1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheapest way to get Windows on a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Killer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Killer

Killer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I got a newer MacBook Pro 64 Bit, 2Core 2.7 mhz, 750gb and 16gb Ram.

I wanted to see what is the cheapest way to get Windows 8 (or maybe 7) on it?

Do I need to buy the Pro Version of Windows 8?

Does Microsoft offer any type of student discount?

Thanks!

2. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    you will need to get the boot camp program and windows software. install the two. you will have to run boot camp to get the windows to run. I used it for a little bit and did not like it. it lagged very bad and didn't really work like windows should. I would say just buy a cheap laptop that has windows OS in it already. might be cheaper this way anyway.

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Run parallels. You can boot windows from inside Mac OS and it runs pretty smooth with 16gb of RAM. I run cad in Mac and graphics software in parallels and it doesn't slow my computer to bad once you have that much RAM

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Boot Camp is native to OSX, so there's no additional cost. Microsoft was running a special on Windows 8 when it first released, but I am not sure if it's still going. If not, check out newegg. Their pricing is usually pretty good. There's no need to get the professional version unless you're looking to add it to a domain.

5. Jan 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    There are a couple of options, depending on your needs.

Boot Camp, Free, from Apple, You just reboot your laptop into boot camp and start windows. You need to provide your own copy of windows.

VirtualBox, Free, from Oracle, It's an app that you run on Mac OSX (No need to reboot). Works perfect about 90% of the time (You get what you pay for). You need to provide your own copy of windows.

Parrallels, MSRP $79 seen as low as $49 recently, from Parallels, It's an app that allows you to run windows on your Mac OSX (No need to reboot). Works great and for a while came with a free version of Windows 8 (not sure if it still does), otherwise you have to provide your own copy of windows.

I have used all three of those options. I found that I hated rebooting just to run a program or play a game. So I only rebooted into boot camp when I absolutely had to. So I started using VirtualBox right when Oracle bought Sun (or bought VB from Sun, not sure which it was). I liked it, but was running into USB sharing issues. But I used it more than I did Boot Camp.

Right after Mtn Lion came out, so did Parallels 8, so I bought the full priced version. Which came with a copy of windows 8. One of the benefits of Parallels over the other two is coherent mode. You can launch a windows app just like it was a native Mac app. I use it for work to remote in. I am able to open my work's vnp website in IE :)mad:) with only one click of a button in Safari to launch IE. Also, I am able to switch windows and access Mail or anything else on my mac, something that you can't do with boot camp. It works perfectly 99% of the time, remember we are dealing with Microsoft here.

Microsoft usually does offer a student discount, google it or go through your school to see (they have business discounts too). You need to decide what you want windows for and how often you will need/want to access it.

6. Jan 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
  7. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    parallels is what i was thinking of. i didn't think boot camp was right after i posted that. sorry bud

Products Discussed in

To Top