1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

texas front plates

Discussion in 'Texas' started by bakerla, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sep 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    bakerla

bakerla [OP] Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
  2. Sep 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    I've had all kinds of vehicles since 1992 and never had front plates. Knock on wood, but I've never had any problems.

3. Sep 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights

Let me guess, you have had issues with the police before. You would be a good jailhouse lawyer....

I know of several people who have been issued tickets JUST for not having a front license plate. It's really not that big of a deal, its like most other equipment violations. Show the court that it has been fixed and ticket gets dismissed. And like i said before, not having a front LP is PC to be stopped just like a Dually not having mud flaps or even mud flaps that are not 10 inches from the ground.

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Central Texas (Austin area)
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4dr 4.0L TRD Sport
    Lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, CAI
    The dealer frame thing got repealed - so that's on hold for now - however, it is a reason to be pulled over -it's called "obscured LP" - in addition, you've been out muddin and your LP is covered in mud - you can be stopped for this exact same reason.

Not having a front LP is a violation - while agreed, to most of us, it's useless - but to cops its a good tool - for example - you get your truck swiped and you tell the cop - oh by the way it's missing the front LP - well this info is passed out to the cops on the street and across town a cop is driving along and guess what he see's???

A taco "with no front LP", matching the color that was given out and he/she can clue in on this and make the stop and get your ride back.

Another case in point - you and some buds have a couple of beers - your NOT intoxicated (so you think) but you get on the road and drive. With all the publicity on MADD there are DWI task forces out all the time to do nothing but watch for intoxicated drivers - well it's 3am and you pass by a cop with NO front LP and the cop see this, he/she can use this as "probable cause" to initiate a traffic stop. Yes it's probable cause - then during the interview between the cop/driver (that only had "a couple of beers") you now find your self under scrutiny for possible DWI.

You can see the end result - best practice - put your front LP on, per state law, and be done with it - it's just like changing your oil - why run it 50,000 miles - it just not worth the gamble.

Just my 2 cents.

Larry

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Actually, that's pretty incorrect. Where the hell you got that obtuse idea I don't know, but I'll put it this way: come have a beer, I'll introduce you to several friends of mine, and then repeat that statement to me.

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights

wow, seriously??? i would love to come by for a beer, shoot me a pm with your address so we can set something up. BTW, do i need to bring beer just for me or for your friends as well??? Let me know, i have some free time coming up.

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Yeah, you were right. "Reasonable suspicion" is what I was referring to, or at least trying to anyways lol.

No thanks champ, the State and cities they work for pays them well enough to afford beer. Thanks though.

8. Sep 24, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    yeah, thats what i thought. You have to rely on your "friends" to do your dirty work. BTW, i probably work with your friends!!!! Are we done yet???

9. Sep 25, 2010 at 2:53 AM
    KellyJoe

KellyJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Victoria, TX
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCSB
    Just stumbled on this as a FNG (to TW) that just moved back to Texas a year ago. FWIW my neighbor just got pulled over and ticketed for this very reason just a few days ago. Three doors down from her house mind you. They didn't want to drill into the facia of her new Camaro SS and plan to do the throw it up in the window thing from now on. Glad I read the link and will pass it along to get ready for more tickets. :D

10. Sep 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Central Texas (Austin area)
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4dr 4.0L TRD Sport
    Lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, CAI
    Camaro:
    [​IMG]

11. Oct 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    trianimal

trianimal Certified

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 BSP
    TRD Supercharger, URD UCONN EMS, URD 2.85 pulley, URD 7th Injector, DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, URD 02 Sensor, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD cat-back exhaust, TRD CAI, Donahoe Racing (pre-Icon) 2.5" dia. adj. front & rear resi shocks, All-Pro Offroad 3" rear leafs, All-Pro Offroad U-bolt flip kit, All Pro-Offroad Aluminum Skid Plate, Light Racing UCAs, Tom Woods 1-piece driveshaft, Shrockworks sliders, Avid light bar w/o lower tubes and a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED Driving lights, Toytec diff drop, Color matched grille, Diaz Devil Horns, Redline hood struts, EZ Down tailgate, Undercover bed cover, 750 watts of sound (JVC, Morrel, Rockford-Fosgate & Infinity), BHLM w/ PIAA 4000K, FLM w/PIAA 4000K, LED interior lights. FN wheels with Toyo Open Country A/T II 285/75R 16 tires
    You don't have the option to pick and choose which laws you'd like to follow...unless your'e a democrat.

12. Oct 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    DubyaDawg

DubyaDawg Underprepared and Overconfident

Member:
    Tulsa/Norman, OK
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Avid Light Bar, KC Dayliters, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, TRD Center Caps, Fog Light Anytime Mod.
    My step dad (ex Houston PD) was pulled over on the highway in TX for having a too dark window tint and no front license plate. The vehicle was a Charger owned by the state given to him for legislative work. lol.

13. Jan 13, 2022 at 10:05 PM
    robin303

robin303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robin
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport
    Screw them. I doubt if my ass is getting pulled over with all the phony paper plate thing.

20210618_092738_04287975f216336865fe1f0c538fb9dffb39cf7c.jpg

20210118_152211_456fe460a4159e3f54fe128a49cad1dc33cbbe41.jpg

:oldglory:

14. Jan 14, 2022 at 3:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Life must be really great for a license plate up front to be an actual issue.....fantasy problem, rebel!

Products Discussed in

To Top