Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Has anyone taken an off-road trip to Big Bend?

Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone taken an off-road trip to Big Bend?

Was looking for a good place to take a week long offroad trip and was wondering if any of you Texas guys had been out there. I'm thinking the first week in August
Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Never been, though its on my list. Check out centraloverland.com. they have made several trips out there, good pics and info.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for using info from central overland for info. I have read that the state park has more rugged trails than the national park.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I went out there about 10 years ago. It is VERY rugged in some areas. Plan on using 4x4. You will have to move some large rocks or find alternate routes down some roads (roads term is not quite accurate). The biggest problem we ran into is crossing old stream/river beds because the flash floods wash them out so bad and carry large boulders into the beds. The other problem (to avoid if possible) is the slick rock off angle approach and departures. Also be advised - the roads are only patroled once every couple of weeks ....at least that is what the signs say. We never saw a ranger in the 5 days we were there. But things along the river have changed a lot over the years. In some places you cannot even get radio reception. No guns or fires are allowed. Although we both took pistols with us....just in case. Saw lots of wild burrows and quite a few birds flying over that you could hear the air going over their wings. Checked out some old caves where miners had tried their hand at gold digging and watched dead cattle float down the Rio Grande - which you will not be able to see these days since it is so dry here in Texas. Be safe and have fun if you go.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Guns laws have sinced changed. Just don't display it or carry it in facilties and buildings at the parks.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
Never been, though its on my list. Check out centraloverland.com. they have made several trips out there, good pics and info.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidfor View Post
I went out there about 10 years ago. It is VERY rugged in some areas. Plan on using 4x4. You will have to move some large rocks or find alternate routes down some roads (roads term is not quite accurate). The biggest problem we ran into is crossing old stream/river beds because the flash floods wash them out so bad and carry large boulders into the beds. The other problem (to avoid if possible) is the slick rock off angle approach and departures. Also be advised - the roads are only patroled once every couple of weeks ....at least that is what the signs say. We never saw a ranger in the 5 days we were there. But things along the river have changed a lot over the years. In some places you cannot even get radio reception. No guns or fires are allowed. Although we both took pistols with us....just in case. Saw lots of wild burrows and quite a few birds flying over that you could hear the air going over their wings. Checked out some old caves where miners had tried their hand at gold digging and watched dead cattle float down the Rio Grande - which you will not be able to see these days since it is so dry here in Texas. Be safe and have fun if you go.
Thanks for the info. One of my fraternity brothers just came back from Big Bend and he said that the trails they went on were done in a stock 2wd Suburban. Hopefully bu then i'll be lifted w/ 285's but will still only be 2wd Good to know on the gun rules. Thats definitely one part of the country where I would want some heat with me. So the national park would be a better place for me to go it seems
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
We went a couple of years ago in November. Had a great time! I don't remember the roads being too bad. We did Black Gap road, which I think is the trickiest one there, in my jeep. I notice that you have a 2wd, so it might be a little tougher for you.

Make sure you go on "The Window" hiking trail. Words cannot describe it. It's definitely a must if you drive all the way out there.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to remember about getting out there is it really is a looong trip across Texas. The drive out there alone can wear a person out. Other than that I have some friends that go out there with their quads and side-by-sides every year and they love it out there.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #9

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses everybody!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who are interested in this here is the link

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lou...ml#post4372575
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Tacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Tacodriver08's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on what Tx_Shooter said. That drive if made in one day can wear a person out, but other than that its amazing out there. If you visit the Big Bend website they have a list of what they call their primitive dirt roads. Some are just rough as hell and others will require a vehicle with high clearance. I know they recommend a 4x4 for black gap rd though for sure.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up: There is a section of hwy that spans 120 miles with no gas stations once you get to west tx.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #13

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Just a heads up: There is a section of hwy that spans 120 miles with no gas stations once you get to west tx.
Thanks, definitely plan on carrying some spare jerry cans around with me
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
oliverlove will become famous soon enough

Name: Oliver
oliverlove's Tacoma Gallery
I was there this past november. If you want to do any trails that are difficult head to the state park ranch, not the national park.

If you have any questions pm me, I spent 4 days on dirt between the 2 parks.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #15

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlove View Post
I was there this past november. If you want to do any trails that are difficult head to the state park ranch, not the national park.

If you have any questions pm me, I spent 4 days on dirt between the 2 parks.
Awesome man, thanks!

I'm 2wd but plan on being lifted 3" on 33's when I go down there. Looking at doing a bunch of prerunning.

However I will be with some 4x4's. Were you 2wd or 4wd?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
oliverlove will become famous soon enough

Name: Oliver
oliverlove's Tacoma Gallery
I was running stock suspension with some new tires, 4x4. The National Park only called for 4x4 on black gap rd, and only for a short distance.

State Park we did well over 100 miles in 4x4.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Jeeps Suck
phillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeeps Suck
phillstill's Tacoma Gallery
I took a trip to Big Bend Ranch State Park during the Christmas break and it was amazing. I had a 2wd Chevy so I stayed clear of some of the more rough trails but now I have my Tacoma 4x4 and I can't wait to get back out there. I recommend you stay at the Tres Papalotes camp site. I takes two to three hour to get there from the ranger station but it was well work it. Plus it has an outhouse, an abandoned cabin and some good hiking in the area.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks guys!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey TexasPhillyTacoma; don't forget to check in at the Tx BS Thread if you haven't already.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Jeeps Suck
phillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeeps Suck
phillstill's Tacoma Gallery
Will do, thanks.