1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good shop

Discussion in 'Texas' started by samsung, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    samsung

samsung [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    anybody here in houston texas know of a good shop to install OME complete lift kit?

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    Nobody can chime in.

3. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    You can probably do it yourself. I did mine with the help of a friend. Did the front 1 day and the rear the next.
    When I did the front I took the front stock struts and the OME to a shop so they could assemble them. You will reuse your stock top plates. I think toytec had a really good write up. I found it using google.
    I had never done anything like this and it was much easier than I thought. Just make sure you have the time set aside and take your time.

4. Jul 6, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    after doing a lot of research here, there is a few good threads that i can follow. i'm also replacing my uca's and by reading the threads in here, i have to either bend the inner fender or cut the bolts to get them out. can you tell me which shop you took it to get the coil and struts assembled?
    appreciate your help.

5. Jul 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    dont cut the bolts, bend the inner fender. it's best to have a set of extra hands when doing the ucas. what side of houston are located?

6. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I dont know the name of the shop I took the struts to. It is a little hole in the wall my buddy works at. It only took about 15 minutes to do. Also I am a little far from you being in Arlington.
    Most locally owned shops would probably assemble the struts for about $50 giver or take. Just stop by one while you are out and ask them if they can do it.

It sounds like Bakerla might be able to help. He is a good guy and can at least give you info if nothing else.

7. Jul 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    thanks for your input. i'll probably hit bakerla for some help since he's not too far from me.:D

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    i'm in the sugar land area. you wanna help me put those in?:D

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    i can help out if you're off on fridays, or a morning during the week. i dont have an 8-5 job. do you have rear leafs to replace too?

you could find a firestone or ntb to do the spring compression and swap shocks. either check with the manager and promise them an alignment since you'll need one anyway or go straight to a tech in the back shop.

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the offer. i don't have my lift yet but i will be ordering them from wheelers here pretty soon. and yes i will be having the dakar leaf spring that comes with the kit. do you know if the truck will sit leveled or will the rear be a littler higher? how long do you think it will take to do the lift?

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I did 885 springs and the back sits higher. I will be ordering the 1/2" top plate spacer to make it sit a little more level. The back will still be a little higher. Get a quote from trdparts4u.com. They were great to deal with.
    You will need 4 new bushings for the rear mounts on the leafs. Put some antisieze on them and use 2x4 blocks to hammer them in.
    This is the only pic I have after the lift on level ground.
    e277e796_a9e30fad10b92ad29ab7b144f9457c220760bb90.jpg

This is before.
    DSCN5536_d64689f6ea1a64f34940efd807d9404bf22ad1d0.jpg

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    good looking truck maan. i'm going with 886's since i have an ARB and winch combo. with your lift did you have any problem with the brake hoses? i've heard sometimes those hoses are pretty tight in there.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    we did a buddy of mines setup just as you are doing in a full day w/ 3 people. these rear leafs were a bugger to get hung, but as tex said, 2x4s and leverage saved the day.

once you get your lift, you should do a wrench meet at your place and have folks over to help and work on their trucks.

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have not done anything to my brake lines. I need to but when I had the rear sagged all the way while putting the leafs on they were fine. It was about to the max but ok. I just took it out last weekend for the first time with lift and no issues.
    Use jack stands on the frame and a floor jack to raise and lower the rear axle. Do one side at a time. I used a ratchet strap to help at 1 point to get the springs in place.
    Since you are doing 886 springs just do the 1/4" spacer for the driver side. It goes on the bottom of the coil spring.
    Barb and Jacque at TRDparts4u both have the 886 springs with the ARB and it sita great in the front. Also leave your swaybar off with the new lift. The turning difference was barley noticeable.

Stock brake lines with flex. No issues from this but I will get longer lines soon
    DSCN5931_50b5c1829d43ff5a9477f309c436ca8104362771.jpg

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    that sounds good maan. i will be hitting you up here in a couple of weeks and get this done.

16. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    very good information, gives me a lot more confidence in doing it myself. now looking at your rear bumper, i want one too, well maybe after my lift. lol

17. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I am telling you it really is not that hard. You can do it if you have confidence and follow the directions online.
    The bumper was added due to the stock suffering damage as well as the lower part of the rear fender.

Products Discussed in

To Top