channel. And of course the receiver doesn't take the command until it's too late and the channel changed right as a big hit takes place. Fumbled with the remote for like 3-5 minutes as the damn thing wouldn't respond! :mad: And that's no exaggeration. By the time I finally got the damn thing to switch back to the game the Braves had scored 4 runs! I'm fed up with this POS! $100 a month for this crap? I mean yes the picture is great but damn!

2. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Any HD DVR is basically an old computer POS, i have had them all, they all sux, two minutes I hope that is an exaggeration, if that is the case you need a new box. Tried a reboot lately, clear the dvr, sometimes erasing shows seems to get memory back.

3. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I did just recently delete some programs that didn't seem to help. I haven't rebooted lately, have done this before and can't say it really helped. It does this randomly. Sometimes it's fine then all of a sudden bam.

4. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    There basically all junk in my opinion. Worst part is wont DTV charge you $75 or so to come out unless you have that service plan crap.

5. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well the equipment is leased now so it is supposed be covered anyway. Last time I had an issue they shipped me a replacement and an empty box to return the old defective one. But I do have the insurance also anyway. That covers the dish, wiring, and what not.

I think it's because of this whole home thing now. I don't recall having this issue before, at least not as bad.

6. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    I've had it happen before. It sounds like the IR reader is going bad. Go into your menu and change to receive RF. Follow the directions and it should work. If it doesn't, call, complain, and tell them you want a new reciever. Ive done that too. I had one techs tell me the IR readers are crap. Hopefully that will work for the mean time.

7. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    You can always unplug/reset the receiver. Delete as much as you can from hard drive. I have had pretty good luck with mine and service has been pretty decent. But.....I do pay for the service agreement so that may be why. Maybe your batteries in the remote are bad. Oh and another thing stop the braves thing and start following the Red..

8. Aug 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    It's not the batteries, my wife keeps saying this also. But it's not because when I hit the channel numbers the receiver usually reads the numbers displaying them on the screen and just hangs there. It's like an old outdated computer not keeping up with the commands. At least that is the best way I can think to describe it.

9. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:36 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Is it connected to the internet? Mine is not but was wondering if this could be the problem.

10. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    What model receivers are yours?

I have 2 HR24s and they are fast and work great.

Both connected to the Internet. I can download shows and movies on demand and i can watch shows on my dvr from my iPad with a directv app.

11. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yes, one is and the other works off of that through the whole home connection.

One is an HR23 and the other I think is a HR20. Which could explain some of it since the HR20 (Master bedroom) seems to be the worst of the two.

That's interesting about the Ipad. So can you do that anywhere you have wifi? Also I guess that would work with an Iphone also?

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I know for sure the HD DVR are slower than a plain old HD box. I have the whole house thing too and the bedroom tv which just has the HD box is super fast compared to my HD DVR

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    kurtw

kurtw Extra Regular

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport - Sold / 2016 4runner Trail Premium
    Exact same thing happened to me. Turns out the internal hard drive was failing. I plugged in an external via sata, all is back to normal and happy.

That being said, DTV's 90 day warranty on equipment when they make you sign up for a 1-2 year contract is complete horse crap.

Products Discussed in

To Top